Other Teams Hiring Our Staff (for GM or HC) - News and Discussion

diamondbull424

26 minutes ago, famousj said:

Yeah. expect the Jets to players to pilfer more players and coaches from the Ravens for their same-ol-jets team.   

IDK. There might be some of that, but given the HC and OC have come from SF I think there's a fair chance they'll target 49er FAs the coaching staff is already familiar with too

3 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Love what I've read on Hewitt the past few days working his way up the ranks there. Any thoughts on him from you guys?

I remember I used to hate him when he was our secondary/CB's coach back in the 2013-2016 days. Just a god awful secondary coach. He seems to have improved but I mean we've invested a TON of talent into our secondary, and most of those guys haven't really been "developed" except for Deshon Elliott and Chuck Clark (not sure how much Hewitt has to do with those guys specifically).

Our pass defense has been pretty solid for the last couple of years, I just don't know how much of that is pure coaching or pure talent or a mixture. I will say that Wink and Hewitt seem to put guys where they thrive the best and let them play like that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, baltimoreRebel said:

Figures... 

If this team underachieves on offense once again in the postseason and Urban goes on to have success elsewhere... Harbaugh deserves every bit of the hot seat coming his way. He wants to go ‘business as usual’ and go to bat for his OC, well join him with the wolves.

And let me be clear before someone gets bent, if this offense has ANOTHER performance like they’ve had the last 2 seasons in the playoffs then he should be on the hot seat in 2022. Back in 2012 the move to fire Cam Cameron mid-season was indeed brave, but it was a move well past it’s expiration date. Couple that with his TO choices of late and his loyalty, while commendable, also shares its name with complacency in this case.

Greg Roman joins Cam Cameron and Greg Mattison as the two other coaches I felt were holding this team back. Hopefully Roman is fired sooner rather than later... because make no mistake, I actually LIKE John Harbaugh.

Edited by diamondbull424

7 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Love what I've read on Hewitt the past few days working his way up the ranks there. Any thoughts on him from you guys?

I think he’s done a pretty good job. Early on, I think the high level draft talents that failed under his watch (Matt Elam and Terrance Brooks) definitely didn’t help his cause.

However Marlon coming out had an issue with not getting his head around in coverage, that’s improved. We’ve seen clear development from Anthony Averrett from absolutely bottom feeder to respectable defender. We’ve seen late round DBs in Chuck Clark and DeShon Elliot display some progression into solid NFL players. We’ve seen vets join the team mid season and they’ve found a way to do a solid job in getting those guys acclimated and up-to-speed pretty quickly and soundly.

So the start might have been a bit rocky, but his recent coaching quality IMO displays him as someone that is DC quality and potentially a very good one at that. I’d say what he’s done has given me enough confidence that he could do about as well as Chuck Pagano had he taken over our defense in Wink’s stead. Heck, I had more question marks for Wink than I do for Hewitt. There’s a lot to love about his resume. Factor in the level of success that former Ravens defensive coaches seem to enjoy around the league, be it Pagano, Rex, Marvin Lewis, Nolan for awhile, etc... I’d definitely feel confident that you’re getting someone that can AT LEAST be league average, if not very likely above that.

• Like 1

Definitely frustrating but if there's one area where I don't really worry about our ability to reload it's on the defensive coaching staff. It has always been a coach's factory for the rest of the league and whoever we bring in to replace these guys will inevitably be the hot names for coordinator if not head coaching jobs before long. Which also makes it a lot easier to recruit replacements. 

Is Zach Orr still working with the organization? If so I wonder if he gets moved into a new role to help replace McDonald. 

19 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

If this team underachieves on offense once again in the postseason and Urban goes on to have success elsewhere... Harbaugh deserves every bit of the hot seat coming his way. He wants to go ‘business as usual’ and go to bat for his OC, well join him with the wolves.

And let me be clear before someone gets bent, if this offense has ANOTHER performance like they’ve had the last 2 seasons in the playoffs then he should be on the hot seat in 2022. Back in 2012 the move to fire Cam Cameron mid-season was indeed brave, but it was a move well past it’s expiration date. Couple that with his TO choices of late and his loyalty, while commendable, also shares its name with complacency in this case.

Greg Roman joins Cam Cameron and Greg Mattison as the two other coaches I felt were holding this team back. Hopefully Roman is fired sooner rather than later... because make no mistake, I actually LIKE John Harbaugh.

I'm actually in agreement with everything here. If the offense continues to struggle in the same areas and fall flat in big games. Harbaugh needs to be sent packing with Roman. 

That's harsh because I absolutely love Harbaugh. I'm just sick of him being loyal to a fault. We don't know what is said behind closed doors so who knows if Harbaugh has made Roman aware of his shortcomings. 

The other side of argument is that this offense has been prolific these last couple years. Our main argument is the pass offense. It's a complex situation, I'm well aware. If Roman can't get this fixed following next year. It's time to start fresh. That could include a new regime as well. 

• Like 1

I like it. Houston's defense was horrible this past season but that was also about as chaotic a situation as you could have asked for internally and there wasn't much talent to work with either. Seems like he was pretty highly regarded beforehand and it's always a plus to bring in a guy with ties to the organization.