Other Teams Hiring Our Staff (for GM or HC) - News and Discussion

diamondbull424

16 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

Meh. I only want him leaving to be their HC. Remember teams that have a minority coach on their roster for at least two seasons and then goes onto another team as their HC gets two 3rd round compensatory selections, there’s no telling how long this rule will be in effect for, so especially with us missing out on a 3rd round pick because of the Ngakoue deal, getting a comp this year and a comp next year would really be a boon to our draft class/es.

If he leaves just to leave, we lose a valuable asset. Plus I doubt we’d go with an outside hire this late in the process to be given that level of responsibility, more likely, we’d promote James Urban from QB coach to pass game coordinator, while promoting Wink up to Assistant Head Coach.. to help give his resume a boost to move him into the HC ranks.

I'll be pleasantly surprised if he gets a HC job directly from his current setup but I really doubt it. He's a 65 year old coach who has never even held a coordinator position in the league - which is why I think it's more likely he's being interviewed as a possible OC for them - it's still a leap that makes sense for him. For him to get a HC job and for us to get the comp picks for it, it would probably have to involve him being elevated to being our OC first which is obviously not going to happen this offseason, and he's not who I want to see take the reins at any point as OC here - he wouldn't even be my first choice if Roman gets fired midseason next year.

Which is to say - the odds that he ever nets us a comp pick are slim to none, and would have to involve him getting promoted internally in ways that I don't want to see. So i'd rather just see him leave now so that we can get some sort of shakeup in the passing game, however small it is. Who knows what James Urban is like from a schematic POV, but I'd be good with him getting an elevated role as passing game coordinator given he's the person on staff who works most closely with Lamar and likely best understands his strengths and weaknesses. Not to mention Culley leaving would also lead to a new WR coach, which could be a good thing as well unless Harbaugh is just planning to put Engram back in that role. 

Edited by SalvadorsDeli

5 hours ago, SalvadorsDeli said:

I'll be pleasantly surprised if he gets a HC job directly from his current setup but I really doubt it. He's a 65 year old coach who has never even held a coordinator position in the league - which is why I think it's more likely he's being interviewed as a possible OC for them - it's still a leap that makes sense for him. For him to get a HC job and for us to get the comp picks for it, it would probably have to involve him being elevated to being our OC first which is obviously not going to happen this offseason, and he's not who I want to see take the reins at any point as OC here - he wouldn't even be my first choice if Roman gets fired midseason next year.

Which is to say - the odds that he ever nets us a comp pick are slim to none, and would have to involve him getting promoted internally in ways that I don't want to see. So i'd rather just see him leave now so that we can get some sort of shakeup in the passing game, however small it is. Who knows what James Urban is like from a schematic POV, but I'd be good with him getting an elevated role as passing game coordinator given he's the person on staff who works most closely with Lamar and likely best understands his strengths and weaknesses. Not to mention Culley leaving would also lead to a new WR coach, which could be a good thing as well unless Harbaugh is just planning to put Engram back in that role. 

True. But Houston has been doing a lot of “off the wall stuff” within that organization. They seem to be placing a greater emphasis on “philosophical beliefs” and quality character with their hires than with just resume/ability.

It’s quite possible they’ve already decided on Eric Bienemy and have a discreet deal already complete with him behind the scenes and/or possible they’ve mended the fences with Deshaun Watson... but who knows. The last report I read said Watson wants out regardless of who they hire as their next HC. So based on reports with regard to the Watson/Watt situations, the Texans cap situation, and their draft situation... that job doesn’t particularly seem attractive. If the reports are to be believed then a strong candidate like Bienemy (as did Daboll) could decide to wait for a better destination to open up where ownership and management aren’t so dysfunctional.

Which would then limit the Texans job to candidates who really have little other career opportunities in the way of getting a HC job outside of such a seemingly unique (read: terrible) situation. So while it’s quite possible Bienemy takes the Texans job and Watson gets over his grudge, I personally think they’re too far gone and that David Culley and Leslie Frazier are legitimate candidates within their HC search. Thus I think it would come down to which coach they feel could assemble the best coaching staff that fits their team’s “philosophical” understandings.

Culley is the likelier hire IMO considering the Texans have historically preferred offensive coaches over defensive coaches. What’s more Culley established a relationship with Deshaun Watson at last year’s Pro Bowl, a very good rapport, and thus could be the Texans best hope in mending fences with Watson, regardless of how much of a long shot that could be. What’s more, Culley also coached in Buffalo, so you’d likely think that he’s going to be able to pull coaching talent from Buffalo that Frazier would pull. He’s going to potentially pull some coaches from the Andy Reid tree as well like a Marty Mornhenwig as his likely OC. The Ravens have already seen defensive staff turnover and Culley could potentially convince a few more on the staff (if there are any) to part ways and join the Texans staff. The Texans could also add Josh McCown to Culley’s staff and look to him as the likely successor in the event that the gamble on Culley doesn’t pay dividends in talking Watson back into the fold.

I honestly would put Culley’s chances at getting the job at a strong 33% considering the circumstance.

1 hour ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I highly doubt they would be doing 2nd interviews if they had Bieneimy already agreed to go there.

However, I am also on record saying there is no other explanation for why Bieniemy isn't hired yet other than he already has an agreement with Houston, so I mean I have no idea what to believe at this point.

Yeah. It’s definitely difficult to decipher, probably because they themselves have little idea as to what they’re doing. I don’t think they anticipate Watson reacting the way he has to their plans. They were arrogant and thought they could do whatever they wanted without any player backlash. I mean Cal McNair’s dad is the one that said “we won’t let the inmates run the prison.” When he was referring to players to other owners.

Add in the relationship with players within that organization and I think Watson’s power play and the public backlash from former players, I think the organization realized quickly that their cronyism direction they were looking to go in, potentially with another Belichick disciple, could completely crumble the organizations prospects.

No legitimate HC has wanted to go there, they won’t be able to recruit top players because not only have former players come out trashing the organization, but now there’s looking like their franchise QB and former DPOY will be looking to part ways and won’t be a recruiting asset either.

I think the owner is doing his best to try and say all the right things and make appeasing moves to Watson so that they can regain the upper hand in public support and league regard.

Personally I don’t believe McNair to be sincere and is only trying to save face, appear to be in a weaker position, so he can flip Watson whenever it’s most beneficial to the franchise to do so. I think Watson should stick to his guns and let that franchise sink. I’d love to see him with a team like the Carolina Panthers personally. Not that I know what their cap/asset situation looks like.

I'm hoping we make an external hire at WR coach and passing game coordinator. Would be great to get someone from the college ranks or something who can introduce some new ideas to the offense. But I can also see Harbaugh moving Engram back to WR's (ew) and elevating Urban to passing game coordinator (probably okay). Then again he might have to wait and see if he brings anyone with him to Houston - Urban might be in play for the OC job there. 

Putting aside what this means for us for a second... gotta feel good for Culley here. Dude has been grinding for 30 years waiting for a chance. When he joined us I remember the word being that he thought it would better position him to get an OC job eventually. Now he's making the jump to the big chair instead. Dude's been chasing a dream for a while and now he gets to do it. By all accounts he is a great leader and locker room guy. If he makes the right choices on his staff I really do think he could surprise people, especially since he's certainly going to be expected to fail miserably by most people. 

Edited by SalvadorsDeli