New QB options/opinions moving into 2021

Mid Iowa

Another option at QB... if the Jets take Fields or Wilson at #2 and look to move Sam Darnold would you give up the 28th pick for him?

I'm still high on Darnold and his talent. Never really felt like he had a chance with the disfunction in New York with Gase and Williams. He's only 23 years old, he's mobile and has great arm talent. Sean Payton is on record saying he felt Darnold was the best QB in his class that included Baker Mayfield, Josh Allen and Lamar Jackson.. 

Actually when I look at the traits, talent and age of Darnold compared to prospects like Mac Jones, Trey Lance and Justin Fields I think I'd still take Darnold over them if he was in this draft. I'd love to see a talent like Darnold under Sean Payton way more exciting than Winston IMO.

Darnold is a guy that in his final college season threw 13 interceptions, and had concerns with turnovers even before he came into the NFL. Since then, he has in each of his 3 NFL seasons thrown an alarming amount of interceptions with him throwing more interceptions than touchdowns this past season. He has essentially regressed in his 3rd season from an already low bar set in his first 2 years. He's posted QB Ratings of 77, 84, and 72 in his 3 seasons as a NFL QB, which is absolutely atrocious.

Darnold's most talented WR in Robby Anderson his first 2 seasons went on to have his best season this year with Bridgewater throwing him the ball this past season (which isn't a glowing review if Panthers fans are anything to go by in regards to Bridgewater's performance this season). It's concerning to see a guy like Anderson take a step forward as soon as he gets away from Darnold playing with a guy like Bridgewater. As it stands, Darnold has 50 total touchdowns through 3 seasons along with 39 interceptions, and 20 fumbles. His completion percentages are 57%, 61%, and 59%, not hitting 60% in today's NFL is hard to do as a starting QB and is undoubtedly one of the worst in the league.

I get that he "played for the Jets", but giving anything for him at this point (especially a high draft pick) would be a mistake. We already have Winston if we want to try and salvage a "young talented QB" that's had struggles in the league. At least Winston has shown something in his career in comparison to Darnold. A decent QB would find a way to do more than what Darnold has with the Jets. I just don't see it with him. Even a 38 year old Josh McCown was significantly better with the Jets in 2017 the year before Darnold took over.

Edited by tyler735

On 2/1/2021 at 3:17 AM, whodatworm23 said:

Well we will know soon enough... Payton's saying all the right things about Hill and Winston but one of these days he'll have his poker face on and take a QB in the draft. Is it this year? Is all the talk about Hill and Winston just a smoke screen so that teams aren't wise to the Saints wanting a QB?

I'll admit it... if I was Mickey Loomis (not Sean Payton) I would be trying to get into position for a QB I like this draft, not resigning Winston. Even if Winston  returns and has a solid season, he'll want a significant pay raise next off-season. The Saints could fix a ton of their cap issues now and in the future with a 1st round QB. Draft the QB, allow Winston to leave and start Hill in 2021 until you feel the young buck is ready. Hill has proven he can win games so he's a solid stepping stone to the next guy.

Sadly I doubt this is how the Saints are thinking.

Good point Worm, what would it cost to "fix" things in your scenario though? Is their such a QB in mid-rounds to fit the mold the Saints hold dear? 

I still say talk to Drew Brees about becoming a QBs coach, roll with Winston... I believe you're allowing Winston's bad tape under a "less than mediocre" coaching staff dictate how you view this kid. I say give Winston the chance because if you put Hill starting under center that's what he'll demand even though his upside is much higher as a gadget player.

5 hours ago, jcvoodoo said:

Good point Worm, what would it cost to "fix" things in your scenario though? Is their such a QB in mid-rounds to fit the mold the Saints hold dear? 

I still say talk to Drew Brees about becoming a QBs coach, roll with Winston... I believe you're allowing Winston's bad tape under a "less than mediocre" coaching staff dictate how you view this kid. I say give Winston the chance because if you put Hill starting under center that's what he'll demand even though his upside is much higher as a gadget player.

I know Winston can do well and I'm fully prepared to roll with him in 2021. I hope the kid proves me wrong, he's our best option right now. Its not that I dislike Winston, I'm just not sold on him being more than a solid guy who's more of a bridge quarterback to the next guy. Maybe I'm wrong, hopefully I am and Winston blows the doors off in 2021 but I've got to see it first. I know he can make mig time plays but I need to see better decision making from him to before I'm willing to call him a franchise quarterback. Since I'm not totally convinced I still keep the Saints in the quarterback market. I don't see the Saints making a move that proves to be to costly this year unless a prospect like Trey Lance falls to a comfortable trading point for the Saints or if Mac Jones falls into their lap at 28. I can also see Kyle Trask an option if he's available at 60 or Kellen Mond in the 3rd round at one of our comp picks as developmental prospects. In any scenario, I feel Winston is our day 1 starter in 2021 and we'll see how it goes from there.

• 2 weeks later...

Well the potential Mac Jones sweepstakes just got a bit easier today with the Colts trading some fairly high picks for Carson Wentz. That is another team picking in front of us now that aren't likely to go QB in round 1. 

Lions recently acquired Goff in a trade, I think they give him a season to see what he can do.

Today there were also reports that the Broncos are likely going to stick with Drew Lock another year unless they can acquire Deshaun Watson in a trade.

As for teams in front of us that might go QB:

Jaguars- Lawrence is pretty much a lock.

Jets- Very likely Wilson, but there's a chance they give Darnold another year.

Falcons- Hard to say, they could draft Ryan's future replacement.

Panthers- Likely are going to draft a QB

(This is where I think a trade up starts to become a possibility in the pick 10-14 range.)

49ers- May be in the hunt for a QB

Patriots- Likely looking for a QB

Washington- Likely looking for a QB

Bears- Likely looking for a QB

For me the biggest wildcard is the Panthers. There are some recent reports that they are interested in Mac Jones, but if he gets by them, I could certainly see us trading up ahead of teams like the 49ers, Patriots, Washington, and the Bears. If not, I be pretty surprised Mac Jones makes it to us at pick #28. 

Here's a good breakdown of Mac Jones if anyone is curious about a deeper dive on the intricacies of his play

• Like 1

On 2/18/2021 at 2:24 PM, whodatworm23 said:

I think alot of people are going to be shocked at how high Mac Jones goes and who he goes ahead of. Personally I think he goes off the board at 8th to Carolina unless someone jumps to 7th ahead of them and I could see Washington, New England and San Francisco all tempted to do it.

There's a lot of talk about the Panthers taking a QB. Do you think they'll deal Bridgewater, and if so, what's the Saints play for bringing him back. I seemed as though there was a mutual respect between Bridge and the Saints, and we all knew we couldn't keep him due to him being signed to a starters salary.

I've never been big on Teddy, but last year's stats with the Panthers was the best of his career, and he was without his #1 weapon - McCaffery - and their entire team was riddled with injury and without their long time coach, Rivera.

Could be some upside with Teddy if Winston and Jones are a miss.

• Like 1