Kam Curl vs. Jeremy Chinn

turtle28

Curl has been amazing!! The last mock I did last year had Curl in the 6th and Gibson in the 3rd and I got us Tyler Johnson over AGG. But Chinn was almost avalible for our Gibson pick but we doubled down on the hybrid players with Hudson and Curl and Curl flashed. Last year I was in love with Chinn and Simmons with expectations of getting neither. But last year there were about 8 players like this and we landed 2 of the ones I thought would be under drafted. Today’s game you need these guys!!! You don’t want them to attack Derrick Henry head up but very few teams have realized that power O is hard to stop when teams are building great nickel defenses. But that’s why I value size up front and at LB. But in today’s NFL your safeties all need to be hybrid type players.
As I mentioned when talking about Paris Ford your FS should have almost done CB skills and your SS needs to be able to have a slot CB skill set to go with their tackling and pursuit. Curl gave us that. Chinn is the prototype for a SS and that’s why I was pounding that first round table for him. But Curl man watching him on the back end of Arkansas seeing him line up outside and in the slot you knew he could do it. But he improved his angles and tackling here both coachable traits and we struck gold. I’m very excited for the fact we’re looking for guys who are interchangeable. It started with Keyshon Jarrett then Kendal Fuller then Jimmy Mo now Curl and Hudson. When you draft big fast guys on the DL and you find big physical LB’s to clog up run lanes and can get to the sideline you can really get crative with these guys on the back end. It’s the Scot/ Seattle/ GB Ted Thompson models on defense. Get athletic guys who clearly can be coached as they line up in multiple spots and let them fill whatever hole that you have that day. A name to watch in the back half of the draft this year is Mizzu’s Bledsoe. S/ nickel CB. This guys name will be mentioned next year at some point because he’s going to be a steal.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, taylor made said:

Funny how our defense started to improve once Landon got injured... You can't help but love the way Curl plays. He's one of my favorites on defense this year.

Don’t forget also what happened to make our defense better was Apke was benched in favor of Everrett (which I’ve said for 3 years that Everrett should be given a chance to start at FS if/when Nicholson played poorly) and Holcomb returned from injury.

I think it’s more those two moves rather than JUST Curl replacing Collins, but Curl has also been great. I mean I just can’t sit here and say that Landon Collins wouldn’t have the same production that Kam has had this year if he hadn’t gotten hurt - which is why I want Collins to be our starting WLB next year because I think the two of them together will be awesome for our defense.

Collin 2019 stats: 

117 tackles (78 solo tackles), 4 pass defensed, 2 forced fumbles, 1 sack, 9 tackles for loss, 3 QB hits

Edited by turtle28

46 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Collin 2019 stats: 

117 tackles (78 solo tackles), 4 pass defensed, 2 forced fumbles, 1 sack, 9 tackles for loss, 3 QB hits

You forgot the 16 missed tackles. He's an overpriced backup at this point in his career. Can't wait for players like him to be off the team.

Edited by taylor made

29 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Don’t forget also what happened to make our defense better was Apke was benched in favor of Everrett (which I’ve said for 3 years that Everrett should be given a chance to start at FS if/when Nicholson played poorly) and Holcomb returned from injury.

I think it’s more those two moves rather than JUST Curl replacing Collins, but Curl has also been great. I mean I just can’t sit here and say that Landon Collins wouldn’t have the same production that Kam has had this year if he hadn’t gotten hurt - which is why I want Collins to be our starting WLB next year because I think the two of them together will be awesome for our defense.

Collin 2019 stats: 

13 minutes ago, taylor made said:

You forgot the 17 missed tackles. He's an overpriced backup at this point in his career. Can't wait for players like him to be off the team.

With the emergence of K Curl and the back loaded contract of Collins, I think they can try to play him at LB. It can’t hurt since he’s been a liability at SS. Worth a shot being that LB is a need. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, taylor made said:

You forgot the 17 missed tackles. He's an overpriced backup at this point in his career. Can't wait for players like him to be off the team.

Well certainly that was awful but looking over his career that seems to be an aberration and could be somewhat of a result of the awful LB play infront of him for the first month of the season. 

Our LBs didn’t play well at all the first month of the season which, put a lot of pressure on Collins to make a lot of tackles he frankly shouldn’t have had to make.

You don’t want your SS being your leading tackler yet, Collins was last year and he was this year before his injury I believe.

He’s already on the team. I think it makes much more sense to move him to WLB and let KPL walk in FA w/ Hudson backing up Collins than it does to have to go out and draft or sign another player to start at WLB.

He’s already on the team, just move him closer to the line of scrimmage where he is better and like I’ve wanted to do since February when we first found out for sure we’d be moving to the 4-3.

3 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Well certainly that was awful but looking over his career that seems to be an aberration and could be somewhat of a result of the awful LB play infront of him for the first month of the season. 

Our LBs didn’t play well at all the first month of the season which, put a lot of pressure on Collins to make a lot of tackles he frankly shouldn’t have had to make.

You don’t want your SS being your leading tackler yet, Collins was last year and he was this year before his injury I believe.

He’s already on the team. I think it makes much more sense to move him to WLB and let KPL walk in FA w/ Hudson backing up Collins than it does to have to go out and draft or sign another player to start at WLB.

He’s already on the team, just move him closer to the line of scrimmage where he is better and like I’ve wanted to do since February when we first found out for sure we’d be moving to the 4-3.

I'm not buying it. Collins actually had a worse tackle % this year. 9 missed tackles in about as half as many games. You can move him to WLB but those translations are rare in the NFL and he is coming off a serious injury. He might be able to do that with another team ala Mark Barron but due to contract I don't really see him on the team after 2021.

1 hour ago, taylor made said:

I'm not buying it. Collins actually had a worse tackle % this year. 9 missed tackles in about as half as many games. You can move him to WLB but those translations are rare in the NFL and he is coming off a serious injury. He might be able to do that with another team ala Mark Barron but due to contract I don't really see him on the team after 2021.

Again, an aberration, no? And you don’t think Collins was asked to make more tackles then he should’ve been asked to make as a safety because our DL & LBs struggled the first month of the season with their run fits?

Rivera talked about that constantly the first half of the season and until our front 7 got their run fits issue fixed our D didn’t take off either. 

I remember how all of us were talking about how bad our run D was the first half of the year despite our pass D being good. That was because our front 7 wasn’t doing their jobs correctly and when that happens that puts a lot of pressure on your safeties to come up and make tackles. Our run D was ranked in the 20s the first half of the season but once we got that fixed our D has taken off.

Now I totally agree that Collins want playing up to his standards the first month of the season but, when you put that all into perspective, you realize that neither was our front 7 on defense and because of that it puts a lot of pressure on our safeties.

It all works together.

Edited by turtle28

26 minutes ago, offbyone said:

I thought you guys only care about draft picks in the top 10 of first round?  So does this mean the draft can still be successful if you don't have a top pick?  Hmmmmm....

I realize this is tongue and cheek but, the best chance you have to get a better player is to have the highest pick possible. And yes, everyone in this forum cares about every single selection we make in the draft we talk about the draft - all 7 rounds, FA & UDFA - and nausea for months leading up to FA & the draft and years after the players are signed or drafted. Everyone in this forum wants every single draft pick to work out an be a starter and sometimes people even believe that draft pick should be starting over the starter just bc the young draft pick has potential where the veteran starring infront of him is what he is.

28 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I realize this is tongue and cheek but, the best chance you have to get a better player is to have the highest pick possible. And yes, everyone in this forum cares about every single selection we make in the draft we talk about the draft - all 7 rounds, FA & UDFA - and nausea for months leading up to FA & the draft and years after the players are signed or drafted. Everyone in this forum wants every single draft pick to work out an be a starter and sometimes people even believe that draft pick should be starting over the starter just bc the young draft pick has potential where the veteran starring infront of him is what he is.

I am pretty sure if we get a top 10 pick that everyone wants we are just going to force one of these project qbs and burn a couple years waiting for him to fail.  This obsession with the draft position is hard for me to understand.  The obsession should be how successful we are with our picks, not the position of our picks.  

#22 Justin Jefferson
#25 Brandon Aiyik
#28 Patrick Queen

The teams would have been happy to have used a top half of draft pick.  The obsession with the top spots just means you have no faith in your scouting department.