Other Teams Hiring Our Staff (for GM or HC) - News and Discussion

diamondbull424

I was just going to add this to the Random thoughts thread, but it’s possible that Wink and Roman could find themselves interviewing for positions once again and this could be a valuable thread to update with new info.

Anyways, the idea of Wink Martindale being a top HC candidate once again, sort of makes me believe that he will be gone after this season. I’m not as concerned as last season from this taking away from the team considering zoom interviews involve far less distraction than leaving for another city and such.

I found the part interesting where they mention him having Marvin Lewis on his staff as a DC would be pretty scary proposition. It’s interesting that Wink is a 34 defense guy, while Lewis is a 43 defense guy though, I feel like Lovie Smith is also a 43 guy, but I can’t recall exactly.

Have to wonder at this point, what coach would take over as our defensive coordinator for the unit if Wink leaves the post. Probably Chris Hewitt considering his title as the pass defense coordinator. That said, I think Joe Cullen might be the best bet. We’ve seen tremendous growth from our DL prospects under his guidance. Whether it was Brandon Williams, Michael Pierce, or Justin Madubuike he’s seemingly been developing these guys and getting the best out of them.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

If Wink leaves, I think we 100% need to keep Roman (even though I want him back regardless).

Two new coordinators in the same offseason under the "Lamar rookie window" may be counterproductive to our ultimate goal of winning a chip before we have to pay Lamar. 

Agreed. Though Roman is still in my dog house. To me, I need to see it in the playoffs. With Wink, he proved his mettle in that 2018 playoff game vs Rivers and co.

With Roman, I wasn’t impressed with his gameplan in 2019 for the playoffs, he didn’t have his unit ready to play and he was on that 2018 staff as well.

Also the other things that I’ve stated in other threads. I think bringing him back with Wink gone, makes the most sense... though if we had to lose either of our coordinators to a HC vacancy, I’d be lying if I said, I’d rather it be Wink and not Roman... though I think Roman would actually make the better HC of the two tbqh.

1 minute ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Wink is only gone if another team thinks his personality is a HC-style fit. I personally don't think it is, but we'll see. G-Ro is probably still gonna be here.

I assumed there would be insane pressure on teams to make minority hires too. In light of the NFL's embrace of BLM, etc. Which would make keeping our guys easier.

Most of that energy has died down it seems though. 

How both of them perform in the playoffs could change the likelihood of an exit as well. Neither has distinguished themselves in that regard.

39 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

I predicted at midseason both Roman and Wink would stay. Not as confident now.

I think Wink will be the one left to stay. Roman just put up back to back 3000 yd rushing season and with Lamar turning the corner, plus with him being 48 years old, 9 years younger than Wink... I think that will play a strong factor. We’ll probably be forced to lose both Roman and James Urban, who moves to be Roman’s OC.

I’ll guess and say he gets the Jet’s job to develop Justin Fields at QB. The Jets quickest path to improvement looks like it’ll be spending their cash on improving that OL with quality FA acquisitions. Which I think top UFA will be very attracted to playing for Roman where they get to be out there playing bully ball. I see Brandon Scherff, Alex Mack, and/or Matt Skura as guys who might go there. Then with a built OL, draft Najee Harris to form a powerful rushing attack. Then sure up their secondary.

A guy like Roman with Fields and an OL could get them a strong rushing attack and with a few more defensive pieces in tow, plus the return of Mosley... that has the feel of a darkhorse playoff team. Could certainly see them outcompete the Dolphins, if Tua doesn’t improve as much as Dolphins fans would hope.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

I think Wink will be the one left to stay. Roman just put up back to back 3000 yd rushing season and with Lamar turning the corner, plus with him being 48 years old, 9 years younger than Wink... I think that will play a strong factor. We’ll probably be forced to lose both Roman and James Urban, who moves to be Roman’s OC.

I’ll guess and say he gets the Jet’s job to develop Justin Fields at QB. The Jets quickest path to improvement looks like it’ll be spending their cash on improving that OL with quality FA acquisitions. Which I think top UFA will be very attracted to playing for Roman where they get to be out there playing bully ball. I see Brandon Scherff, Alex Mack, and/or Matt Skura as guys who might go there. Then with a built OL, draft Najee Harris to form a powerful rushing attack. Then sure up their secondary.

A guy like Roman with Fields and an OL could get them a strong rushing attack and with a few more defensive pieces in tow, plus the return of Mosley... that has the feel of a darkhorse playoff team. Could certainly see them outcompete the Dolphins, if Tua doesn’t improve as much as Dolphins fans would hope.

I was actually doing a mock draft for the Jets and they seem to have a ton of options for how they want to handle the offseason. I actually really like the idea of a HC like Roman for them, but mainly if they opt to retain Darnold. Draft guys like Penei Sewell and Creed Humphrey with their first two picks, get Alex Lewis back healthy next year, retain Pat Elflein or go after Joe Thuney. Then draft a couple of bruisers like Harris and/or Sermon, and add some capable blockers at WR/TE and they could surprise some folks...

Sewell
Lewis
Humphrey
Eiflen/Thuney
Becton

Should at least stop Darnold from seeing anymore "ghosts" lol.

7 hours ago, coordinator0 said:

If the Ravens want to keep Urban on as their own OC in that scenario I don't see any reason why he wouldn't just stay. The Ravens are in a much more favorable position offensively. Well, kind of.

I think I'd rather it be Urban just based on him having worked with Lamar so closely, but I have a feeling Culley is next in line for the OC job if Roman leaves considering when he was brought in he was immediately handed senior-level roles as passing game coordinator and assistant head coach. Harbaugh was even talking him up today as a potential head coaching candidate. 

As far as I know neither of them have playcalling experience so kind of hard to really game out who would be the better option. Can't say I've been thrilled with the passing game schemes but it's also hard to know how much of that is Culley and how much of that is Roman and the general reality of playing with heavy TE and FB sets and mediocre WR's. 

Edited by SalvadorsDeli

9 hours ago, RavensTillIDie said:

I was actually doing a mock draft for the Jets and they seem to have a ton of options for how they want to handle the offseason. I actually really like the idea of a HC like Roman for them, but mainly if they opt to retain Darnold. Draft guys like Penei Sewell and Creed Humphrey with their first two picks, get Alex Lewis back healthy next year, retain Pat Elflein or go after Joe Thuney. Then draft a couple of bruisers like Harris and/or Sermon, and add some capable blockers at WR/TE and they could surprise some folks...

Sewell
Lewis
Humphrey
Eiflen/Thuney
Becton

Should at least stop Darnold from seeing anymore "ghosts" lol.

I just can’t get down with the idea of keeping Darnold. Would cripple their franchise IMO. Not because I don’t think Darnold can turn it around, but because even if he does, they’ll still be left in a limbo status with whether he’s good or not... and because they wouldn’t have picked up his 5th year option he could move on to another situation if he finds it more beneficial. Whereas now they could still trade him for a 2nd/3rd for another team that isn’t picking top 5 to gamble with that prospect... plus I just think Fields is more special a QB prospect. I never really saw “it” with Darnold. I thought Lamar and Baker were easily the better QBs that year.

I also wouldn’t want to move Becton from LT. Even with as good as Sewell is... and I think the Dolphins should move Austin Jackson to RT to accommodate Sewell, Becton already looks like an AP at LT.

Outside of that, Creed Humphrey would absolutely be a beastly 1st round pick for them as well. I’m a big proponent in center being the 2nd most important position along the OL. Suring that spot up with Creed is actually a brilliant idea.

2 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

I just can’t get down with the idea of keeping Darnold. Would cripple their franchise IMO. Not because I don’t think Darnold can turn it around, but because even if he does, they’ll still be left in a limbo status with whether he’s good or not... and because they wouldn’t have picked up his 5th year option he could move on to another situation if he finds it more beneficial. Whereas now they could still trade him for a 2nd/3rd for another team that isn’t picking top 5 to gamble with that prospect... plus I just think Fields is more special a QB prospect. I never really saw “it” with Darnold. I thought Lamar and Baker were easily the better QBs that year.

I also wouldn’t want to move Becton from LT. Even with as good as Sewell is... and I think the Dolphins should move Austin Jackson to RT to accommodate Sewell, Becton already looks like an AP at LT.

Outside of that, Creed Humphrey would absolutely be a beastly 1st round pick for them as well. I’m a big proponent in center being the 2nd most important position along the OL. Suring that spot up with Creed is actually a brilliant idea.

Im personally in favor of them keeping Darnold simply because I'm not a big fan of either Fields or Wilson. Hot take that I'm not overly pressed on sharing on this forum, I believe Kyle Trask to be the second best QB in this draft behind Lawrence. And currently, most mock drafts having him falling to the second round. Let Darnold play out his contract, develop Trask for a year. Acquire more draft capital & really strike in 2022.

Talking to the Jets fans, sounds like Lewis started playing horribly after getting paid and is likely to be cut, so maybe they do go after Thuney in FA. Still, that kind of line with high level talent would really be showcased with a less mobile QB such as Darnold or Trask.