Veteran LB Thomas Davis to retire after this season

RaidersAreOne

He came back from three torn ACLs - and still played at a pretty high level.

I remember he played S in college, and there was a debate on whether he'd stick to S or move to LB in the pros - seems like moving to LB worked out for him.

3 hours ago, ET80 said:

He came back from three torn ACLs - and still played at a pretty high level.

I remember he played S in college, and there was a debate on whether he'd stick to S or move to LB in the pros - seems like moving to LB worked out for him.

Yeah, the fact that he managed to still be one of the better off-ball linebackers speaks volumes. An impressive career, made the Super Bowl with the Panthers back in 2016, but will missing out on getting that elusive ring cost him a bid into the Hall of Fame?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RuskieTitan said:

Yeah, the fact that he managed to still be one of the better off-ball linebackers speaks volumes. An impressive career, made the Super Bowl with the Panthers back in 2016, but will missing out on getting that elusive ring cost him a bid into the Hall of Fame?

I don't think it's the lack of ring that will cost him but more because he doesn't have the resume to justify it.  It's more than a coincidence that his best seasons happened when Keuchly was in his prime. 

His lone 1st team All-Pro was playing next to Kuechly's incredible DPoY season,  his 2nd team All-Pro in 2013 happened during the year Keuchly's breakout year. All 3 of his pro Bowls were at the ages of 32-34, coincidentally,  during Keuchly's prime years. 

Now this isn't meant to bash Davis or anything either,  he was a really good LB for a long time, he just wasn't a HoF caliber player. 

Congrats to him though.  Any player who can say they played in the NFL for 16 years should be proud of themselves just for that accomplished alone. I wish him the best. 

All 13 INTs in his career.

Edited by JAF-N72EX