Other Teams Hiring Our Staff (for GM or HC) - News and Discussion

diamondbull424

Not going to say I called it (because I still only put it at like a 33% chance). But tbqh it was the most sensical hire they could make. Culley hasn’t yet failed as a HC like Frazier and that’s going to get you superior buy in from players who are already likely on the rocks.

They also have to do everything in their power to salvage the Watson situation. Culley was their best bet outside of Bienemy. But I really think the Texans were against the Bienemy hire from a philosophical perspective.

Culley gives you the Andy Reid tree history, the same as Bienemy, he could potentially still look to build a staff from some of the coaches on the Chiefs staff (if that helps appease Watson), he’s already got an established relationship with Watson, and from an optics perspective, hiring a minority HC should help their franchise out.

For Culley, it’s not the most ideal HC opportunity, however it’s his best opportunity. And if he can get Watson to buy back in then you’ve got one of the better coaching jobs in the NFL.

Edited by diamondbull424

Glad we’ll be getting those comp picks though. I still think Culley was unfairly blamed for the failures within our passing game that should befall only Roman.

I hope he does well in Houston. I really enjoyed his enthusiasm in the pressers he had and I would’ve been pleased to see him given a shot at OC with us.

• Like 1

Yea.. if the Ravens are smart 1. They'll begin vacuuming up talented/rising minority coaches, 2. Give them 'special' titles like Culley held 'Assistant HC/Passing Game Coordi., 3. Hype them up publicly and afford them the 'Raven Rub' to boost stock, then 4. Farm Comp Picks 

Strong & Respected organizations have a total advantage here. Clearly this system will help minority candidates as intended too.

This is awesome.

Is there a limit on 3rd Round comps? Cause the contracts Yanny & Judon get could qualify this go around(I imagine we'll have an offset in there though). So we could be looking at 3 potentially next year. In fact these 'Coach Comps' are more valuable because I doubt there's any wiggle room for them to be lowered to other Rounds. It's a 3rd Round lock with no surprises. 

This has to have EDC in a state of sheer ecstasy..

Hunter X Hunter, tome 07 by Yoshihiro Togashi

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

This has to have EDC in a state of sheer ecstasy..

Yeah DeCosta sort of tipped this as well. I think he expected Culley to get this job because of his statements in the presser. I may or may not have provided apt context but he seemed to allude to the Ravens hoping they would have a few more picks coming their way. And my interpretation was with regard to Culley.

So now we have our full stable of 7 picks in this draft and can more afford to sit pretty in the 1st round if the BPA on the board really presents us with unique ability/talent.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

Also, it's clear something is up with Eric Bienemy at this point right?

He's either terrible in these interviews or it has something to do with some part of all this weirdness- https://www.cincyjungle.com/2019/1/6/18169793/bengals-coach-search-chiefs-eric-bieniemy-vance-joseph-broncos.

I think part of it has been ill timing. Teams want their coaching staffs assembled ASAP. The coaches are all competing to assemble the best staff and so joining a job ASAP is in their best interest to a degree as well.

So I just think that part of the issue with Bienemy is that the Chiefs have had two SB runs and teams aren’t willing to wait that long to hire him. Had the Chiefs been eliminated, I think there’s a fair chance that he would’ve been hired.

Just loom at Brian Daboll, by all accounts he was also a top candidate and he missed out on some of the earlier job opportunities and once he lost out on the Detroit job decided to stay with the Bills. His opportunities were largely dried up by the time the Bills were eliminated. Bienemy has been in an even worse position.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

So now we have our full stable of 7 picks in this draft and can more afford to sit pretty in the 1st round if the BPA on the board really presents us with unique ability/talent.

Think we'll get a comped 5th for Michael Pierce at some point too, bringing the total to 8. Then we're always looking to trade down and acquire more. So we shouldn't be shocked if we have 9 or so new bodies rolling into camp on Rookie contracts. 

Mouth Drooling GIFs | Tenor

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SalvadorsDeli said:

The fact that we're getting 2 3rd rounders for Culley and he's not even poaching Urban or Hewitt for coordinator jobs is just incredible. 

Honestly makes that Yannick trade - worst case scenario - a complete wash if we don’t resign him, which is awesome.

Don’t resign him? No biggie. Essentially traded a 3rd for a 3rd a few spots lower to get 9 games of an extended up-close look at a potential FA pass rush signee.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ray Reed said:

Honestly makes that Yannick trade - worst case scenario - a complete wash if we don’t resign him, which is awesome.

Don’t resign him? No biggie. Essentially traded a 3rd for a 3rd a few spots lower to get 9 games of an extended up-close look at a potential FA pass rush signee.

And if we don't re-sign him, we are likely to still get another 3rd round compensatory selection. So, win-win in whichever way you choose to look at it.

• Like 1

I wouldn't be expecting to re-coup 3rd round comp picks for FAs we lose given the state of cap space around the league.

While its most likely that the 2nd level FAs are the ones that are going to be squeezed the most, but when when the cap is potentially going to be $35m lower than expected, surely even the guys at the top arent going to get the same sorts of contract offers they might have done 2 off-seasons ago

• Like 1