Bears release WR Deonte Thompson

topwop1

Bears released WR Deonte Thompson.
Thompson's snaps were dialed all the way back in Week 5, playing just eight snaps after being in on 53-of-68 plays in Week 4. He caught 11 balls for 125 yards and a score in five games. WR Tanner Gentry takes his roster spot

Some of you guys got your wish.  Tanner Gentry is back on the squad!!!!

Thompson and Bellamy both only played 11% of the offensive snaps Monday Night. 

I hope this is Pace realizing he needs to see who clicks with Trubisky and who doesn't. I believe Bellamy's contract is up after this season so hopefully he's not back again unless it's strictly for special teams. 

I have to think Wheaton and Mcbride will be on the outside, Wright in the slot and Gentry providing depth. 

5 hours ago, TankWilliams said:

I would rather they have kept Thompson over Bellamy.

I wouldn't. Both offer about the same at WR, so we need to look at ST. Thompson on ST was primarily a returner, and we have BC30 and TC29 that can do that. JB15 was primarily better at punt/kick coverage, and thus was more valuable on ST

5 hours ago, G08 said:

Thompson and Bellamy both only played 11% of the offensive snaps Monday Night. 

I hope this is Pace realizing he needs to see who clicks with Trubisky and who doesn't. I believe Bellamy's contract is up after this season so hopefully he's not back again unless it's strictly for special teams. 

I have to think Wheaton and Mcbride will be on the outside, Wright in the slot and Gentry providing depth. 

I hope they added Gentry to actually put him on the field more than that. Otherwise what’s the point? Wheaton has not done anything to justify being on the field at all. It doesn’t mean he won’t be because John Fox, but he shouldn’t be out there at this point. 

As for the subtraction of Thompson, I don’t really see any downside. He’s a pretty average returner in spite of having really good speed, we have other guys who can do a comparable job there, and as a receiver he didn’t add any more than McBride, but had less upside.  Really it’s a move that should’ve been made a few weeks ago. 

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

I hope they added Gentry to actually put him on the field more than that. Otherwise what’s the point? Wheaton has not done anything to justify being on the field at all. It doesn’t mean he won’t be because John Fox, but he shouldn’t be out there at this point. 

As for the subtraction of Thompson, I don’t really see any downside. He’s a pretty average returner in spite of having really good speed, we have other guys who can do a comparable job there, and as a receiver he didn’t add any more than McBride, but had less upside.  Really it’s a move that should’ve been made a few weeks ago. 

Makes a ton of sense to me, but I have to think they want to see what Wheaton can do before they realize he was a wasted signing. I think he's the only one that can legitimately take the top off a defense... maybe McBride if you look at his timed speed but it doesn't seem like he plays up to those numbers.

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, marshawn lynch said:

Just stopped to say thank you guys for Thompson... we desprately needed a speedy reciever. 

4 Targets 4 Catches 108 yards in less than a week of practice.

Lol at the guy that says Thompson sucks

xD it's one game dude...that's for stopping by.

Archived