Other Teams Hiring Our Staff (for GM or HC) - News and Discussion

diamondbull424

30 minutes ago, RavensTillIDie said:

Im personally in favor of them keeping Darnold simply because I'm not a big fan of either Fields or Wilson. Hot take that I'm not overly pressed on sharing on this forum, I believe Kyle Trask to be the second best QB in this draft behind Lawrence. And currently, most mock drafts having him falling to the second round. Let Darnold play out his contract, develop Trask for a year. Acquire more draft capital & really strike in 2022.

Talking to the Jets fans, sounds like Lewis started playing horribly after getting paid and is likely to be cut, so maybe they do go after Thuney in FA. Still, that kind of line with high level talent would really be showcased with a less mobile QB such as Darnold or Trask. 

Got you, well I suppose we’ll have to agree to disagree on Fields. I haven’t watched a ton of Wilson because we don’t need a QB, but Wilson reminds me of Baker only he protects himself as a runner about as well as a young Josh Allen and/or Joe Burrow. I like Trask, but I don’t think he has enough plus traits and thus can be defended against. That Florida offense also seemed different in each of the games that Pitts wasn’t there. But yeah, to each their own on that front.

But you’re right they do have plenty of options they can go with in fixing their team. Though I think all of the best options would have them focus heavily on improving their ability to run the football and play good defense.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sp6488 said:

Wow, interesting. Particularly that he turned down the interview. 

Could be gunning for Pat Moriarity’s position as capologist. Considering Pat’s long tenure/stability with the team, he might be more interested in that type of longevity over taking a GM role with far less job stability. I could certainly see the decision making sense, especially considering the Panthers haven’t proven to be the most stable of organizations, to this point in time.

But yeah... even considering that, it’s still pretty surprising that he didn't at least take the interview as prep.

Edited by diamondbull424

5 hours ago, sp6488 said:

Wow, interesting. Particularly that he turned down the interview. 

Yeah that's interesting. Only thing I can think is that either he's under the impression the Panthers are already keyed in on a certain candidate and he'd be wasting his time, or maybe he's willing to be selective about when he makes a move up and the Panthers job isn't as appealing because of how much power Matt Rhule will have in personnel decisions there. 

7 hours ago, SalvadorsDeli said:

I believe along with Chris Hewitt and Joe Cullen, he was supposedly one of the top internal candidates to replace Wink if he leaves, so I wonder if he waits to see what happens there before leaving. Either that or he already has a sense that he's not next-in-line here. 

Or perhaps the sense is that Wink will be around for the near future (at least 2021). Given the harbaugh connection, this could be helping advance the career of a guy who’s effectively blocked here. 

22 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

oh my god if someone hired him away from us my dreams would come true.

I mean, all things considered, Culley has done a better job preparing the young guys than Bobby Engram previously did. I would attest the lack of production more so due to our scheme, play calling and individual talent than positional coaching. Not to say I don't think the position can be upgraded or that Culley is a make or break piece, but I think the detriment he poses to our WRs is often over-exaggerated.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, RavensTillIDie said:

I mean, all things considered, Culley has done a better job preparing the young guys than Bobby Engram previously did.

That's not exactly a high bar to clear

He might not be a detriment to the WRs, but there isn't exactly evidence that he brings anything positive to the passing game either despite his secondary title as "passing game coordinator"

1 hour ago, drd23 said:

He might not be a detriment to the WRs, but there isn't exactly evidence that he brings anything positive to the passing game either despite his secondary title as "passing game coordinator"

I don't disagree. My point is merely that we should not expect his departure to be the singular move that catapults our receiving corps up the rankings.

4 hours ago, RavensTillIDie said:

I don't disagree. My point is merely that we should not expect his departure to be the singular move that catapults our receiving corps up the rankings.

We as a fanbase will never forgot that one time getting rid of coach we really hated of a maligned unit paid off immediately in a historic postseason tear and delivered us a SB. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, drd23 said:

Conversely there isn’t any evidence to suggest that he isn’t helping to prop Roman up either. While Roman has never had a QB quite on Lamar’s level, he also has never had a QB lead the league in passing with a 9% TD rate and a 1% INT rate before either.

We could be getting rid of Culley and downgrading potential aspects of this team. Let’s look at Roman’s tenure as OC in the redzone:
SF: 2011- 30th
SF: 2012- 15th
SF: 2013- 15th
SF: 2014- 29th
BUF: 2015- 24th
BUF: 2016- 7th
BAL: 2019- 4th
BAL: 2020- 13th

Looking at his track record, I’m not sure we can confidently say that, perhaps Culley hasn’t helped to improve this aspect of Roman’s track record. If not for the 2016 season in Buffalo, you’d really have to question Roman’s track record in the red zone. Was that a turning point? Or was it some sort of outlier that Culley has helped to shape into a trend?

Since we don’t know and considering Culley is at least getting interview requests could mean NFL staffs have respect to what he brings to the table.

Regardless though, losing a LB coach, potentially a DC, and potentially Culley or Roman certainly means we’ll need to reload the coaching revolver this offseason.

Edited by diamondbull424
Grammar issue and forgot I was editing a part when the website updated, forgot I hadn’t finished doing so.
  • Like 2

Silver lining here, losing some of our assistants without either coordinator leaving could be a good way to get some innovative ideas in the building without completely changing systems or dealing with having to terminate someone. For instance, I would love to get someone from an innovative college system on the offensive side of the ball. An opportunity to work at the pro level, particularly with Lamar and this offense, may be really alluring to even some of the top college assistants at big programs.

• Like 2