New QB options/opinions moving into 2021

Mid Iowa

13 hours ago, Dome said:

What do you guys know about that big QB from Florida? Trask I think? 

ive seen some mocks with us taking him in round 2... highlight reels aren’t the full story and make it easy to fall in love, but he throws a pretty ball 

Big kid, tough... average arm and his accuracy is overrated. Reminds me alot of Mason Rudolph coming out of Oklahoma State. Big college numbers, borderline fringe starter or quality backup in the NFL. Likely to go round 2 due to the position he plays, more of a 3rd - 4th round prospect for me.

13 hours ago, Mid Iowa said:

There's a lot of talk about the Panthers taking a QB. Do you think they'll deal Bridgewater, and if so, what's the Saints play for bringing him back. I seemed as though there was a mutual respect between Bridge and the Saints, and we all knew we couldn't keep him due to him being signed to a starters salary.

I've never been big on Teddy, but last year's stats with the Panthers was the best of his career, and he was without his #1 weapon - McCaffery - and their entire team was riddled with injury and without their long time coach, Rivera.

Could be some upside with Teddy if Winston and Jones are a miss.

I think the Saints will focus on bringing Winston back due to his upside, if Winston signs elsewhere I feel the Saints will get aggressive to sign a veteran quarterback to compete with Hill for the job. In any case (Winston, Hill or a free agent) I do not think any of them is honestly viewed as the quarterback of the future, only the quarterback of right now. I don't know when the Saints will actively and aggressivly pursue their quarterback of the future, could be this year or next but at some point they will. Payton has said the next guy is in the building but the next guy isn't necessarily "THE GUY" if you get where I'm going with that. 

If Bridgewater was to be released (I don't think he will) hes clearly a candidate for the Saints to bring in as a bridge quarterback if Winston were to sign elsewhere. 

• Like 1

It looks like the Panthers and Bridgewater may be going there separate ways. 

If the Panthers cut Bridgewater, I wouldn't mind us taking a look at him if he's still on the market after the draft. It will be interesting to see if Bridgewater is cut or traded. Either way, it seems like the Panthers will either be trading for a guy like Watson, or drafting a QB early with their 1st round pick. If we can't land our guy in the draft at QB, I think Winston or Bridgewater would be intriguing bridge QB's with some potential upside. 

If Teddy can game manage limiting  turnovers, and just get the ball to guys like Kamara and Thomas consistently like he did when he took over for Brees, I think he could have some success here. Assuming we retain most of our key defensive pieces. It likely won't be pretty football in terms of guady fantasy numbers, but could be fairly effective.

1 hour ago, sammymvpknight said:

So...how many 1st rounders would you be willing to give up for Russell Wilson. A gazillion?

Probably this years 1st, next years 1st, and a conditional pick, but not much if any more than that. He's going to be 33 years old this year, and has a huge cap hit. There's no telling how long he remains the Russell Wilson we are used to seeing. He may start to decline in the next few years. Or maybe he just calls it a career in that time span. If I'm giving up a ton of high picks, I'd rather just go for Watson as he is way younger even if it takes more draft capital. I don't see how we could afford either though in the grand scheme of things with our cap situation. Maybe Watson due to a friendly cap number this year, but it drastically jumps next year and we'd have to get a little creative. 

16 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

Probably this years 1st, next years 1st, and a conditional pick, but not much if any more than that. He's going to be 33 years old this year, and has a huge cap hit. There's no telling how long he remains the Russell Wilson we are used to seeing. He may start to decline in the next few years. Or maybe he just calls it a career in that time span. If I'm giving up a ton of high picks, I'd rather just go for Watson as he is way younger even if it takes more draft capital. I don't see how we could afford either though in the grand scheme of things with our cap situation. Maybe Watson due to a friendly cap number this year, but it drastically jumps next year and we'd have to get a little creative. 

I’m more confident in Wilson’s ability to stay healthy over the next 5 years than Watson.

10 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

I’m more confident in Wilson’s ability to stay healthy over the next 5 years than Watson.

I guess I'm more confident in Watson still playing in 5 years than I am Wilson. Given out OL, I'm not too worried about Watson taking a ton of hits here.

53 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

I guess I'm more confident in Watson still playing in 5 years than I am Wilson. Given out OL, I'm not too worried about Watson taking a ton of hits here.

Watson invites hits by the way he plays, and his frame/injury history is much more concerning than Wilson. There is very little reason for me to think that Wilson won't be an elite QB until at least age 37-38. Unless we are going to resign a guy to a crazy Mahomes like 10 year contract...who cares how someone is doing after 5-6 years anyway...they may not even be on the team at that point.

25 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

Watson invites hits by the way he plays, and his frame/injury history is much more concerning than Wilson. There is very little reason for me to think that Wilson won't be an elite QB until at least age 37-38.

Can't say I agree. Just because guys like Brady and Brees have maintained that level of play doesn't mean it's the norm. There are plenty of examples of "great" QB's showing their age in their mid 30's and not being nearly as effective as they once were. Wilson is also a guy that has made a ton of off script plays with his legs over his career. There's no telling what happens once he loses more of that athleticism with age. Maybe he adapts...Maybe he doesn't. He may go from being a top 5 QB to closer to a top 10/top 15 QB.

25 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

Unless we are going to resign a guy to a crazy Mahomes like 10 year contract...who cares how someone is doing after 5-6 years anyway...they may not even be on the team at that point.

I care because we got rid of likely 3 very high draft picks to make this happen. If they aren't as effective of a player after a few years or maybe even retired after 5 years, I have significant concerns about crippling the franchise with several lost 1st round picks. I'm much more confident that Watson could be "the guy" for 10 years or so. I just think giving that much up for Wilson has a much bigger risk of blowing up in our face long term. Sure I think short term we could be a quality team with Wilson...Depending how much of our team we have to blow up in order to pay him plus the lost resources in the draft the next few years.

That said, my choice would be neither this offseason after factoring in the likely absurd draft capital if would take to get them, and expensive cap hits with our salary cap situation. For now, I'm hoping to go the Mac Jones route in the draft, or give Winston (or Bridgewater depending on what the Panther do) a crack at the starting QB spot. 

1 hour ago, tyler735 said:

Can't say I agree. Just because guys like Brady and Brees have maintained that level of play doesn't mean it's the norm. There are plenty of examples of "great" QB's showing their age in their mid 30's and not being nearly as effective as they once were. Wilson is also a guy that has made a ton of off script plays with his legs over his career. There's no telling what happens once he loses more of that athleticism with age. Maybe he adapts...Maybe he doesn't. He may go from being a top 5 QB to closer to a top 10/top 15 QB.

I care because we got rid of likely 3 very high draft picks to make this happen. If they aren't as effective of a player after a few years or maybe even retired after 5 years, I have significant concerns about crippling the franchise with several lost 1st round picks. I'm much more confident that Watson could be "the guy" for 10 years or so. I just think giving that much up for Wilson has a much bigger risk of blowing up in our face long term. Sure I think short term we could be a quality team with Wilson...Depending how much of our team we have to blow up in order to pay him plus the lost resources in the draft the next few years.

That said, my choice would be neither this offseason after factoring in the likely absurd draft capital if would take to get them, and expensive cap hits with our salary cap situation. For now, I'm hoping to go the Mac Jones route in the draft, or give Winston (or Bridgewater depending on what the Panther do) a crack at the starting QB spot. 

My point is that the next contract will likely be a 5-6 year contract...and there is no guarantee that you get them longer, especially considering the amount of player movement now days. So the idea of planning to have a QB longer than that is faulty logic in my opinion. And if I'm just trying to get the guy who will help the Saints win over the next 5 years, I'm going Wilson...better and less of a chance of injury.

Winston is the only viable option for us at QB, if we want a starting caliber QB whose commonly used name starts with “W”

we aren’t really in the mix for Wilson or Watson IMO, and we’ll be lucky to be in the mix for Winston tbh. 

I think Taysom is our QB next year unless we find someone foolish enough to take him off our hands

10 hours ago, Dome said:

Winston is the only viable option for us at QB, if we want a starting caliber QB whose commonly used name starts with “W”

we aren’t really in the mix for Wilson or Watson IMO, and we’ll be lucky to be in the mix for Winston tbh. 

I think Taysom is our QB next year unless we find someone foolish enough to take him off our hands

I have a bad feeling you're right, considering our cap situation. We're due to dole out a boatload if we're going to keep even 1/2 of the marquee guys we'd like to keep. So I guess we'll have to see what Loomis can accomplish.

The positive side of the QB thing is, Winston didn't do anything last season to show the NFL world that he is any different than the guy who signed a minimum contract the year prior. So the notion that he gets a huge contract somewhere is likely off the table. Someone WILL offer him a "nice" contract, but I doubt we see anything even close to a block buster.

Taysom proved, once again, that his body is not "starting QB" material. His injury history reared it's ugly head again at the end of this last season, and there's no reason to believe that won't continue. 4 out of 5 years at BYU ended in injury...