Jump to content

New QB options/opinions moving into 2021


Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, Canadian Saint said:

Larry holder on the athletic had an article this morning and stated he’s bet Winston is our starter next season. Here is Holders opinion on how the Saints feel about Winston compared to Stanford:

 

  • Winston possesses the same level of talent as Stafford, but with more upside;
  • The Saints don’t have to give up any assets for Winston outside of a team-friendly contract;
  • Winston is in his peak physical prime;
  • Payton can coach the interceptions out of Winston;
  • Winston’s football IQ is “off the charts

I guess I just need to see it... I swear I hope Winston proves me wrong, I hop he resigns (team friendly deal) and has a pro-bowl year in 2021 I really do but man did he make terrible decision after terrible decision in 2019. If Winston comes back and turns his career around and leads the Saints to the playoffs and becomes the player most thought he'd be then Payton is the coach of the year.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Been a huge Mac Jones supporter for our 1st round pick, but unfortunately I think he will be long gone by the time we pick at #28. My guess is he goes somewhere in the top 15. At this point, my guess would be Winston is our starting QB next year unless we can find a decent trade partner to grab one of the top QB's.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tyler735 said:

Been a huge Mac Jones supporter for our 1st round pick, but unfortunately I think he will be long gone by the time we pick at #28. My guess is he goes somewhere in the top 15. At this point, my guess would be Winston is our starting QB next year unless we can find a decent trade partner to grab one of the top QB's.

Crazy as it might sound I can see Mac going as high as 7th to the Panthers who are coaching him at the senior bowl which would give Joe Brady a guy similar to Burrow. The lowest I can see for Mac now is the Washington Football Team who I believe is at 20. Then their is New England, Minnesota and Denver all in-between that could grab him.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, whodatworm23 said:

Crazy as it might sound I can see Mac going as high as 7th to the Panthers who are coaching him at the senior bowl which would give Joe Brady a guy similar to Burrow. The lowest I can see for Mac now is the Washington Football Team who I believe is at 20. Then their is New England, Minnesota and Denver all in-between that could grab him.

Yeah I got him as my 3rd best QB. I think top 10 could definitely happen especially if he continues to impress at the Senior Bowl this week (Kiper and McShay also think so). His accuracy and touch are so stinking good. This is just a ridiculous throw (2nd video when they show the reverse angle)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, whodatworm23 said:

I guess I just need to see it... I swear I hope Winston proves me wrong, I hop he resigns (team friendly deal) and has a pro-bowl year in 2021 I really do but man did he make terrible decision after terrible decision in 2019. If Winston comes back and turns his career around and leads the Saints to the playoffs and becomes the player most thought he'd be then Payton is the coach of the year.

And honestly that's the most reasonable and fair approach. I'm also in the same boat, I mean we've heard from Payton that Hill is "the next Steve Young" and that is obviously not true. I think the thing that gives me the most hope is Winston "being in the system". Payton puts an emphasis on QBs being in his QB room and learning the prep and his offense for a while. That's why Teddy started over Hill last season, and that's why Hill started over Winston this season. Winston is also the most talented QB off the 3 we've mentioned. He's not perfect, and his 2019 film has a lot of errors. However Payton is a top notch coach, especially at QB. If anyone can harness Winston's talent it's him. By all accounts Winston has had the perfect attitude too.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Canadian Saint said:

And honestly that's the most reasonable and fair approach. I'm also in the same boat, I mean we've heard from Payton that Hill is "the next Steve Young" and that is obviously not true. I think the thing that gives me the most hope is Winston "being in the system". Payton puts an emphasis on QBs being in his QB room and learning the prep and his offense for a while. That's why Teddy started over Hill last season, and that's why Hill started over Winston this season. Winston is also the most talented QB off the 3 we've mentioned. He's not perfect, and his 2019 film has a lot of errors. However Payton is a top notch coach, especially at QB. If anyone can harness Winston's talent it's him. By all accounts Winston has had the perfect attitude too.

Honestly I feel this quarterback situation gets solved when Loomis takes the decision out of Payton's hand... sounds crazy and yeah I've heard the story about him wanting Mahomes but the point is he didn't get Mahomes, he thought Hill was the next Steve Young, he made a statement that out of Mayfield Allen and Jackson it would be Sam Darnold who would still be in the league 3 years after the draft.

 

I really don't trust Payton's evaluation on quarterbacks honestly. He's a hell of a coach and play designer but as far as what I've seen and read in the past oppose to how things played out... he's not the guy you want picking the quarterback. He's the guy you want coaching him.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have no reason not to take Payton at his word in regards to Mahomes. There was talk before the draft that we were interested and even before Mahomes became "Mahomes" before the 2018 season (where he had 1 game under his belt with 0 touchdowns and 1 interceptions in his rookie year), Payton went on record saying Mahomes was strongly considered for the pick.

Article from 4/23/2018:

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/platform/amp/2018/4/23/17272214/sean-payton-saints-would-have-taken-patrick-mahomes-with-pick-11

Long story short, I do trust Payton's judgment on evaluating QB's. I do think the Hill comments were more hyperbole than anything. I give him props for finding that diamond in the rough though off the Packers practice squad even if he isn't a legit "starting" QB he has been a valuable piece that can fill in as a back up QB. He had Bridgewater brought in who looked good with us, and I think he can get solid production out of Winston it's just to what extent can he control his gunslinger mentality and minimize his turnovers. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I mean Hill does have similar physical abilities to Steve Young, the difference is Steve Young was much better at reading defenses and throwing with anticipation.  So although Hill could've been the next Steve Young, he obviously isn't going to be based on what we've seen.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Raves said:

I mean Hill does have similar physical abilities to Steve Young, the difference is Steve Young was much better at reading defenses and throwing with anticipation.  So although Hill could've been the next Steve Young, he obviously isn't going to be based on what we've seen.

Don't you kinda feel Winston will want a simi highly paid backup contract, of course low base and incentive laden but something that the Saints might not be able to match if other come calling and he feels he has a better shot at a starting gig elsewhere?

 

I mean... Detroit (Dan Campbell saw the same stuff Payton did), Washington (Riverboat Ron knows him well from his time in Carolina) and New England (the Pats might get desprate). All these teams could make a move on Winston and I'm finding it hard to believe that Winston was on the same page as Payton with Hill starting. I thinks that why Payton felt he needed to publicly explain himself mid-season.

 

On top of that, even if Winston wants to believe he has a shot to start in NOLA... his agent will be the first to point out Taylor Hills contract to him. Fact is that Winston might be up against it to be the starter in New Orleans next season and if another opportunity pops up in free agency that gives him more security and a more favorable path to starting, I think he might bounce.

Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, whodatworm23 said:

Don't you kinda feel Winston will want a simi highly paid backup contract, of course low base and incentive laden but something that the Saints might not be able to match if other come calling and he feels he has a better shot at a starting gig elsewhere?

 

I mean... Detroit (Dan Campbell saw the same stuff Payton did), Washington (Riverboat Ron knows him well from his time in Carolina) and New England (the Pats might get desprate). All these teams could make a move on Winston and I'm finding it hard to believe that Winston was on the same page as Payton with Hill starting. I thinks that why Payton felt he needed to publicly explain himself mid-season.

 

On top of that, even if Winston wants to believe he has a shot to start in NOLA... his agent will be the first to point out Taylor Hills contract to him. Fact is that Winston might be up against it to be the starter in New Orleans next season and if another opportunity pops up in free agency that gives him more security and a more favorable path to starting, I think he might bounce.

I have no clue who this Taylor Hills person is but I would say that at worst the dude probably only has one year left on his contract so I doubt the team is that committed to him.

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Raves said:

I have no clue who this Taylor Hills person is but I would say that at worst the dude probably only has one year left on his contract so I doubt the team is that committed to him.

1 year... at 16 mil

 

Taylor... 😆 sorry but that!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...