Week 17 - Rams vs Cardinals

RamRod

22 minutes ago, rocky_rams said:

Just curious. If you win the lotto. Are you taking lump sum or the residual?

Lump sum. Because of the time value of money. But I am an experienced investor. If I wasn't and didn't have a lot of financial literacy, I would take the annuity.

23 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

You're shot man. You got caught looking like a Goff homer over a Rams fan for a minute and want to double down instead of admitting it may have come off wrong. Whatever enjoy youre delusion.

I just want to win. I don't care if it means we win ONCE in the next decade, I want to win a G'damn Superbowl. The Patriots have really spoiled football for some people thinking this type of dynastic success is feasible. It's not. 

I am a fan. I don't get a Super Bowl ring. The Super Bowl is the goal, but I'd much rather watch the Rams win 10-13 games per year for the next decade and not be guaranteed anything with regard to the Super Bowl than win a Super Bowl this year and be a mediocre to sucky team for the next decade. The 2020 Super Bowl isn't going to make me feel any better when we're winning 6 games in 2022 or 7 games in 2023 or 8 games in 2024. I want to compete long term, and I'll take my chances.

My post only came off wrong if you didn't bother reading the thread. But that didn't stop you from jumping in to rant about what a Goff homer I am while apparently not understanding the context of the conversation. Don't expect kindness and understanding from me after that.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

I am a fan. I don't get a Super Bowl ring. The Super Bowl is the goal, but I'd much rather watch the Rams win 10-13 games per year for the next decade and not be guaranteed anything with regard to the Super Bowl than win a Super Bowl this year and be a mediocre to sucky team for the next decade. The 2020 Super Bowl isn't going to make me feel any better when we're winning 6 games in 2022 or 7 games in 2023 or 8 games in 2024. I want to compete long term, and I'll take my chances.

100% agree. We had the GSOT which was a lot of fun. I was probably a bit too young to really appreciate how good those teams were but the 2007-2016 Rams were brutal to watch. We'd be doing mock offseasons in mid October. I don't really care that people make fun of the 2019 SB, the 2018 team so much fun to watch. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, LeotheLion said:

100% agree. We had the GSOT which was a lot of fun. I was probably a bit too young to really appreciate how good those teams were but the 2007-2016 Rams were brutal to watch. We'd be doing mock offseasons in mid October. I don't really care that people make fun of the 2019 SB, the 2018 team so much fun to watch. 

Exactly. Super Bowls are memorable. They're fun. I'd love to win a bunch. But they don't compensate for how frustrating it is to lose. I enjoy watching our team compete. Eagles fans have been pretty miserable this year. I don't want to be in their shoes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BStanRamFan said:

I can't twist this into anything other than what it says. Get defensive all you want on your moronic statement to make it seem like I changed it around, but it's right there. You would rather have McVay + Goff being the franchise QB(in this example) then a Superbowl (with Wolford) + busted Goff. There's no twisting that statement because those are the circumstances we currently have on this team heading into Sunday and we are in the game day thread.

The term franchise QB is far too broad these days to get into the weeds with. If we somehow win a superbowl with John Wolford, then Goff has busted to this organization. Then we sit him behind Wolford until we can move on from his dead money. And I would be 1000% OK with that if it meant we win a SuperBowl. We've seen plenty of players and contracts and trades (Sammy Watkins, Brandin Cooks, Todd Gurley, Jalen Ramsey) all threaten to hurt the Rams long term because of how we played it and yet here we are, one game away from the playoffs and the best defense in all of football.

And the Eagles will likely get back multiple picks or atleast a 1st rounder on Wentz, move forward with Hurts next year, and be back in the playoffs after a down, injury riddled season. Pederson is going nowhere.

I'm so confused by your stance here. Jrry literally said the phrase "I'd rather have Mcvay + a franchise QB than a Super Bowl this year + a bust QB" and you're turning that into not wanting a SB unless it's Goff winning it. Where does that say that he would be against a third option of a Superbowl this year + a franchise QB? 

You really need to stop with this Goff homer crap. A Goff homer wouldn't admit that he's been playing bad, which NO ONE HERE IS REFUSING TO SAY. Everyone you consider a Goff homer is simply pointing out that he is not the only problem. 

Edited by JonStark
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, JonStark said:

I'm so confused by your stance here. Jrry literally said the phrase "I'd rather have Mcvay + a franchise QB than a Super Bowl this year + a bust QB" and you're turning that into not wanting a SB unless it's Goff winning it. Where does that say that he would be against a third option of a Superbowl this year + a franchise QB? 

You really need to stop with this Goff homer crap. A Goff homer wouldn't admit that he's been playing bad, which NO ONE HERE IS REFUSING TO SAY. Everyone you consider a Goff homer is simply pointing out that he is not the only problem. 

I'd be stoked if Wolford leads us to a Super Bowl. What I am not willing to do is trade the future of our QB position for a Super Bowl this year. But it's a hypothetical, so it's not like I'd ever have to make that trade. Nothing can guarantee us a Super Bowl. Nothing can guarantee us Goff busting or becoming a star. Nothing can guarantee Wolford wouldn't become a star if he did somehow win a Super Bowl. It was an academic discussion. I made it quite obvious that I'd be very happy if we won a Super Bowl, but I didn't understand why a Rams fan seemed happy at the prospect of Goff busting.

• Like 2

My stance is that the Rams can win with Goff. What baffles my mind is the Rams have yet to have a losing season under McVay with Goff and people act like Goff is a bum and is JaMarcus Russell. Its one thing to say the Rams can win MORE with another QB which tbh how much more? What 1, 2, 3 more games? Another QB can win the Superbowl because Goff got the Rams to the Superbowl so you cant say he didnt. Truth is, the Rams will always be in contention in the NFC West and in the NFC with McVay and Goff at the helm. 

What the fans and media fall trap of is thinking the "what if". Take the Lions for example. They had head coach Caldwell. He had the Lions in the playoffs twice and had them winning 9 games. The fans and media was like what if the Lions upgraded at coach? The defense was good, Stafford is obviously talented. They had some skill positions players that were good. So the Lions fired Caldwell and brought in Patricia. How did that work out? Patricia was horrible. The Lions had no reason to fire Caldwell because he had the team playing well. Yes they didnt get over the hump by winning playoff games but they clearly took a huge step back from Caldwell. 

If the Rams moved on from Goff because the fans and media are playing the what if the Rams had another QB game? Tell me who that QB is and the long term plans? Will that QB even pick up McVay system well? Well that QB be a leader in the locker room? Will that QB get chemistry with Kupp and Woods? Well that QB not melt when the Rams have a lead because of course the Rams are 34-0 when leading at halftime. That means Goff never blown the game with a lead. So my point is, its easy to talk about moving off someone but whats the next option. Its not like the Colts moving on from Peyton because they had the 1st overall pick knowing they was going to draft Luck. Its not like the Packers being good with Favre leaving because they had ARod on the bench a guy who shouldve been 1st overall pick. Its not even the Chargers letting Brees walk because they had Rivers as the future and he was a top 5 pick. 

I agree with @jrry32 whats the long term plan? Dynasty doesnt mean winning Superbowls every year. It means a consistent level of success. With Goff the Rams are going to win 9+ games most years and either be in the playoff discussion or flat out make the playoffs and even win divisions. We dont know that about the future QB if we move on from Goff. Franchise QBs are hard to find too. The Dolphins THINK they finally have one in Tua. The last one they had was Marino and that was ages ago. The Browns THINK they have one in Mayfield. Its been ages since they had one. Washington THOUGHT they had one in RG3 before he got hurt. Cousins was never a franchise QB or else they wouldve kept him. The Cowboys arent sure Dak is or else they wouldve gave him a long term deal already. The Saints went decades between Archie Manning to now Brees. The Niners dont have one. Last time they did it was Steve Young. The last time the Broncos truly had one was Elway. Peyton was a brief stop. So my point is again its hard to find franchise QBs to plug in for the next 10+ years. I believe the Rams have one in Goff. His resume already is 2 pro bowls and a Super Bowl and he just turned 26 months ago. Now if you want to say he reached his peak then thats how you feel. I feel like he still is learning. So is McVay as a coach who is 34yrs old and still the youngest coach in football. Maybe its the lack of patience on the fans and media part because steady looking for the next big thing. Looking for the next Mahomes, the next Lamar, the next Kyler, the next Herbert, and next year the next Lawrence. Before all those guys it was looking for the next Wentz who was having an MVP season in 2017. Again the Rams can and are winning with Goff. 

Goff hasn't played well lately. If he continues to play at that level, we'll look to move on. He'll be our guy next year, but he needs to be better. That all said, the offense and OL haven't been the same since Whit went down. Goff is very reliant on the OL, so we need to take it seriously this offseason.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, jrry32 said:

I'd be stoked if Wolford leads us to a Super Bowl. What I am not willing to do is trade the future of our QB position for a Super Bowl this year. But it's a hypothetical, so it's not like I'd ever have to make that trade. Nothing can guarantee us a Super Bowl. Nothing can guarantee us Goff busting or becoming a star. Nothing can guarantee Wolford wouldn't become a star if he did somehow win a Super Bowl. It was an academic discussion. I made it quite obvious that I'd be very happy if we won a Super Bowl, but I didn't understand why a Rams fan seemed happy at the prospect of Goff busting.

I get your point but Goff is not a franchise QB. Goff is an average QB. If you replace him with another average QB you’d get similar results. 

We aren’t guaranteed anything with Goff and we aren’t guaranteed anything without Goff. One thing is for sure. We aren’t losing much if Goff is gone. 

12 minutes ago, rocky_rams said:

I get your point but Goff is not a franchise QB. Goff is an average QB. If you replace him with another average QB you’d get similar results. 

We aren’t guaranteed anything with Goff and we aren’t guaranteed anything without Goff. One thing is for sure. We aren’t losing much if Goff is gone. 

Ask the Bears, Jets, Broncos, and Redskins how easy it is to find an average starting QB. We aren't guaranteed anything. But you are wrong to write Goff off. And you are wrong to think we aren't losing much if Goff goes. I hope Wolford is a hidden gem. I am a Rams fan. If we can upgrade on Goff, I am all for it. But it's nowhere near as easy as you think. The grass isn't always greener.

1 minute ago, jrry32 said:

Ask the Bears, Jets, Broncos, and Redskins how easy it is to find an average starting QB. We aren't guaranteed anything. But you are wrong to write Goff off. And you are wrong to think we aren't losing much if Goff goes. I hope Wolford is a hidden gem. I am a Rams fan. If we can upgrade on Goff, I am all for it. But it's nowhere near as easy as you think. The grass isn't always greener.

Bears, Jets, Broncos and Redskins don’t have anywhere near a Sean McVay caliber coach. 

you said it yourself he’s a top coach. Give him an average QB and he will produce similar results.

Hell, give the Rams Ryan Fitzpatrick and we get similar if not better results 

I know how high you thought of him coming out. In fact you got me super excited for us drafting him but we can’t get it right all the time. 

Dont get me wrong, I’d love for Goff to have been the guy. I really liked him. But the more I see the more clear it becomes. 

Unfortunately, Goff isn’t that good. Give it a rest bro. hopefully we find a gem in rounds 2-7 next year or even someone who can replace Goff’s average production at a lower cost 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, rocky_rams said:

Bears, Jets, Broncos and Redskins don’t have anywhere near a Sean McVay caliber coach. 

The 49ers do. Yet, their coach has one winning season in four years. Why? Because of the QB position. McVay isn't a miracle worker. He's done well here because he has a capable QB.

you said it yourself he’s a top coach. Give him an average QB and he will produce similar results.

Cool. I just told you that average QBs don't grow on trees. It's not as simple as "just replace Goff with an average QB." You have to find one first. Andy Dalton was a lesser QB than Goff and started for 9 years with Cincy. Teams don't let capable starting QBs go.

Hell, give the Rams Ryan Fitzpatrick and we get similar if not better results 

I call bull on that.

I know how high you thought of him coming out. In fact you got me super excited for us drafting him but we can’t get it right all the time. 

Dont get me wrong, I’d love for Goff to have been the guy. I really liked him. But the more I see the more clear it becomes.

Cool. I still am not nearly as convinced as you are.

Unfortunately, Goff isn’t that good. Give it a rest bro. hopefully we find a gem in rounds 2-7 next year or even someone who can replace Goff’s average production at a lower cost 

You can give it a rest. You responded to me. I'll continue to hope that Goff keeps growing and becomes the guy for us. It makes everything a lot easier if he does.

Edited by jrry32
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

The 49ers do. Yet, their coach has one winning season in four years. Why? Because of the QB position. McVay isn't a miracle worker. He's done well here because he has a capable QB.

Cool. I just told you that average QBs don't grow on trees. It's not as simple as "just replace Goff with an average QB." You have to find one worst. Andy Dalton was a lesser QB than Goff and started for 9 years with Cincy. Teams don't let capable starting QBs go.

I call bull on that.

Cool. I still am not nearly as convinced as you are.

You can give it a rest. You responded to me. I'll continue to hope that Goff keeps growing and becomes the guy for us. It makes everything a lot easier if he does.

49ers have been injury plagued and have  playing with back up QBs that won’t start on most teams. 

don’t compare us to Cincy.  That’s not a franchise I’d use as a measuring stick. Look at AZ who got rid of Rosen after one year. This isn’t 2008 anymore. Teams move on faster. 

you’re making it seem like it’s a difficult to find an average QB. It’s really not. Replacing Goff with a franchise QB will be difficult but replacing Goff with an average QB such as himself is not as hard as you think. 

dude has 39 turnovers in the last two seasons LOL. He’s LAs  Jameis Winston