Mortal Kombat - April 23rd

RamRod

On 5/4/2021 at 11:48 PM, NYRaider said:

The action scenes were cool but overall the story felt extremely rushed. I also think that the main characters entire story ark became 100% worthless after Scorpion somehow escaped hell to save the day anyways.  

Your points are certainly valid, but one of the worst movies youve ever seen?   

Movie is average at best, but that has to be hyperbole.   Go watch Mortal Kombat Annhilation if you want too see one of the worst movies ever...

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

OK, so Ive gone back and watched it again, and I want to just throw out some more detailed thoughts on top of my overall "it was a fun fighting movie, although its nothing special, Im looking forward to sequels" immediate takeaway

I will reiterate that it was quite the move to give us a Mortal Kombat movie, without a Mortal Kombat Tournament. And I really like that choice. It should have let us grow with these characters more, before we lose any of them. Except too much of that time was wasted on Cole (I will get to that later). And the other bold move was killing off so many huge names in this first film (even if we deep down know most of them will come back). These risks actually made the film more enjoyable for me, and kept me on my toes.

Some stuff that I understood why they did it, but didnt like as much were the Dragon Markings and the Arcanas. It feels so limiting that every fighter "has to" have a Dragon Marking, as you immediately write yourself into a corner. It would have been completely fine if they called out the markings as a sign you are being chosen as a defender, but maybe let Sonya buck that trend, prove she is just as good as the rest of most of the other fighters regardless of marking. It also completely telegraphs that she has to get one somehow, and we now know she will kill off Kano (they need to have the fight, but it would be better story telling if she overcomes the urge to kill him when he is completely beaten). And the need to give everyone an Arcana is yet another limiting factor. The best fighters, who have been training for years, having them makes sense, and their attempt to discover more is a cool montage. Jax's Arcana is completely absurd, many have pointed that out already, but he should have had his Arcana within him before he ever lost his arms. We dont actually get a reveal for Sonya's, she just suddenly has it as soon as she gets a marking. And while the Kano scene is one of the best in the movie, it didnt need to be an Arcana, its completely fine to be mechanical, which is where I would have gone (that also could have left him to discover some other actual Arcana, something like his Cannonball move). We had the set up for both Jax (Sub Zero freezing his arms off) and Kano (Reptile scratching out his Eye) for Sonya to say that they no longer have time to discover these Arcanas, and bring in the technology to assist them, especially after Shang Tsung tried to play dirty. She could use their Government contacts (dive a bit deeper into the idea of Special Forces) to get Jax's Arms, a replacement eye/plate for Kano (which Jax could rip out after Sonya defeats him, post betrayal) and her arm blasters for good measure. Maybe even something else for Cole to even the playing field for him against Goro.

So since I brought him up again, lets get into Cole. He is for sure the worst part of this film, but he didnt have to be. Lewis Tan did a fine job, but he just isnt charismatic enough to carry what they tried to pile on him. Side tangent; I actually think Tan would have been better as Lord Raiden, I respect the heck out of Asano, but he wasnt right for this role. Tan is a more imposing figure, his dry delivery would have played better as a God with much less to say than the Cole role. An on top of that, Raiden should have been the one to be explaining everything about the Tournament and the lore to our outsiders (this really hurt Sonya's character having to try to throw out that word salad to Cole and the audience). But as far as the Cole Young character, he would have been fine as just the fish out of water, nearly the entire time, along for the ride, with most of this being too much for him to handle. the choice of forcing him to become the leader, which is completely opposite of the character they built, felt wrong and made me dislike him immediately. Especially when he he is a bum of a fighter against other humans, the turn isnt earned even a little bit. They should have let him absolutely take a beating in that cage match, taking haymakers and body blows and acting like he barely feels it. Then actually make him go for that "famous uppercut" that he won the belt with, but he does it so wildly, and thats what costs him the match being out of control and easily slipped into a hold that he has to tap from. That way the "shell armor" that he gets as an Arcana later actually makes sense, and even that power up punch from taking the blows. 

Speaking of that fight, it is absolutely ridiculous that Cole Young, who gets whooped by an average joe in some rinky dink gym fight, kills off Prince Goro. I hate it, so much. First off, I would have pushed this fight to the end of the montage where they are taking out Shang Tsungs warriors, he is the most imposing threat there is (I guess outside of the way they set up Sub Zero). The way that should have gone is when he is back with his family, he takes with him some sort of military weapon/technology that Sonya brings him. He first uses that to buy some time for his family, but then Goro breaks it with ease once he gets his hands on it. That is when his Arcana comes in, and while yes he has body armor, thats what it is, he just continues to take blows from Goro, even getting rag dolled all over the place but never getting hurt. Buying just enough time so Liu Kang and Kung Lau can show up and they fight Goro 3-on-1. If you kill off Goro in that fashion then fine, but even then, I would have probably stopped at just slicing off a hand/arm. That way in the sequel, he can have a claw/hook, club/mace or even shadow hand if you wanted to go that way. But instead of using Kung Lau as the one to get his soul sucked by Shang Tsung, I would have had Goro be the one to rip him apart. Again, I like the balls it took to kill off such a popular game character, but this way gets another finishing move in there, and gives Liu Kang more motivation into the sequel. As far as the Tsung soul suck, I would have thrown one more character in this mix, Bo Rai Cho. They had Liu name drop him (actually would have been a good option for Asano) as their mentor, and would have been a great extra character trying to train the new Earthrealm defenders. Ultimately having him "step in front of the bullet" for Liu Kang and Kung Lau would have been much better than the abrupt death for Kung that we got. It also would have let Kung Lau stick around for just a bit longer, in order to be the rightful leader of the group to formulate the final plan (which was cool, but rushed). Im just looking at earning all these deaths just a bit more, and setting up motivations in the sequel.

I havent touched on Scorpion v Sub Zero yet, and thats because I really like most of what they did. The one big issue I had also ties back to Cole, the obvious ancestor/bloodline thing really was lame. I think we all theorized about Cole so much because we wanted him to be some cooler character, even though deep down we always knew the outcome. I think its just a giant missed opportunity, as the basic "protect the bloodline" story is played out, and doesnt do much for me anymore. I would have gone with a Kenshi/Takeda route, could have played it very similar to what they did, but maybe the surviving child that Raiden finds is actually Kenshi's, who is actually a high ranking member in the Shirai Ryu (for this storyline) and is almost like a brother to Hanzo, who was protecting them while Kenshi was off on a mission (likely revenge for the mother) and this way you make the Cole Young character actually Kenshi's bloodline, and its even more a point of Honor/ a burden of shame that Hanzo as Scorpion has been protecting the lineage of the final surviving Shirai Ryu. This simple change does alot of things, obviously brings in another good lore character in Kenshi, but also ties him and now Cole deeper into the fight with Shang Tsung. It also opens up some flashback/historical stories with Hanzo and Kenshi. And even depending on how you want to tell the Kenshi/Tekada backstory, you have the connection with Kano/Kabal and the Black/Red Dragon. I know its VERY similar to what they did, but that shows how much one little tweak could completely change the complexion of the entire story, and the perception the fans have of how much effort you put into something they have an affinity for.

Ill say it again, I really enjoyed this movie, even the second time through. And while I just wrote a whole lot of words, its not actually all that big of tweaks to what they gave to us. I know Im biased here, but I think these changes (atleast a few of them) takes this from a fun time, to a good-very good movie, and has everyone very excited for more sequels.

Edited by StLunatic88
  • Like 3

59 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

OK, so Ive gone back and watched it again, and I want to just throw out some more detailed thoughts on top of my overall "it was a fun fighting movie, although its nothing special, Im looking forward to sequels" immediate takeaway

I will reiterate that it was quite the move to give us a Mortal Kombat movie, without a Mortal Kombat Tournament. And I really like that choice. It should have let us grow with these characters more, before we lose any of them. Except too much of that time was wasted on Cole (I will get to that later). And the other bold move was killing off so many huge names in this first film (even if we deep down know most of them will come back). These risks actually made the film more enjoyable for me, and kept me on my toes.

Some stuff that I understood why they did it, but didnt like as much were the Dragon Markings and the Arcanas. It feels so limiting that every fighter "has to" have a Dragon Marking, as you immediately write yourself into a corner. It would have been completely fine if they called out the markings as a sign you are being chosen as a defender, but maybe let Sonya buck that trend, prove she is just as good as the rest of most of the other fighters regardless of marking. It also completely telegraphs that she has to get one somehow, and we now know she will kill off Kano (they need to have the fight, but it would be better story telling if she overcomes the urge to kill him when he is completely beaten). And the need to give everyone an Arcana is yet another limiting factor. The best fighters, who have been training for year, having them makes sense, and their attempt to discover more is a cool montage. Jax's Arcana is completely absurd, many have pointed that out already, but he should have had his Arcana within him before he ever lost his arms. We dont actually get a reveal for Sonya's, she just suddenly has it as soon as she gets a marking. And while the Kano scene is one of the best in the movie, it didnt need to be an Arcana, its completely fine to be mechanical, which is where I would have gone (that also could have left him to discover some other actual Arcana, something like his Cannonball move). We had the set up for both Jax (Sub Zero freezing his arms off) and Kano (Reptile scratching out his Eye) for Sonya to say that they no longer have time to discover these Arcanas, and bring in the technology to assist them, especially after Shang Tsung tried to play dirty. She could use their Government contacts (dive a bit deeper into the idea of Special Forces) to get Jax's Arms, a replacement eye/plate for Kano (which Jax could rip out after Sonya defeats him, post betrayal) and her arm blasters for good measure. Maybe even something else for Cole to even the playing field for him against Goro.

So since I brought him up again, lets get into Cole. He is for sure the worst part of this film, but he didnt have to be. Lewis Tan did a fine job, but he just isnt charismatic enough to carry what they tried to pile on him. Side tangent; I actually think Tan would have been better as Lord Raiden, I respect the heck out of Asano, but he wasnt right for this role. Tan is a more imposing figure, his dry delivery would have played better as a God with much less to say than the Cole role. An on top of that, Raiden should have been the one to be explaining everything about the Tournament and the lore to our outsiders (this really hurt Sonya's character having to try to throw out that word salad to Cole and the audience). But as far as the Cole Young character, he would have been fine as just the fish out of water, nearly the entire time, along for the ride, with most of this being too much for him to handle. the choice of forcing him to become the leader, which is completely opposite of the character they built, felt wrong and made me dislike him immediately. Especially when he he is a bum of a fighter against other humans, the turn isnt earned even a little bit. They should have let him absolutely take a beating in that cage match, taking haymakers and body blows and acting like he barely feels it. Then actually make him go for that "famous uppercut" that he won the belt with, but he does it so wildly, and thats what costs him the match being out of control and easily slipped into a hold that he has to tap from. That way the "shell armor" that he gets as an Arcana later actually makes sense, and even that power up punch from taking the blows. 

Speaking of that fight, it is absolutely ridiculous that Cole Young, who gets whooped by an average joe in some rinky dink gym fight, kills off Prince Goro. I hate it, so much. First off, I would have pushed this fight to the end of the montage where they are taking out Shang Tsungs warriors, he is the most imposing threat there is (I guess outside of the way they set up Sub Zero). The way that should have gone is when he is back with his family, he takes with him some sort of military weapon/technology that Sonya brings him. He first uses that to buy some time for his family, but then Goro breaks it with ease once he gets his hands on it. That is when his Arcana comes in, and while yes he has body armor, thats what it is, he just continues to take blows from Goro, even getting rag dolled all over the place but never getting hurt. Buying just enough time so Liu Kang and Kung Lau can show up and they fight Goro 3-on-1. If you kill off Goro in that fashion then fine, but even then, I would have probably stopped at just slicing off a hand/arm. That way in the sequel, he can have a claw/hook, club/mace or even shadow hand if you wanted to go that way. But instead of using Kung Lau as the one to get his soul sucked by Shang Tsung, I would have had Goro be the one to rip him apart. Again, I like the balls it took to kill off such a popular game character, but this way gets another finishing move in there, and gives Liu Kang more motivation into the sequel. As far as the Tsung soul suck, I would have thrown one more character in this mix, Bo Rai Cho. They had Liu name drop him (actually would have been a good option for Asano) as their mentor, and would have been a great extra character trying to train the new Earthrealm defenders. Ultimately having him "step in front of the bullet" for Liu Kang and Kung Lau would have been much better than the abrupt death for Kung that we got. It also would have let Kung Lau stick around for just a bit longer, in order to be the rightful leader of the group to formulate the final plan (which was cool, but rushed). Im just looking at earning all these deaths just a bit more, and setting up motivations in the sequel.

I havent touched on Scorpion v Sub Zero yet, and thats because I really like most of what they did. The one big issue I had also ties back to Cole, the obvious ancestor/bloodline thing really was lame. I think we all theorized about Cole so much because we wanted him to be some cooler character, even though deep down we always knew the outcome. I think its just a giant missed opportunity, as the basic "protect the bloodline" story is played out, and doesnt do much for me anymore. I would have gone with a Kenshi/Takeda route, could have played it very similar to what they did, but maybe the surviving child that Raiden finds is actually Kenshi's, who is actually a high ranking member in the Shirai Ryu (for this storyline) and is almost like a brother to Hanzo, who was protecting them while Kenshi was off on a mission (likely revenge for the mother) and this way you make the Cole Young character actually Kenshi's bloodline, and its even more a point of Honor/ a burden of shame that Hanzo as Scorpion has been protecting the lineage of the final surviving Shirai Ryu. This simple change does alot of things, obviously brings in another good lore character in Kenshi, but also ties him and now Cole deeper into the fight with Shang Tsung. It also opens up some flashback/historical stories with Hanzo and Kenshi. And even depending on how you want to tell the Kenshi/Tekada backstory, you have the connection with Kano/Kabal and the Black/Red Dragon. I know its VERY similar to what they did, but that shows how much one little tweak could completely change the complexion of the entire story, and the perception the fans have of how much effort you put into something they have an affinity for.

Ill say it again, I really enjoyed this movie, even the second time through. And while I just wrote a whole lit of words, its not actually all that big of tweaks to what they gave to us. I know Im biased here, but I think these changes (atleast a few of them) takes this from a fun time, to a good-very good movie, and has everyone very excited for more sequels.

I didnt read this. I liked it, because damn, but I did not read it. 

• Like 2

On 5/17/2021 at 5:02 PM, StLunatic88 said:

I have no issue with there being no tourney.   This movie was clearly meant to set up the future of the franchise, and as mentioned, you dont need a tourney in EVERY movie.  

There are so many big names in MK that I have no issue with killing off several characters.   I just wasnt a fan of how some of those kills happened.     Kung Lao's death IMO shouldve waited until the 2nd movie.   I wish they wouldve continued to develop the familial relationship between Kung Lao and Liu Kang.   it wouldve gave Kung Lao's eventual death much more weight.

Some stuff that I understood why they did it, but didnt like as much were the Dragon Markings and the Arcanas. It feels so limiting that every fighter "has to" have a Dragon Marking, as you immediately write yourself into a corner.

I liked the idea of the dragon markings being linked to powers....but its execution was incredibly flawed.

I wouldnt have minded a different idea being implemented, but I think that idea COULD HAVE worked if done better.

Jax's Arcana is completely absurd, many have pointed that out already, but he should have had his Arcana within him before he ever lost his arms.

Agreed.   

I feel like he shouldve had a different power, and his arms were surgically altered to the full metal arms he got.

It wouldve been better IMO if he was a liability in this film after he got the first dinky set of arms, and then in the sequel, he came back with the full metal arms.

That part felt like silly child fanfiction...but thats modern day WB for ya.

We dont actually get a reveal for Sonya's, she just suddenly has it as soon as she gets a marking. And while the Kano scene is one of the best in the movie, it didnt need to be an Arcana, its completely fine to be mechanical, which is where I would have gone (that also could have left him to discover some other actual Arcana, something like his Cannonball move). We had the set up for both Jax (Sub Zero freezing his arms off) and Kano (Reptile scratching out his Eye) for Sonya to say that they no longer have time to discover these Arcanas, and bring in the technology to assist them, especially after Shang Tsung tried to play dirty. She could use their Government contacts (dive a bit deeper into the idea of Special Forces) to get Jax's Arms, a replacement eye/plate for Kano (which Jax could rip out after Sonya defeats him, post betrayal) and her arm blasters for good measure. Maybe even something else for Cole to even the playing field for him against Goro.

I agree with all of this.

Meh.

I just wish he wasnt part of the movie.

Completely unnecessary.    His lineage with Scorpion was so poorly developed and didnt even need to happen.

Even if they wanted to save Johnny Cage (which they didnt need to do), they couldve just had the movie follow Sonya, Jax and Kano and had them eventually meet up with Liu Kang, Kano and Kung Lao.

The development of these characters felt so rushed, and if you took out all the Cole garbage (he was boring, his family was boring, his story and relation to Scorpion ultimately meant nothing), you couldve developed the other characters better.   

Ill say it again, I really enjoyed this movie, even the second time through. And while I just wrote a whole lot of words, its not actually all that big of tweaks to what they gave to us. I know Im biased here, but I think these changes (atleast a few of them) takes this from a fun time, to a good-very good movie, and has everyone very excited for more sequels.

Funny enough....MK had the same issues as the DCEU....

1) Rushed story and character development
2) Unnecessary changes that dont really pay off
3) Horrid dialogue and interactions

I said it before and Ill say it again...they shouldve made this a HBO Max series....not a movie.   Hell, it didnt even feel like a movie.    It felt closer to a webseries in most parts.  

The MK universe is vast and to tell a proper story, you need more than just a few movies.    If they wouldve given this 8, hour long episodes with a decent budget, it couldve been so much better....especially when trying to develop a new character like Cole Young.      I wish that wasnt part of it regardless....but if it was a TV show with more time, you couldve possibly fleshed him out more and why his lineage to Scorpion even matters.

Honestly, I think it wouldve been better to have Cole Young be the ancestor of Bi-Han/Sub Zero and have Shang Tsung and Sub Zero attempting to recruit him rather than kill him.    Cole Young's birth name couldve been Kuai Liang, who is Sub Zero's brother in MK.    Scorpion could go after Cole in an attempt to lure out Sub Zero, and once he learns of what Bi Han did to Scorpions familiy, he helps Scorpion defeat him, and it ends with Scorpion essentially telling Cole that he still has the blood of the Lin Kuei and that he will be watching him.

Like I said....I would do away with the Cole Young character altogether....but a few tweaks couldve made him and his story better. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RavensTillIDie said:

The Xbox one? I liked it, but yeah it definitely wasn't the same as the original.

Yep felt the same way. Also what was the point of that reboot they only made one game (2013) it’s been 8 years lol.

Edited by Blackstar12
  • Like 1

On 5/21/2021 at 1:14 PM, Blackstar12 said:

Yep felt the same way. Also what was the point of that reboot they only made one game (2013) it’s been 8 years lol.

Probably didnt do well enough financially to justify making another.

Fighting games arent as popular as they once were, and I think it would take something special to really stand out and gain a following.

The OG Killer Instict was awesome, but they couldn't capitalize on it.    It happens.