New QB options/opinions moving into 2021

Mid Iowa

Recent Payton quotes:

"I'm watching it again right now – offensively it's sloppy. Screens, the naked (bootlegs), the run game, it looks awful."

"He's still slow on a few decisions, he's to the wrong side of the field a few times relative to making decisions. And I don't like the fact that the ball was out again (on the fumble)."

"The screen pass needs to be out quicker, with a little bit less velocity, a little bit easier. If they're rushing, if there's a blitz he's faced with, back up and just dump it off to the running back. There's some things that he's got to clean up."

"By no stretch of the imagination there was anything really positive about it," Payton explained. "When you look back at the film, there were too many mistakes. We have trouble throwing just a simple screen pass right now."

https://www.neworleanssaints.com/news/new-orleans-saints-coach-sean-payton-blunt-assessment-philadelphia-eagles-loss

https://www.nfl.com/news/saints-coach-sean-payton-on-loss-to-eagles-it-wasn-t-enough-that-s-on-me

I don't anticipate Payton going all in on Hill or Winston. Given some of these comments, Hill if given a chance next year will likely have a very short leash. Still betting on Payton drafting his guy at QB

Edited by tyler735

57 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

Recent Payton quotes:

"I'm watching it again right now – offensively it's sloppy. Screens, the naked (bootlegs), the run game, it looks awful."

"He's still slow on a few decisions, he's to the wrong side of the field a few times relative to making decisions. And I don't like the fact that the ball was out again (on the fumble)."

"The screen pass needs to be out quicker, with a little bit less velocity, a little bit easier. If they're rushing, if there's a blitz he's faced with, back up and just dump it off to the running back. There's some things that he's got to clean up."

"By no stretch of the imagination there was anything really positive about it," Payton explained. "When you look back at the film, there were too many mistakes. We have trouble throwing just a simple screen pass right now."

https://www.neworleanssaints.com/news/new-orleans-saints-coach-sean-payton-blunt-assessment-philadelphia-eagles-loss

https://www.nfl.com/news/saints-coach-sean-payton-on-loss-to-eagles-it-wasn-t-enough-that-s-on-me

I don't anticipate Payton going all in on Hill or Winston. Given some of these comments, Hill if given a chance next year will likely have a very short leash. Still betting on Payton drafting his guy at QB

Your right... That sure isnt a ringing endorsement. 

Simply hard from a organizational perspective to imagine them simply buying into what they currently have without exploring a possibly better, younger, cheaper option via the draft. 

The guy Im holding out hope for is Mickey Loomis... Jeff Ireland may be in. Charge of souting and Payton has tremendous say within the team and its building structure but Loomis is ultimately the guy that has to be the voice of reason and the guy that looks out for the future of the franchise not just the present. Loomis still has the power over Payton to say "we MUST address the QB position". I just wonder if he'd be willing to butt heads with Payton over that when the time comes.

• Like 1

Unless Payton is super impressed by a QB I don't think we'll trade up for one but we'll take one if they fall to us.  Overall I think Payton and Loomis might be more prone to taking a midround QB this year to be a developmental/back-up QB rather than a 1st round QB unless it's someone they feel as strongly about as they did Mahomes and give Hill/Winston(or other signed FA QB) an opportunity to show they are the future.  If no one really takes the reins then I think the following year they'll take a QB as high as they can.

11 hours ago, Raves said:

Unless Payton is super impressed by a QB I don't think we'll trade up for one but we'll take one if they fall to us.  Overall I think Payton and Loomis might be more prone to taking a midround QB this year to be a developmental/back-up QB rather than a 1st round QB unless it's someone they feel as strongly about as they did Mahomes and give Hill/Winston(or other signed FA QB) an opportunity to show they are the future.  If no one really takes the reins then I think the following year they'll take a QB as high as they can.

In the Payton/Loomis era, they've trade UP in every draft (except 2012) to grab a player. Nearly every draft. So, I am just expecting they'll make a move, and it really does need to be for a QB.

I'm not sold on Hill yet, and I don't think any franchise should overlook a talented QB, regardless of who's at the helm currently. If Payton/Loomis aren't looking very strongly at every option for QB, then we're the next Dolphins/Browns of the NFL. I don't think that's the case, and I think these guys are smarter than just sitting back and letting things slide by.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Mid Iowa said:

In the Payton/Loomis era, they've trade UP in every draft (except 2012) to grab a player. Nearly every draft. So, I am just expecting they'll make a move, and it really does need to be for a QB.

I'm not sold on Hill yet, and I don't think any franchise should overlook a talented QB, regardless of who's at the helm currently. If Payton/Loomis aren't looking very strongly at every option for QB, then we're the next Dolphins/Browns of the NFL. I don't think that's the case, and I think these guys are smarter than just sitting back and letting things slide by.

But how often have they traded up in the 1st?  Twice?  Maybe Thrice?

6 hours ago, Mid Iowa said:

Payton took over the Saints in 2006... That season they were in the NFC championship game. Even in 7-9 seasons that followed this front office and coaching staff always felt they were in a championship window because they had Drew Brees so they were aggressive in both FA annd the draft hoping to land that 1 player to puts us over the top.

2021 is going to be different...

Brees will be gone, while they like Hill I can almost assure you they dont view next season as a championship window nor him a championship QB, especially with the cap situation the team is in amd contracts that will need to be shed this offseason.

The entire overall structure of the team cap will need to be reshuffled. Brees will retire and the Saints can designate him a post june 1 retiree which can save them 24 million and allow them to split his hit between 2021 and 2022. Cam Jordan and Mike Thomas will almost assuredly have their deals restructred giving them each more money overall but saving the team cap space in 2021, and so on and so on...

In a perfect world I think Payton would love to get Winston resigned on the cheap with the idea of competing with Hill for the #1 spot and even if that happens 2021 is still a trail run for both of them and if neither shows the traits needed to be a top caliber efficient NFL QB then Payton will find one in 2022 with a whole set of draft picks and alot more money to spend.

We'll be treading water in 2021... Bout time Saints fans realize that. Its the cost of being competitive for a decade.

13 hours ago, Mid Iowa said:

100% agree. Our Front Office is far too smart to hedge all their bets on Taysom Hill and have shown a willingness to be aggressive in the draft to get their guy. I expect this year to be no different with QB finally being something that needs to be addressed after about 15 years.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, whodatworm23 said:

Payton took over the Saints in 2006... That season they were in the NFC championship game. Even in 7-9 seasons that followed this front office and coaching staff always felt they were in a championship window because they had Drew Brees so they were aggressive in both FA annd the draft hoping to land that 1 player to puts us over the top.

2021 is going to be different...

Brees will be gone, while they like Hill I can almost assure you they dont view next season as a championship window nor him a championship QB, especially with the cap situation the team is in amd contracts that will need to be shed this offseason.

The entire overall structure of the team cap will need to be reshuffled. Brees will retire and the Saints can designate him a post june 1 retiree which can save them 24 million and allow them to split his hit between 2021 and 2022. Cam Jordan and Mike Thomas will almost assuredly have their deals restructred giving them each more money overall but saving the team cap space in 2021, and so on and so on...

In a perfect world I think Payton would love to get Winston resigned on the cheap with the idea of competing with Hill for the #1 spot and even if that happens 2021 is still a trail run for both of them and if neither shows the traits needed to be a top caliber efficient NFL QB then Payton will find one in 2022 with a whole set of draft picks and alot more money to spend.

We'll be treading water in 2021... Bout time Saints fans realize that. Its the cost of being competitive for a decade.

Sounds like a great year to give a rookie a chance to learn the ropes before being competitive again after 2021. Next year our OL will still be solid, and we will have Kamara and Thomas, so said rookie QB wouldn't be thrown to the wolves with this talent around them and expectations wouldn't have to be sky high in the scenario you pointed out 

24 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

Sounds like a great year to give a rookie a chance to learn the ropes before being competitive again after 2021. Next year our OL will still be solid, and we will have Kamara and Thomas, so said rookie QB wouldn't be thrown to the wolves with this talent around them and expectations wouldn't have to be sky high in the scenario you pointed out 

I agree... This would be the year. The issue is Hill. The question is still unanswered on him and what his future is. He had 4 games and while he went 3-1 he didn't really answer the question either way, actually I feel hes become more of a mystery to be honest but if the Saints were to make a move for a QB in round 1 this year you basically seal Hills fate and im not sure Payton is ready to do that just yet. 

Or they can continue to build this roster (some good players will be let go for cap reasons) give Hill his shot in 2021 and if it dont work, go all in on a rookie in 2022. I feel this is the more realistic option.

10 hours ago, whodatworm23 said:

if the Saints were to make a move for a QB in round 1 this year you basically seal Hills fate and im not sure Payton is ready to do that just yet. 

I'm not certain this is today's NFL. Hill will have the opportunity to compete, just like any QB. If we get a 1st round flop, that player will sit.

I think of Washington going with Alex Smith over Haskins, Fitzpatrick coming in when Tua starts breaking down, etc... And the rookies who get thrown right to the wolfs, well, they struggle, at least in their 1st season. Of course, the best overcome it in season 2 or 3, but it's usually tough sledding. Even Mahomes sat his 1st season.

6 hours ago, Mid Iowa said:

And hey, if we take a QB in the 1st and he's sits behind Hill, perhaps we have trade bait with Hill moving forward. 

Either way, Hill was quite the acquisition off of Green Bay's practice squad! Another tip of the hat to Ireland & Co.

Nagh... Thats all Payton. They were scouting Christian McCafferys lil brother at WR and Hill kept standing out to Payton which led the Saints to look into him further. Gotta give Payton the credit on finding Hill. That connection is deep... Payton truly believes in Hill, I dont think its an act.

So AS reported today what we all knew, that Brees will likley retire after the season and begin his post playing career with NBC. 

Good luck to him and thanks for everything, see ya in Canton!!! Finish Strong.

Beyond that... My hope is Taysom Hill starting in 2021 with a 1st round QB lurking over his shoulder.

18 hours ago, whodatworm23 said:

So AS reported today what we all knew, that Brees will likley retire after the season and begin his post playing career with NBC. 

Good luck to him and thanks for everything, see ya in Canton!!! Finish Strong.

Beyond that... My hope is Taysom Hill starting in 2021 with a 1st round QB lurking over his shoulder.

I know it's unlikely, but if we can somehow trade up and get a QB I would be ecstatic. All Payton needs is talent at the position and I think he can build a successful QB.

I was hopeful before Taysom started games for us, but after seeing him for a few games he just doesn't do the basic QB things well enough. He doesn't throw with touch nor anticipation very well and he doesn't process the game quick enough.