New QB options/opinions moving into 2021

36 minutes ago, JMG5 said:

I know it's unlikely, but if we can somehow trade up and get a QB I would be ecstatic. All Payton needs is talent at the position and I think he can build a successful QB.

I was hopeful before Taysom started games for us, but after seeing him for a few games he just doesn't do the basic QB things well enough. He doesn't throw with touch nor anticipation very well and he doesn't process the game quick enough. 

I really like Desmond Ridder the more and more I study him. Hes a 2nd round talent with 1st round traits. Ideal prospect to draft in back half of round 1 and develop for a year or two. His flaws are decision making and raw techniques but he has a live arm with explosive down field vertical ability. Hes also a big kid at 6'4" 215lbs with the frame to get bigger. Hes an explosive athlete that fits what the NFL is trending toward. 

Drafting Ridder in the back ennd of round 1 does not threaten Hills status as the starter in 2021 but it does however put him on notice!

If Aaron Rodgers can watch his team trade up for a QB in round 1 last draft, Hill is in no position to not be threatened with competition in New Orleans now or in the future.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, whodatworm23 said:

I really like Desmond Ridder the more and more I study him. Hes a 2nd round talent with 1st round traits. Ideal prospect to draft in back half of round 1 and develop for a year or two. His flaws are decision making and raw techniques but he has a live arm with explosive down field vertical ability. Hes also a big kid at 6'4" 215lbs with the frame to get bigger. Hes an explosive athlete that fits what the NFL is trending toward. 

Drafting Ridder in the back ennd of round 1 does not threaten Hills status as the starter in 2021 but it does however put him on notice!

If Aaron Rodgers can watch his team trade up for a QB in round 1 last draft, Hill is in no position to not be threatened with competition in New Orleans now or in the future.

If we trade up for Wilson/Fields I'd be happy, if we stay pat and draft Lance I'd be happy, if stay at our pick and draft Ridder I'll be upset.  5th year or not unless we are picking #32 I'd rather trade back and draft him or trade up in the 2nd and draft someone else in the 1st.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Raves said:

If we trade up for Wilson/Fields I'd be happy, if we stay pat and draft Lance I'd be happy, if stay at our pick and draft Ridder I'll be upset.  5th year or not unless we are picking #32 I'd rather trade back and draft him or trade up in the 2nd and draft someone else in the 1st.

We all know that these QBs see their stock rise the closer we get to the draft. Ridder possesses 1st round physical traits that teams look for. Unlike others he has actual 3 years of tape to evaluate in which he got better and better. 

Honestly im not sure if hes worth a 1st round pick but he possesses the physical tools similar to that of Jordan Love and he led his team undefeated to the Bowl vs Georgia where they should have won. By all accounts he has great leadership qualties and is expected to interview well.

He appears to be your typical late riser... We will see. I still dont think the Saints are drafting a QB in 21. I think there going corner in round 1 and then filling out the roster as best they can after that. I think corner will take the biggest hit due to the cap so thats a logical place to find a potential starter oppsite Lattimore next year. Then i feel they start looking at WR, DL, S and LB... Maybe even a RB.

3 minutes ago, whodatworm23 said:

We all know that these QBs see their stock rise the closer we get to the draft. Ridder possesses 1st round physical traits that teams look for. Unlike others he has actual 3 years of tape to evaluate in which he got better and better. 

Honestly im not sure if hes worth a 1st round pick but he possesses the physical tools similar to that of Jordan Love and he led his team undefeated to the Bowl vs Georgia where they should have won. By all accounts he has great leadership qualties and is expected to interview well.

He appears to be your typical late riser... We will see. I still dont think the Saints are drafting a QB in 21. I think there going corner in round 1 and then filling out the roster as best they can after that. I think corner will take the biggest hit due to the cap so thats a logical place to find a potential starter oppsite Lattimore next year. Then i feel they start looking at WR, DL, S and LB... Maybe even a RB.

That is if Lattimore doesn't expect a contract more than he's worth.  We might be needing to replace both starting CBs...

1 hour ago, Raves said:

That is if Lattimore doesn't expect a contract more than he's worth.  We might be needing to replace both starting CBs...

Dont see that happening... Regardless what we think, Payton always has refered to Lattimore and Ramczyk as young core members of the franchise that they will eventually get extended. I think we will see that happen this offseason.

All aboard the Ridder bandwagon if we don't trade up. Late 1st is a perfectly fine spot for him. If you think a QB has franchise QB qualities, you take him, especially in our situation. I'm sure teams in hindsight are kicking themselves for not taking guys like Russell Wilson and Dak Prescott. Even a guy like Hurts this year is showing to be a quality addition that was somewhat overlooked in the draft.

Ridder has a ton of physical talent to work with and keeps getting better each year. Looked great against Georgia until his LT got ejected then it kind of got ugly. Cincinnati's OL was clearly getting overmatched by Georgia's DL. Not much Ridder could do in the 2nd half.

When he had some time to make throws in the 1st half he looked really good though. Great zip on his passes, fit some balls in tight windows and showed off his ability to improvise. Also liked that he didn't try to force too many plays if they weren't there, he calmly threw a few away and lived to fight another down. Given that it was the biggest game in his career and probably his best chance to showcase his ability for the next level, I found it very impressive.

Wilson is still my top target, but I'd be thrilled with Ridder if we don't trade up.

Couple videos from that Georgia game:

Edited by tyler735

Maybe I'm missing something here, but that film is horrible. 
Now, I haven't watched any of Cincinnati's games, but this film is not good at all. Longest attempt was about 7 yards, constant check downs, staring down receivers only to throw late, totally ignoring open receivers, not protecting the ball... I'm not sure what you guys are seeing here.

Regardless of our QB situation, this may be our last draft with Ireland and Fontenot running our college scouting. Ireland is being interviewed by several teams for the GM position. Fontenot is also being looked at for various positions around the league.

Dennis Allen and Aaron Glenn are also going to get looks to go elsewhere for HC consideration.

3 hours ago, Mid Iowa said:

Now, I haven't watched any of Cincinnati's games, but this film is not good at all. Longest attempt was about 7 yards, constant check downs, staring down receivers only to throw late, totally ignoring open receivers, not protecting the ball... I'm not sure what you guys are seeing here.

I should have emphasized I feel context in that video is key. Ridder was playing a against a top flight SEC team while he was playing with a bunch of guys that were essentially overachieving for their talent level/ability. He has plenty of tapes of him looking like a man against boys when his team is more evenly matched.

That said, some throws that stick out to me:

1:18 Excellent zip on slant route in traffic about 10-15 yards down field. That has Michael Thomas written all over it. I'd venture to say that little rollout the next play to find his WR on the comeback route is also a type of play I'd expect to see in our system.

1:39 Finds his guy open on the in route for the touchdown. 

3:49 Nice 30 yard (in the air) dart that connects on a deeper slant route.

4:00 Solid out route with plenty of velocity and good placement allowing his WR to make a play after the catch

4:15 Excellent ability to improvise keep his composure and eyes down field to make a crucial 1st down. His LT gets ejected on this play for targeting after the play.

4:36 Another play with some top level improvising. Scrambles around keeps his eyes down field and despite being a bit off balance when he throws gets enough arm on it for the touchdown pass. 

This certainly wasn't a "gaudy" game from him from a statistical perspective, I would have posted a game against lower level competition for that. It was more showing that he could put his team in a position to win playing against an opponent that is undoubtedly more talented than his team. Ridder has plenty of games where you can see jaw dropping highlights and would certainly recommend checking them out. 

This game was him playing within his system executing on short/intermediate types of plays (2nd half wasn't so great, but his OL took a beating) that we have found quite a bit of success with in recent years, and it's kind of sad that this has to be mentioned, but just about every screen pass/quick pass from Ridder is out right away and where it needs to go. Taysom Hill has yet to show he can hit a screen pass consistently after 4 games. That is still a huge concern for me with Taysom Hill. Guys like Kamara and Thomas rely heavily on these quick timing plays. About the worst thing a new QB in our system could do is limit their effectiveness by not being able to execute these plays. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Mid Iowa said:

Im not saying Ridder is Josh Allen but watching Ridders game tape reminds me of when I watched Allens out of Wyoming. The talent around him compared to the good teams he faced was vast. Most of the time it had to be 1 quick reads with the ball out. Cincinnati's offensive line was outmatched in almost every game but a few yet Ridders natural ability led them to a undefeated season and helped them go toe to toe with Georgia in a game some felt they should have won.

Hes at Cincinnati... But he has what you cant teach. He has 6'4" 215lbs with athleticism and a top shelf arm. With NFL talent around him and NFL coaching Ridder can be the steal of this draft but hes raw annd will need some time.

• Like 1

I was initially skeptical of Mac Jones and saw people label him as an AJ McCarron type with limited skills that just took advantage of having a super talented roster, but the more I see of him, the more I think he could be a quality NFL QB. I generally don't like too many unathletic "statue" QB prospects in today's NFL. That said, I'm really liking what I'm seeing from Mac Jones.

In terms of physical traits, he certainly doesn't have the athletic ability or arm strength of some of the top guys coming out this year, but his accuracy and ability distribute the ball quickly going through reads is very enticing in the back half of round 1. He might not be the "sexy" pick in terms of physical traits, but seems to have the important mental traits needed to be a quality QB (quick processing, pocket awareness, good decisionmaking, etc), he looks pretty legit throwing the ball accurately all over the field.

With Ridder going back for his Senior year, I'm all aboard the Mac Jones train for us in the 1st round if we don't trade up.

Edited by tyler735
19 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

I was initially skeptical of Mac Jones and saw people label him as an AJ McCarron type with limited skills that just took advantage of having a super talented roster, but the more I see of him, the more I think he could be a quality NFL QB. I generally don't like too many unathletic "statue" QB prospects in today's NFL. That said, I'm really liking what I'm seeing from Mac Jones.

In terms of physical traits, he certainly doesn't have the athletic ability or arm strength of some of the top guys coming out this year, but his accuracy and ability distribute the ball quickly going through reads is very enticing in the back half of round 1. He might not be the "sexy" pick in terms of physical traits, but seems to have the important mental traits needed to be a quality QB (quick processing, pocket awareness, good decisionmaking, etc), he looks pretty legit throwing the ball accurately all over the field.

With Ridder going back for his Senior year, I'm all aboard the Mac Jones train for us in the 1st round if we don't trade up.

Jones would be a quality player in Sean Payton's system. Especially for this team that has playmakers and a quality oline and just need a QB that can distribute the football. Hell its what we been doing with Brees for the last 3 years.

Now Jones isnt the type of player you mortgage your future for but if he gets within striking distance or better yet falls to you late in the first, you jump on it.

25 minutes ago, whodatworm23 said:

Jones would be a quality player in Sean Payton's system. Especially for this team that has playmakers and a quality oline and just need a QB that can distribute the football. Hell its what we been doing with Brees for the last 3 years.

Exactly my thoughts as well. Seems like it would be a great fit for him.

25 minutes ago, whodatworm23 said:

Now Jones isnt the type of player you mortgage your future for but if he gets within striking distance or better yet falls to you late in the first, you jump on it.

Totally agree

Disagree. I think he can be a Kirk Cousins (without folding in big games like Kirk is so well known for) type QB. Not a guy that will wow you with physical ability, but a guy that is very capable of getting the ball where it needs to go and let his playmakers utilize their talents to take care of the rest. We have plenty of playmakers on the roster that just need a quality distributor to get them the ball. Mac Jones looks very capable of doing so. Easily worth a late 1st round pick.

I like Lawrence, Fields, Wilson, and Jones in the 1st round (obviously not getting Lawrence). Lance and Trask are guys that strike me as future busts.