New QB options/opinions moving into 2021

Mid Iowa

2 hours ago, tyler735 said:

I'm all for trading a 1st or a 2nd to move up and get "our" guy. Crazy to think had we done so in 2017 (move up 1 spot), we would likely have Pat Mahomes right now. If our front office thinks 1 of these QB's is a great fit for our system, I hope they do what needs to be done to get them. I've learned to trust their judgement in recent years, they seem to hit on so many of their picks lately.

2017:

Payton openly admits later that Mahomes was the most gifted player at the position hes ever worked out and scouted... Still choose to sit pat and not move up and assure the pick.

People also tend to forget that after the Saints selected Lattimore at 11... DeShawn Watson went with the very next pick.

2018: 

Saints trade 2 1st round picks to move up from 27 to 14 to draft Davenport. 5 picks after our original pick at 27 Lamar Jackson was drafted at 32.

2019:

No 1st rounder due to Davenport trade in 2018 draft.

2020:

Saints draft Cesar Ruiz at 24 after Vikings destroy Saints interior oline in 2019 playoffs. 2 picks later at 26 Packers draft Jordan Love so we will need to keep an eye on his development.

Point is, All these QB prospects were bypassed for 1 reason and 1 reason only... Drew Brees! The players who were then drafted instead were drafted for 1 reason only... Drew Brees!

These past few seasons this organization ignored future and longterm stability at the quarterback position in order to fulfill this self imposed debt to Drew Brees and to try and win another Superbowl before he retires. They mortgaged draft picks, future core players and the health of the salary cap in order to do it.

Get the Taysom Hill infatuation now???

If Hill hits then all this dont matter... If Hill busts then hes the scapegoat.

56 minutes ago, whodatworm23 said:

2017:

Payton openly admits later that Mahomes was the most gifted player at the position hes ever worked out and scouted... Still choose to sit pat and not move up and assure the pick.

People also tend to forget that after the Saints selected Lattimore at 11... DeShawn Watson went with the very next pick.

This gives me more faith in the Front Office being able to identify their guy when the time comes. They knew they wanted Mahomes, before he burst onto the scene and became the leagues best QB. During the draft nobody thought he would blow up like this hence why he went 11th and wasn't the 1st QB taken. Obviously Watson would be a great consolation prize as well and in hindsight I'd be happy with him as our next QB. If our front office has Mahomes "style" of prospect as the QB they are trying to find then Zach Wilson is probably the closest QB in terms of playstyle since Mahomes was drafted. I know I'm really infatuated with him as our guy, but the shoe seems to fit for us, if doesn't get picked #2 overall by the Jets it's very much in play. Still keeping him as potential option in the 1st round. 

2018: 

Saints trade 2 1st round picks to move up from 27 to 14 to draft Davenport. 5 picks after our original pick at 27 Lamar Jackson was drafted at 32.

Yeah I was getting ready to celebrate the Lamar Jackson pick when I saw we had traded up that year as reports were out there that we were interested before the draft. Was so let down as Lamar is one of my all time favorite draft prospects/players.

2020:

Saints draft Cesar Ruiz at 24 after Vikings destroy Saints interior oline in 2019 playoffs. 2 picks later at 26 Packers draft Jordan Love so we will need to keep an eye on his development.

Not a Love fan, for me this was a much better option.

Point is, All these QB prospects were bypassed for 1 reason and 1 reason only... Drew Brees! The players who were then drafted instead were drafted for 1 reason only... Drew Brees!

These past few seasons this organization ignored future and longterm stability at the quarterback position in order to fulfill this self imposed debt to Drew Brees and to try and win another Superbowl before he retires. They mortgaged draft picks, future core players and the health of the salary cap in order to do it.

Had KC not traded up I'm almost certain we have Mahomes though. They have had Super Bowl aspirations in mind and only wanted QB they thought was worth the price of sacrificing ammo for the Super Bowl hopes we still have with this roster. I can live with that. 

Get the Taysom Hill infatuation now???

If Hill hits then all this dont matter... If Hill busts then hes the scapegoat.

I still am in the boat that I doubt Hill is our guy next year, but all we can do is speculate until then so I won't go too much in this one.

Had Chiefs not traded up we would have Mahomes but only because if Bills stay at 10 they likley take Lattimore. Payton did admit they had Lattimore in their top 3 way ahead of Mahomes on the board.

Funny thing about the Bills... They trade out of 10 all the way down to 27 and still get a better corner than the Saints in Tre White! They pass on Mahomes but land Josh Allen later... Bills GM Bean is a stud!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, whodatworm23 said:

Had Chiefs not traded up we would have Mahomes but only because if Bills stay at 10 they likley take Lattimore. Payton did admit they had Lattimore in their top 3 way ahead of Mahomes on the board.

Yeah I was shocked Lattimore fell out of the top 5 let alone top 10, was thrilled with the pick at the time.

1 hour ago, whodatworm23 said:

Funny thing about the Bills... They trade out of 10 all the way down to 27 and still get a better corner than the Saints in Tre White! They pass on Mahomes but land Josh Allen later... Bills GM Bean is a stud!!!

That is definitely solid, but I can't say it compares to what we've done. Our 2017 class is easily one of the best (if not best) in the last decade. Mahomes would have put it in contention for best ever.

2017 class was good... Not as good as originally thought IMO. Lattimore (while really good) has been inconsistent and didnt even turn out to be the best corner of that draft. Ramczyk was the prize and while hes a great right tackle his value increases if he was on the left side but until then hes still a right tackle. Marcus Williams is a rangy safety with ball skills but his tackling has to improve. Kamara is the star of the class of course. Hendrickson has come on and Anzlone is solid depth.

However... Landing a franchise QB iun a draft super exceeds most of what this 2017 class is so calling it one of the best drafts is a big stretch. Maybe the best draft. In Saints history but even then thats disrespectful as that 2006 class was the foundation of the 2009 world champions. 

2017 was a dam good draft class... Lets hope we can keep those guys around beyond their 1st contracts but innm perspective it might not have been as good as we all were saying a few years ago.

17 minutes ago, whodatworm23 said:

2017 class was good... Not as good as originally thought IMO. Lattimore (while really good) has been inconsistent and didnt even turn out to be the best corner of that draft. Ramczyk was the prize and while hes a great right tackle his value increases if he was on the left side but until then hes still a right tackle. Marcus Williams is a rangy safety with ball skills but his tackling has to improve. Kamara is the star of the class of course. Hendrickson has come on and Anzlone is solid depth.

Disagree, I think it's even better than initially thought with Hendrickson having an excellent season. 

We legitimately could have all 5 pro bowl/all pro caliber players from that draft plus 2 guys that have still been successful in the NFL (al-quadin muhammad technically is with the Colts as a situational pass rusher, but I give us credit for finding a guy that can make an impact in the NFL in the 7th round).

Marshon Lattimore- Defensive Rookie of the year, been voted to 3 straight pro bowls, rated as #76 player in NFL top 100 vote

Ryan Ramczyk- 1st team All Pro, rated as #82 player in NFL top 100 vote

Marcus Williams- 2nd team All Pro

Alvin Kamara- Offensive Rookie of the year, 4 pro bowls, 2 time All Pro (likely another this year), rated #14 player in NFL top 100 vote (will likely be higher after this season). Legit chance at Offensive Player of the year if he has a big week to close out the season

Trey Hendrickson- No accolades yet, but that appears to be changing with him being top 2 in the NFL in both sacks and pressures this season

Alex Anzalone- starting caliber LB with some athletic upside if he can stay healthy the next couple years

Al-quadin Muhammad- Rotational pass rusher with the Colts

That's 6 guys that regularly see the field and 5 that have changed our franchise for the better. We went 7-9 three years in a row prior to the 2017 draft class. Since then we have gone 11-5, 13-3, 13-3, and 12-4 (or 11-5 if we lose this week). Not only that, but we have gone like 8-1 the past 2 seasons without Brees in the lineup, which this 2017 draft group can claim a large responsibility in making that happen. It was truly a rare franchise altering draft.

However... Landing a franchise QB iun a draft super exceeds most of what this 2017 class is so calling it one of the best drafts is a big stretch. Maybe the best draft. In Saints history but even then thats disrespectful as that 2006 class was the foundation of the 2009 world champions. 

I don't really handicap for QB's when grading a draft. Sure if you get a QB and hit on all your other picks like we did in 2017 then maybe I'd give the edge there, but if not, I'm grading based off success of each pick.

2017 was a dam good draft class... Lets hope we can keep those guys around beyond their 1st contracts but innm perspective it might not have been as good as we all were saying a few years ago.

Yeah unfortunately that is going to be a huge dilemma with our team this off-season. Agreed though really hope we can keep them around. The crazy thing is, even with all the accolades they have gotten so far, they are all really just entering what should be their prime years and likely the best is yet to come for them.

17 hours ago, whodatworm23 said:

2017:

There's one big thing that I think of EVERY TIME I see Mahomes success. Yes, the kid is wicked talented, maybe unlike we've ever seen. AND he rode the pine his 1st season, and after every single offensive series, Andy Reid was sitting next to Mahomes on the QB's bench explaining what was going on. It was a constant tutoring session, all game, every game, for an entire season.

I wonder if Payton will ever relinquish enough control to do the same with any understudy. Reid sacrificed a year of full control and was rewarded with the best QB of the year, and a ring. Somehow I don't think SP would/will ever do the same.

Gonna be a good day to watch some of our potential QB targets play today. Curious to see how Desmond Ridder does against higher level competition playing Georgia. Then got Mac Jones and Justin Fields playing later today in their playoff games. 

59 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

Gonna be a good day to watch some of our potential QB targets play today. Curious to see how Desmond Ridder does against higher level competition playing Georgia. Then got Mac Jones and Justin Fields playing later today in their playoff games. 

Actually all the games today have plenty of players that the Saints should be looking at regardless of position.  

12 minutes ago, Raves said:

Actually all the games today have plenty of players that the Saints should be looking at regardless of position.  

Yeah definitely a lot of prospects today. That said, it's a great day to see some top QB's showcase as we are in a rare franchise position to more than likely take one of these QB's early in the draft this year.

44 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

Yeah definitely a lot of prospects today. That said, it's a great day to see some top QB's showcase as we are in a rare franchise position to more than likely take one of these QB's early in the draft this year.

Does anyone on here truly believe that Payton isnt going to give Hill EVERY opportunity to be the next franchise QB... Including basically going through a unthreatened 2021 season?

I just have a gut feeling this team will not draft a QB this year, they will try and fail to resign Winston and will likley head into 2021 withh Hill as the unquestioned starter and a journeyman veteran backup behind him, someone on the cheap.

10 minutes ago, whodatworm23 said:

Does anyone on here truly believe that Payton isnt going to give Hill EVERY opportunity to be the next franchise QB... Including basically going through a unthreatened 2021 season?

Yes. I truly believe that Hill won't be our guy and will have a short leash if he gets a chance next year. Payton already has voiced displeasure in Hill if memory serves me correctly after the Eagles game. 

I just have a gut feeling this team will not draft a QB this year, they will try and fail to resign Winston and will likley head into 2021 withh Hill as the unquestioned starter and a journeyman veteran backup behind him, someone on the cheap.

I have way more faith in our Front Office to play this right given how well they have done the past 5 years or so.

On a side note Ridder is looking legit today against some of the best competition he has played against. Nice tight window throws, good zip on his passes, good decision making, and impressive improvisation ability to make plays. Think Zach Wilson and Desmond Ridder would be our 2 best options that could realistically happen (Lawrence obviously is a Jaguar).

Edited by tyler735

14 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

Yes. I truly believe that Hill won't be our guy and will have a short leash if he gets a chance next year. Payton already has voiced displeasure in Hill if memory serves me correctly after the Eagles game. 

I have way more faith in our Front Office to play this right given how well they have done the past 5 years or so.

On a side note Ridder is looking legit today against some of the best competition he has played against. Nice tight window throws, good zip on his passes, good decision making, and impressive improvisation ability to make plays. Think Zach Wilson and Desmond Ridder would be our 2 best options that could realistically happen (Lawrence obviously is a Jaguar).

I think Wilson and Fields will both be gone in the top 15 so unless there is a trade up I don't think Wilson is an option.  I think only Lance has a reasonable chance of falling to the Saints of the top 4.  Ridder would be what a 2nd-4th round pick probably? 

10 minutes ago, Raves said:

I think Wilson and Fields will both be gone in the top 15 so unless there is a trade up I don't think Wilson is an option.  I think only Lance has a reasonable chance of falling to the Saints of the top 4. 

Yeah my guess is they would need to trade up for Wilson or Fields, very possible one of them drops outside the top 10, so wouldn't be shocked to see us trade up. If we are willing to do it for Davenport I'm sure they are willing to do it if they feel their guy is available at QB.

Ridder would be what a 2nd-4th round pick probably? 

Guessing late 1st especially after today. That 5th year option is so valuable and he has all the physical tools you want in a franchise QB. 

Edited by tyler735

Only thing negetive i remember Payton saying about Hill after the Philly game was that he did not like that the ball was out again but thought he played well...

Plus he (Payton) continues to say that the next guy is "in the building". If you believe that then your not in the market for a 1st round QB. Now could that be a smokescreen? Sure but I just tend to believe that Payton is so infatuated with Hill that he will make sure he gets every oppertunity to succeed.

I also believe that the Saints organization (while they will never admit this) view the 2021 season as a trail run post Brees salary cap dumpster fire season. Sure they will compete as best they can and might even carve out a 8-9 win season but I think they realiize its time to pay the piper salary cap wise and thier might be a good chance there looking at a top 15 pick in 2022 with much more cap flexibility so no need to make a QB move just yet with Hill making 16 million next year in the last year of his deal.