What is Jordan Love's trade value?

Apparition

This is something I haven't seen mentioned in a while, but with the season Rodgers has had, it seems far less likely than it did at draft time that Rodgers will be relinquishing the Packers starting role any time soon. 

So what do the Packers do with the guy they drafted in round 1, ostensibly to succeed him? Is it possible that a QB-needy team that loses out on one of this year's top prospects decides to take a flyer on him?

Even though Rodgers had a fantastic season, that doesn’t mean any plans have changed. Rodgers could have another Top 5 QB season in 2021, and then dwindles off in 2022 with regression of the 8-12 Range. Then you have Jordan Love after 3 seasons, the same as Rodgers from 2005-2007. 

After the 2022 season is complete, Rodgers will be 40 years old. The Packers can cut him after that year with almost no dead cap, allowing him to either retire or sign a 2 year deal with another team to finish his career. 

• Like 4

I I mean, his value is worth more to the a packers regardless. I doubt he ever gets traded unless he’s just not good, but that would be the Packers just admitting they successor candidate isn’t good enough to be a successor. 

by the time,e Rodgers contract ends, I think he’s going to be 39/40.  Which will be worse in GB if his arm strength deteriorates in the same way as Brees and Brady’s compared to their situations this year(in a dome/warm weather) IF Love shows any potential, he’s likely starting in GB his 5th year after Rodgers contract expires. Otherwise you end up like the Patriots, you’re forced to take a QB high a different year if you trade Love, but if Rodgers leaves on his own, like Brady did, your screwed for a year

1 hour ago, Starless said:

This is something I haven't seen mentioned in a while, but with the season Rodgers has had, it seems far less likely than it did at draft time that Rodgers will be relinquishing the Packers starting role any time soon. 

So what do the Packers do with the guy they drafted in round 1, ostensibly to succeed him? Is it possible that a QB-needy team that loses out on one of this year's top prospects decides to take a flyer on him?

Brett Favre had the best season of his career at the age of 40 in 2009, and then he fell off a cliff a year later.  Once a player hits 40, the clock really starts ticking.  I wouldn't be too quick to get rid of a QB you spent a first round pick on before even seeing him play.

• Like 3

Probably close to the Deshone Kizer trade from Cleveland to Green Bay. One for one with another first/second round guy roughly the same age at a position the team wants to upgrade and then a mid round swap of picks to balance it. NKeal Harry or Parris Campbell (but a version without injury history probably... Pittman?) might make sense in that sort of a deal if NE or IND was interested in that route and GB is all in on Rodgers for the duration Love would be under contract (and I'd think they'd have to have not been very "wowed" by Love otherwise they'd need considerably more and likely is just not available).

Edited by Trojan

11 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

Brett Favre had the best season of his career at the age of 40 in 2009, and then he fell off a cliff a year later.  Once a player hits 40, the clock really starts ticking.  I wouldn't be too quick to get rid of a QB you spent a first round pick on before even seeing him play.

Literally. Brady is the only true exception, and perhaps that man isn’t human. 40 is the ticking bomb. 

I’d expect Rodgers to have another Top 5-6 QB season in 2021, and start to dwindle off in 2022 around 8-12. He’ll be over 40 at the start of the 2023 season, which would be Love’s 4th year. It would also be Rodgers final year of his contract. 

Then you have Love on a 5th year option to start his first season. 

Could go like this:

2021: Rodgers Top 5 QB season

2022: Rodgers Top 8-10 QB season

2023: (starts this season at 40) Top 12-14 QB season, Packers don’t renew his contract after the season. 

2024: Love starts his first season, under the 5th year option. 

Edited by BayRaider
  • Like 1