New QB options/opinions moving into 2021

Mid Iowa

47 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

Come on Saints front office, make this happen!

Cool... love to have him, think he's playing and interviewing himself out of our reach though. Saints always seem to fall for a player at the Senior Bowl. This year will be even more focus on it as with Covid this might be the players they get the best bead on before the draft.

Just now, whodatworm23 said:

Cool... love to have him, think he's playing and interviewing himself out of our reach though. Saints always seem to fall for a player at the Senior Bowl. This year will be even more focus on it as with Covid this might be the players they get the best bead on before the draft.

Yeah very possible he is doing so. That said, hopefully teams picking early are enamored by Fields/Lance athletic tools (Lawrence/Wilson likely go top 2). Could still allow him to be a potential trade up option if a team like the Panthers go for Lance to find that next Cam Newton type player (I think Lance will bust) at pick #9. Could see the Falcons take a look at Fields at #4. If this all happens. Just maybe we can do a Marcus Davenport type trade to the middle of round 1, except actually grab a QB this time when making a huge trade like that.

4 hours ago, tyler735 said:

Yeah very possible he is doing so. That said, hopefully teams picking early are enamored by Fields/Lance athletic tools (Lawrence/Wilson likely go top 2). Could still allow him to be a potential trade up option if a team like the Panthers go for Lance to find that next Cam Newton type player (I think Lance will bust) at pick #9. Could see the Falcons take a look at Fields at #4. If this all happens. Just maybe we can do a Marcus Davenport type trade to the middle of round 1, except actually grab a QB this time when making a huge trade like that.

I love Mac's accuracy and poise... personally I would take him at 28 if he fell because he's  such a good fit with the Saints. Having said that onto, I don't know if i would be willing to give up my 2022 1st to get him though. Maybe if he fell far enough to where it only cost me a 2021 3rd plus the 28th pick. The thing about Jones, you have to surround him with a quality team and it gets tough when you trade away 1st round picks.

6 minutes ago, whodatworm23 said:

I love Mac's accuracy and poise... personally I would take him at 28 if he fell because he's  such a good fit with the Saints. Having said that onto, I don't know if i would be willing to give up my 2022 1st to get him though. Maybe if he fell far enough to where it only cost me a 2021 3rd plus the 28th pick. The thing about Jones, you have to surround him with a quality team and it gets tough when you trade away 1st round picks.

I'm for trading picks in this scenario. I'm of the belief that if you view a guy as a franchise QB, take him if you can find a way to get him. I view Mac Jones as a guy that can be a franchise QB.

We will have a good OL for years to come. Seems we have always done well replacing guys on the OL when the time comes as well. We also have Kamara and Thomas for the foreseeable future with some other guys (Callaway, Harris, and Trautman come to mind) that have flashed some potential. 

Our recent drafts have put us in an excellent position (if we can retain some of those key pieces on defense) going forward. Sounds like the salary cap may not be dropping as previously predicted, which would massive for us resigning some of those key guys.

1 hour ago, tyler735 said:

I'm for trading picks in this scenario. I'm of the belief that if you view a guy as a franchise QB, take him if you can find a way to get him. I view Mac Jones as a guy that can be a franchise QB.

We will have a good OL for years to come. Seems we have always done well replacing guys on the OL when the time comes as well. We also have Kamara and Thomas for the foreseeable future with some other guys (Callaway, Harris, and Trautman come to mind) that have flashed some potential. 

Our recent drafts have put us in an excellent position (if we can retain some of those key pieces on defense) going forward. Sounds like the salary cap may not be dropping as previously predicted, which would massive for us resigning some of those key guys.

I can understand that... I'm just a believer that in order to mortgage your future the guy has to be someone that can carry a franchise or someone that can turn a bad play, busted protection into something positive. As much as I like Mac I don't see him as that guy. Could he be a guy you win a superbowl with... yes! Can you win with him... yes. Is he a franchise guy... maybe.

2 hours ago, whodatworm23 said:

Know your gonna hate this and I might be starting WW3 here but... I have Fields as my 5th QB. Not real high on him.

I got him as my #4 guessing you put Lawrence/Wilson/Jones/Lance ahead of him? I got Lawrence/Wilson/Jones ahead of him. I see Mariota part 2 with Fields

24 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

I got him as my #4 guessing you put Lawrence/Wilson/Jones/Lance ahead of him? I got Lawrence/Wilson/Jones ahead of him. I see Mariota part 2 with Fields

I think Fields is better than Mariota but I think if Fields goes to the wrong situation he could easily end up like him.

On 1/28/2021 at 4:17 PM, Raves said:

I mean Hill does have similar physical abilities to Steve Young, the difference is Steve Young was much better at reading defenses and throwing with anticipation.  So although Hill could've been the next Steve Young, he obviously isn't going to be based on what we've seen.

Steve Young was really smart. Scored a 33 on the Wonderlic test. Taysom... 17.

Not that the test is the end all, be all, but it's certainly one heck of an indicator. (Winston, a 27).

Some potentially good news with the Lions trading Stafford to the Rams for Goff and a ton of draft picks (Rams got fleeced pretty bad trying to offload Goff's contract).

If the Lions decide to give Goff a season to be the guy at QB this means there is 1 less team picking in the top 10 that would take a QB. They now have a ton of ammo in the next couple drafts after this to load up, so I could see them waiting until next year to pull the trigger on their QB if Goff doesn't pan out with them.

This would leave Jaguars, Jets, Falcons, Panthers, and Broncos as top 10 that may look at QB in the draft. The Jaguars are basically a lock to grab a QB, but beyond that it's hard to say what those teams will do.

The Jets may give Darnold another year, Falcons might think Ryan still has a few more years, Panthers likely draft a QB (reports aren't so great in regards to Bridgewater being the guy there), Broncos may give Lock another year. 

I think this may help our chances of getting a guy like Jones. We likely could pull off a trade to get in that 10-14 range to grab a QB (similar to Davenport trade). Think we have to get in front of the Patriots to get our guy.

2 hours ago, tyler735 said:

Some potentially good news with the Lions trading Stafford to the Rams for Goff and a ton of draft picks (Rams got fleeced pretty bad trying to offload Goff's contract).

If the Lions decide to give Goff a season to be the guy at QB this means there is 1 less team picking in the top 10 that would take a QB. They now have a ton of ammo in the next couple drafts after this to load up, so I could see them waiting until next year to pull the trigger on their QB if Goff doesn't pan out with them.

This would leave Jaguars, Jets, Falcons, Panthers, and Broncos as top 10 that may look at QB in the draft. The Jaguars are basically a lock to grab a QB, but beyond that it's hard to say what those teams will do.

The Jets may give Darnold another year, Falcons might think Ryan still has a few more years, Panthers likely draft a QB (reports aren't so great in regards to Bridgewater being the guy there), Broncos may give Lock another year. 

I think this may help our chances of getting a guy like Jones. We likely could pull off a trade to get in that 10-14 range to grab a QB (similar to Davenport trade). Think we have to get in front of the Patriots to get our guy.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Jets traded for Watson.  Granted what it would cost I'm not sure, but I think the #2 overall pick has a lot more value what the 1st round picks that the Rams gave up considering they're expected to be late 1sts, though that would only mean that Houston replaces the Jets as a team needing a QB and picking that high they would pick one for sure.

• Like 1