Bears release WR Deonte Thompson

topwop1

5 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

And your point is?

That is was dumb to cut him. I think that is obvious by his posts. Now I'm not one to feed the trolls but he's got a good point. Our WR's are trash and the guy we cut just went 4 for 107. You have to somewhat question the Bears decision to cut him.

39 minutes ago, Pool said:

That is was dumb to cut him. I think that is obvious by his posts. Now I'm not one to feed the trolls but he's got a good point. Our WR's are trash and the guy we cut just went 4 for 107. You have to somewhat question the Bears decision to cut him.

After one game? No you don't...that's like saying Matt Schaub is the 2nd best QB of all time because he has the 2nd best single game passing record of all time...or that Big Ben should be cut because of that 5 INT game he had against Jacksonville this year...one game tells you nothing...

I would also point out Thompson went for 110 yards against GB last year...didn't hear anyone thinking he was elite after that either lol.

1 minute ago, Madmike90 said:

After one game? No you don't...that's like saying Matt Schaub is the 2nd best QB of all time because he has the 2nd best single game passing record of all time...or that Big Ben should be cut because of that 5 INT game he had against Jacksonville this year...one game tells you nothing...

I would also point out Thompson went for 110 yards against GB last year...didn't hear anyone thinking he was great after that lol.

When the guy you just cut has a better receiving performance on another team than any WR on our roster has had all year it makes you question the decision. Period. I'm not saying he is an all star or that this is some huge loss but you have to wonder why we kept a guy like Bellamy over him

1 minute ago, Pool said:

When the guy you just cut has a better receiving performance on another team than any WR on our roster has had all year it makes you question the decision. Period. I'm not saying he is an all star or that this is some huge loss but you have to wonder why we kept a guy like Bellamy over him

Considering the other factors you really shouldn't...highly doubtful he would have had anything like that kind of game had he still been here with Trubisky throwing 7 times compared to Taylor throwing it 33 times.

1 hour ago, Pool said:

Bellamy is better on special teams and gives John Fox lover-like treatment.

Seriously though he will come back to earth. Even Aromashodu had a game for about 150. Thompson was under-utilized but was 28 and nothing more than depth level talent and speed. He'll disappear and show out at times for that exact reason. With only 7 passing attempts we might as well use TEs out wide to help the running game though. Loggains has lost it.

Bellamy is the McManis of the offensive side of the ball.

When the secondary sucked the past few years, I didn’t hear anybody complaining that McManis should have been moved to make room for a better DB.

Thompson was a returner. That was the extent of his special teams value. Bellamy plays on all of the special teams units, and that locks him into a spot on the depth chart regardless of how anybody feels about him as a receiver.

And yeah, I know the “special teams isn’t as important as offense and we need receivers” replay is coming. Go back to the Baltimore game and try to explain how special teams doesn’t matter.

2 hours ago, IronMike84 said:

Bellamy is the McManis of the offensive side of the ball.

When the secondary sucked the past few years, I didn’t hear anybody complaining that McManis should have been moved to make room for a better DB.

Thompson was a returner. That was the extent of his special teams value. Bellamy plays on all of the special teams units, and that locks him into a spot on the depth chart regardless of how anybody feels about him as a receiver.

And yeah, I know the “special teams isn’t as important as offense and we need receivers” replay is coming. Go back to the Baltimore game and try to explain how special teams doesn’t matter.

Bellamy is not the ST player that McManis was/is, and with bad the WR position has been so far they really should be keeping the better WRs.

6 hours ago, IronMike84 said:

Go back to the Baltimore game and try to explain how special teams doesn’t matter.

Special teams is important but that game to me that also FURTHER verified how terrible Rodgers is as the special teams coordinator.

Bring everyone in to protect the punter. Punter gets the ball off. Everyone stays in the lane they're already in instead of spreading out and collapsing. What?!?!

At some point these guys need to have some sort of situational awareness, this shows just how unprepared they are. I am fully convinced Rodgers could have the Hester/Knox/Ayanbadejo/(starters like Tillman jumping in) and still lead a mediocre coverage group. He is the special teams version of John Fox - profoundly average at best but occasionally gets carried by talent to look better than he is.

50 minutes ago, Pool said:

He is going to come and go. He absolutely is better than Gentry, Bellamy, etc, but with this over-conservative offense it isn't hard to do better elsewhere. Don't be surprised to see another 1 catch game soon. He is a speedy WR who might make a long catch here and again, but can get shut out just as quickly.

Archived