New QB options/opinions moving into 2021

I do think Jones stock will rise the closer the draft gets but like always... Once people stop watching game film and focus more on workouts in shorts and shirts, prospects like Fields, Wilson and Lance will seprate themselves from Jones.

A little dirty secret in the NFL scouting comunity is that many offensive coaches are lazy. Funny but its a term used by scouts as to why coaches perfer the more athletic player because those guys can save a coach from a bad play or a GM from a bad oline. Players like Jones are still valued but only once the athletic guys are off the board.

This is something that could potentially work in the Saints favor regarding Jones.

• Like 1

I actually doubt the Saints even consider drafting a QB and look to FA. For some funny reason, I think Wentz get let go and SP salivates at the prospect of resurrecting the young-ish QB's career. That's best case scenario as far as I see it though.

As previously mentioned, we will have too many holes to fill. I think of all the personnel due to leave at the end of this season, Hendrickson is the front runner to stay.

With that said, my second most likely scenario is Winston comes back and competes for the QB position on an equal playing field with Taysom Hill. And, I would be willing to bet if this scenario played out, Winston would get the well deserved nod over Hill. I think Winston's abilities at the QB position and his maturity beat out Hill for the job. 

Hill is way too valuable as a gadget player to be in the full-time QB role.

My prediction: Winston gets a chance to shine and we draft a speedy WR in round one.

Yea, I’m on board for not drafting a QB, at least not this year.  I believe Winston will be more than serviceable, and if it doesn’t work out, Sean Payton won’t put up with too many seasons of sub par QB play.

As long as Payton’s here, offense is least of my worries.  May not break records, but we’ll always have a good offense.

• 2 weeks later...

The Saints should start fresh by drafting a QB this year.

I'd get behind Mac Jones, considering he played CFB in a state that could be considered Saints territory. But it might cost the Saints something considering they might have to trade up just to get him.

25 minutes ago, pf9 said:

The Saints should start fresh by drafting a QB this year.

I'd get behind Mac Jones, considering he played CFB in a state that could be considered Saints territory. But it might cost the Saints something considering they might have to trade up just to get him.

There are enough QBs that are projected in the first round that they shouldn't trade up unless they are extremely high on someone that starts to fall.  You have Lawrence, Fields, Lance, and Smith which are more or less locks for the first round then you have guys like Jones, Trask, and a few others that are borderline 1st round projected picks.

Maybe I'm a stubborn fool but I really don't want us to draft a QB with a low 1st unless we're really sold on him. I'd rather roll the dice with Winston/Hill at QB. For me that scenario is a win-win. If it succeeds, great we have a QB for a while, if it fails, great, we get a high draft pick. I don't want a half solution at the QB position, so picking someone low and having an imperfect QB who doesn't let us ultimately compete makes no sense. I'd rather spend this pick on a position and strengthen the team (which will be depleted due to salary cap etc.).

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Canadian Saint said:

Maybe I'm a stubborn fool but I really don't want us to draft a QB with a low 1st unless we're really sold on him. I'd rather roll the dice with Winston/Hill at QB. For me that scenario is a win-win. If it succeeds, great we have a QB for a while, if it fails, great, we get a high draft pick. I don't want a half solution at the QB position, so picking someone low and having an imperfect QB who doesn't let us ultimately compete makes no sense. I'd rather spend this pick on a position and strengthen the team (which will be depleted due to salary cap etc.).

I'm the same way.  Seems like I've been down on Winston and Hill, but I'd also rather roll the dice on them and draft another position.

If it doesn't work out, then so be it.  I mean, who actually thinks we're gonna win a superbowl anytime soon?  I'm just looking forward to watching this team rebuild and some entertaining football, and if nothing else, Taysom and Jameis will certainly provide that.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Canadian Saint said:

Im the flip on this... Id love for us to find a young draft prospect at QB that our organization believes in and begins the developing process. Dont matter to me where hes drafted but I do perfer its a premuim investment (1st or 2nd round) that way the commitment level is high.

8 hours ago, whodatworm23 said:

Im the flip on this... Id love for us to find a young draft prospect at QB that our organization believes in and begins the developing process. Dont matter to me where hes drafted but I do perfer its a premuim investment (1st or 2nd round) that way the commitment level is high.

But there are possibly 2 QBs on the roster with starter capabilities, one of which is still only 27 y/o.  Outside of moving way up in the draft, none of the QBs have even close to the talent of Winston so we should at least see if he can figure it out under Payton as we'd have the same question marks if a rookie QB came in on whether they could figure it out and play in the NFL.  We at least know Winston can play in the NFL, just whether he can figure it out to take the next step is the question.

4 hours ago, Raves said:

But there are possibly 2 QBs on the roster with starter capabilities, one of which is still only 27 y/o.  Outside of moving way up in the draft, none of the QBs have even close to the talent of Winston so we should at least see if he can figure it out under Payton as we'd have the same question marks if a rookie QB came in on whether they could figure it out and play in the NFL.  We at least know Winston can play in the NFL, just whether he can figure it out to take the next step is the question.

i wasn't speaking on the 2021 draft in particular... I was just saying id like to find a young qb in the draft at some point with a premium investment. Hell Brees was the 1st pick of round 2.

As far as Winston compared to say Mac Jones... Stronger arm sure, more physically gifted sure. Is he more more athletic debatable. Jones blows him away with accuarcy, pocket awareness, anticipation, pocket manipulation and touch.

So saying Winston is a far better prospect at this point moving fwd id have to disagree. Where we would argee is that drafting Jones at 28 is still somewhat of a reach IMO but I still see him in Paytons system as a far better QB prospect than Winston moving fwd.

My feeling on this draft at QB is as follows...

Lawrence is going #1 so hes out of the discussion.

Outside of Lawrence, the only QB I'd be ok with making a massive trade to jump up for is Wilson. I really like Lance but not willing to make a massive trade for him. If Lance were to slip out of the top 10 and the trade cost comes down then im intrested.

Staying put at 28... Lawrence, Wilson, Fields and Lance will all be off the board. I would be very comfortable taking Mac Jones at 28. I think hes a top 50 player, more closer to the mid to upper part of round 2 but I underatand he will likely go late first due to positional need and value of the QB position in general. I do feel Jones is an ideal fit with the Saints as well so id underatand them valuing Jones at 28 for that reason as well as drafting a QB late first will fix so many cap issuse now and into the future for New Orleans so that has value in itself as well. Reports say that Jones might not even be available at 28... If that was the case I would not trade up for Jones.

Trask is a third round pick IMO, There are things about him I like but I would not draft him in the top 50.

The deal I wish could be made is the Jets draft Wilson or Fields at 2 and the Saints swing a deal for Darnold for a 2nd round pick.

Some may hate Darnold but Im still extremly high on him and under Payton Darnold could be Special.

Raves,

You getting a chance to check out this Senior bowl practices? I just cannot see how the Saints wouldn't  be interested in Mac Jones from pick 20 on... if he gets past NE at 15 I think Loomis makes a play for him regardless who is back at QB next year. Jones is just so cerebral and smart, insanely accurate... reminds me so much of Drew coming out of Purdue.

I know I'm a lot higher on him than you... but Mickey and Sean are in Mobile along with Jeff and we know that they typically draft prospects from this game. I'm just hopeful, 😆 

Another note... Kellen Mond might be a guy in the 3rd to develop if the Saints wanna go that route.

1 hour ago, whodatworm23 said:

Raves,

You getting a chance to check out this Senior bowl practices? I just cannot see how the Saints wouldn't  be interested in Mac Jones from pick 20 on... if he gets past NE at 15 I think Loomis makes a play for him regardless who is back at QB next year. Jones is just so cerebral and smart, insanely accurate... reminds me so much of Drew coming out of Purdue.

I know I'm a lot higher on him than you... but Mickey and Sean are in Mobile along with Jeff and we know that they typically draft prospects from this game. I'm just hopeful, 😆 

Another note... Kellen Mond might be a guy in the 3rd to develop if the Saints wanna go that route.

Nope no chance.  But I just don't see the Saints being in a position to draft a QB in the first round considering all the other positions they're going to need to address due to cap casualties coming up.  If anything I wouldn't mind seeing the Saints pull a Patriots and trade out of the 1st completely looking for a future 1st or multiple 2nd or 3rd round picks to help get some young cheaper talent on the roster.  CB, LB, and OL could all use more depth/potential starters considering who will likely be cut if they can't work out a very favorable restructure.

Granted if both Winston and Hill weren't on the roster I'd be much more for drafting a QB this year.  I think they should just go into next year with those 2 and let the dice fall where they may.  If they are great and the Saints don't drop off then awesome we got our future QB, but if they are just average or suck then great we've put ourselves into a position to draft a much better QB than the likely options at 28.

Larry holder on the athletic had an article this morning and stated he’s bet Winston is our starter next season. Here is Holders opinion on how the Saints feel about Winston compared to Stanford:

• Winston possesses the same level of talent as Stafford, but with more upside;
  • The Saints don’t have to give up any assets for Winston outside of a team-friendly contract;
  • Winston is in his peak physical prime;
  • Payton can coach the interceptions out of Winston;
  • Winston’s football IQ is “off the charts