Honest question, do people even want to make the playoffs if Alex Smith can’t play?

turtle28

Do people want to make the playoffs is Alex Smith can’t play?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Do people want to make the playoffs is Alex Smith can’t play?

• Yes, it shows we are heading in the right direction
    • No, I’d rather have the higher draft pick

Honest question here, and I know the forum is somewhat split on this so it’s going to be a highly debated topic but:

Do you want to still make the playoffs if Alex Smith can’t play?

Alex has been the main difference in this team consistently winning not only this year, but also dating back to 2018 before his leg injury. 

If I’m being honest, w/o Alex I don’t think we have much of a chance to win this weekend or in the wild card round of the playoffs.

Since I believe that w/o Alex we are backing our way into the playoffs such as we did in 2007, I don’t think it makes much sense to go to the playoffs. 

As most know, me and others have seen this year as a true rebuilding and developing year and although the head coach ruined what could’ve been a top 5 draft pick for this franchise by trying to win the division and therefore not likely being able to add another true defensive stud or offensive stud/great QB prospect, we still have a shot to get a top 10 spot if we lose Sunday.

I have to be honest, I’m torn on this. I always want Washington to win and I would obviously want Taylor Heinicke to play well and prove a lot of people wrong in doing so because those are the best stories in football but, the idea of having a top 10 pick in next years draft and adding a piece that will really improve this team for the next decade is what I’ve wanted all year.

So, I have to say if Alex can’t play, I’d rather not make the playoffs and take the top 10 draft pick.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Honest question here, and I know the forum is somewhat split on this so it’s going to be a highly debated topic but:

Do you want to still make the playoffs is Alex Smith can’t play?

Alex has been the main difference in this team consistently winning not only this year, but also dating back to 2018 before his leg injury. 

If I’m being honest, w/o Alex I don’t think we have much of a chance to win this weekend or in the wild card round of the playoffs.

Since I believe that w/o Alex we are backing our way into the playoffs such as we did in 2007, I don’t think it makes much sense to go to the playoffs. 

As most know, me and others have seen this year as a true rebuilding and developing year and although the head coach ruined what could’ve been a top 5 draft pick for this franchise by trying to win the division and therefore not likely being able to add another true defensive stud or offensive stud/great QB prospect, we still have a shot to get a top 10 spot if we lose Sunday.

I have to be honest, I’m torn on this. I always want Washington to win and I would obviously want Taylor Heinicke to play well and prove a lot of people wrong in doing so because those are the best stories in football but, the idea of having a top 10 pick in next years draft and adding a piece that will really improve this team for the next decade is what I’ve wanted all year.

So, I have to say if Alex can’t play, I’d rather not make the playoffs and take the top 10 draft pick.

The bolded encapsulates my internal struggle with this year. I am a fan and will always reflexively want to see the TDs and wins, etc...

But the idea of trotting out Heinecke to win and then get demolished by TB and missing out on a better pick that will help for a decade's hard to stomach. In my day job, I have to think long-term. And there's benefit short term for playoffs. But long term, not so much.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ovfd55 said:

Yeah why not, We almost beat the 3 seed without Alex or Gibson.Would I expect us to win a game in the playoffs no,but would it shock me if we gave the Bucs a game no.

That's also a conundrum I have. IF we do make it to the playoffs, we've already screwed up our pick so I want to go as deep as possible. I want nothing more than the Brady fan-bois to shut up about his record vs. Washington and how he's the GOAT, blah blah freaking blah.

Maybe I’ll have to eat crow on this later, but I was telling my friends about a couple weeks ago that if we make the playoffs, I want us to play the Bucs in the first round. Which it looks like if we win that is most likely who we will play. I think we can give Brady fits all day and shut down their offense. If we can have just a decent run game and not turn the ball over I like our chances to beat the Bucs, I also believe we could beat Seattle in a rematch. 

Imo, it's more reason to want to make the playoffs, if Smith isn't starting & it's Heinicke.

Why?

If this kids balls out & wins Sunday Night? He's a keeper for sure.

But what if he lights it up vs Tampa in the 1st Rd & we win vs Brady?

Then, what he continues to rock in the Divisional Round?

the Championship Game?

OMG! The Superbowl...

Want to know what Questions will be answered?

We won't be drafting a QB in the first round, that's what.

should make it easier for you draft guys...🤓

1 hour ago, Umbaugh21 said:

Maybe I’ll have to eat crow on this later, but I was telling my friends about a couple weeks ago that if we make the playoffs, I want us to play the Bucs in the first round. Which it looks like if we win that is most likely who we will play. I think we can give Brady fits all day and shut down their offense. If we can have just a decent run game and not turn the ball over I like our chances to beat the Bucs, I also believe we could beat Seattle in a rematch. 

That’s very true, the Bucs DL sucks outside of Wirfs so, our DL should dominate the Bucs OL and force Brady into mistakes bc as we all know and have seen this year over and over Brady doesn’t like to get hit anymore and will throw up prayers when pressure comes.

19 minutes ago, aceinthehouse said:

Imo, it's more reason to want to make the playoffs, if Smith isn't starting & it's Heinicke.

Why?

If this kids balls out & wins Sunday Night? He's a keeper for sure.

But what if he lights it up vs Tampa in the 1st Rd & we win vs Brady?

Then, what he continues to rock in the Divisional Round?

the Championship Game?

OMG! The Superbowl...

Want to know what Questions will be answered?

We won't be drafting a QB in the first round, that's what.

should make it easier for you draft guys...🤓

I mean that would be the greatest dream to ever come true, which is why I struggle with this. And, no it doesn’t make it easier for me at all bc Heinicke is Colt McCoy.

Heinicke is savvy, he seems to make good decisions with the ball, he has good legs and will run for first downs if nothings open downfield but he doesn’t even have a good NFL arm - aka an Alex Smith type arm - to really say he can be the long term answer.

Heinicke is back up QB material. From what I saw on Sunday from him, I wish we could place his decision making and savvy into Kyle Allen or Dwayne Haskins’s bodies/minds bc if we did then, we’d have a QB who could be a franchise QB but, that’s impossible.

Edited by turtle28