Mortal Kombat - April 23rd

RamRod

Much better than the ’95 and ’98 movies as a video game movie adaptation but still fell short of expectations. Trying too hard to appease non-video game fans. Despite being fighting games, the MK series actually have decent stories which could’ve been adapted easily to film. Good fan service nonetheless with powers, animalities, and fatalies. The character of Cole was an annoying framing device and the selection of characters was a bold risk if a sequel never gets greenlit. And I hate that it makes me root for Scorpion over Sub Zero. Needless to say, Josh Lawson far and away was the highlight of this movie.

• Like 2

i take back every negative feeling i had about this.

they nailed it

absolutely loved it from beginning to end

especially when

Spoiler

kano kept getting the leg sweep from that basterd. we have all been there

it was glorious, and i want the same people to now make Street Fighter.

loved it loved it.

beautiful movie

• Like 2

Literally everything outside of Scorpion & Sub-Zero was terrible. Like I was mildly optimistic after the initial trailers, but boy was that a bad movie. And not even the so bad it's good type , just straight up bad. The acting, the fighting/choreography, the actors, the choice of characters, the pacing, the story, it was all garbage. The one thing the original movies got right was showcasing the 1-on-1 fight sequences without panning the camera between various fights. I don't understand how the underlying story between Scorpion & Sub-Zero could be so well written and the rest of the movie be so terrible. It's like they had two completely different sets of people working on it. How freaking hard is it to make a halfway decent MK movie when you have actually well thought out storylines to work with from the game? 

Thoughts as I watch because it isn't keeping my full attention:

• They keep jumping into these types of movies like everyone knows whats happening. Maybe tell a good story so it isn't just the diehards that can follow along and you'll get yourself a franchise.
  • Not a fan of what's his name as Shang Tsung. Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa from the original pulled it off way better imo.
  • I was really hoping this was more than a cheesy action movie, but here we are.
  • Apparently Sub Zero is psychic, can fast travel, and knows what alley to they're driving to, in a city he likely doesn't know, on a planet in another realm. Neat.
  • The Jax/Sub Zero fight wasn't nearly as good as it could have been. They never should have shown that in the trailer. Would have best been left as a surprise. Also apparently Jax can fall face first onto concrete and rebar, bounce off, and survive.
  • Acting is pretty weak.
  • Sonya explaining Mortal Kombat was weak af. Not believable that they'd just discover all that.
  • So the tattoos are tracking devices or is there another reason that everyone is found so quickly?
  • Why tf would you jump out of an airplane with zero training non-tandem and also land 30 km out? That's ~18.5 miles. You jump out so you can spend an entire day walking in a mountain/desert area with no shade or supplies?
  • Raiden is cheesy af. Not the direction I would have gone with.
  • How convenient that people without tools or anything really shown can put mechanical arms on someone.
  • I think it would've been better if we thought Cole was just a regular guy throughout, not the bloodline of Scorpion.
  • General Reiko looks terrible imo.
  • Kabal looked good but I hate the personality and he talks way too much.
  • HOLY ISH THAT KUNG LAO/NITARA FATALITY
  • Definitely didn't see that coming for Goro
  • lolwut. Jax's power was to grow bigger mechanical arms? What if he never lost them?
  • Ok, I thought Cole was going to become Scorpion. Instead he's Baraka or maybe some rando with Baraka like qualities?
  • Mileena may be the most well done character in this.
  • Why is Cole punching his frozen family when Sub Zero is still there and a threat?
  • Cole, an orphan from Chicago, just happened to understand the Japanese that Scorpion was speaking?
  • Hold up. Raiden just sent Shang Tsung back to Outworld with his lightning. Why not do that in the first place and avoid Kung Lao's death plus everything else? That isn't interfering in the tournament, it'd actually be saving the tournament.
  • So is the tournament still on or nah?

I'm gonna say it. I think the original movie is better.  This version was just a way to show the characters, violent fatalities, and make some cash. I was really hoping for more. If there's a sequel I won't waste my time.

• Like 1