Playoffs - Cleveland at Kansas City

onejayhawk

This thread is early, but there is playoff relevant news. The NFL has approved greatly expanded use of the Practice Squad. This is something the Chiefs have used to advantage this season. One most obvious use would be elevate DeAndre Baker in week #17. Under the old rule, he would be out of chances. This continues through postseason.

The NFL Management Council and NFLPA agreed to unlimited practice-squad elevations without a player having to clear waivers during the 2020 postseason, per source.
https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2020/12/30/nfl-unlimited-practice-squad-elevations-kansas-city-chiefs-outlook/

J

Edited by onejayhawk
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, onejayhawk said:

I would say that they knew about the possibility. Also, I think there are provisions protecting a activated player from claims. If anyone knows, please post specifics. 

Whatever the specifics, the Chiefs have been ahead of the league on utilizing this rule. 

J

Teams can protect 4 PS players per week from other teams' claims. Those players must be nominated on Tuesdays before 4 PM ET. While most teams use this option week in, week out, Chiefs only used it once or twice. There's no limit on how often a player can be protected.

If you’re high on DeAndre Baker.  Perhaps the best news is that he won’t be accrue a season towards FA this year.    Chiefs still hold his rights for the next 2 years without interference,  if they wish to do so. 

2021: ERFA
2022: RFA

The OL has been an ongoing issue this season. Here is an article on some of the likely adjustments for post season. 
https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2020/12/31/22207982/what-to-expect-from-the-chiefs-offensive-line-in-the-weeks-to-come

Among Chiefs fans and observers, it has become an article of faith the team needs a very good offensive line to protect Mahomes; back in May, I joked on Twitter that the line should hereafter be called “the Department of Mahomeland Security.” But, it’s not entirely clear that the Chiefs don’t already believe they have a line that can at least adequately protect their superstar quarterback.

It might surprise you to learn that according to Pro Football Focus statistics — and let’s be clear: these are statistics, not grades — the Chiefs have allowed just 140 total pressures on 662 dropbacks. That’s good for an efficiency rate of 88.7, which ranks sixth-best in the league behind the Green Bay Packers, Cleveland Browns, Arizona Cardinals, Pittsburgh Steelers and Los Angeles Rams.

Reiter was singled out as playing very well. Other players, not so much. The conclusion:

[F]or better or worse, the Chiefs will probably ride this line through the postseason.

4 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

the Chiefs have allowed just 140 total pressures on 662 dropbacks. That’s good for an efficiency rate of 88.7, which ranks sixth-best in the league behind the Green Bay Packers, Cleveland Browns, Arizona Cardinals, Pittsburgh Steelers and Los Angeles Rams.

I think this is a testament to PMII's ability to scramble than a shout out to our Oline.

I'll believe my lie'n eyes regarding needs on the Oline

[F]or better or worse, the Chiefs will probably ride this line through the postseason.

Is there any choice really?

Edited by mayanfootball
  • Like 1

I don’t really see Baker getting any reps, sans injury.   We have 2 CB’s playing very well,   Along with Ward being solid.   Fenton is hardly getting any snaps and he’s been solid as well.     No use messing with the chemistry of our best unit on D,  unless injuries happen

24 minutes ago, mayanfootball said:

I think this is a testament to PMII's ability to scramble than a shout out to our Oline.

I'll believe my lie'n eyes regarding needs on the Oline

Is there any choice really?

It's lyin' eyes. Fair enough, but remember that we already invested a premium pick in Lucas Niang. That's a top 50 player who had an injury. Here is TDN's summary

Summary - Lucas Niang is a high-upside starter in the NFL. Niang's mobility would make him a great fit in a zone style system and his length and range as a pass blocker make him an attractive option for teams with deeper passing concepts. There is some refinement needed in Niang's footwork but he shows all the requisite physical skills to be a plus starter in the pros.

Allegretti has proven his value. Yasir Durant has seen the field. Remmer has been pretty decent. We are beaten up, not D O A. As you say, we have the hand we were dealt. Hopefully, three weeks will make a difference in one or more of them.

17 minutes ago, samsel23 said:

I don’t really see Baker getting any reps, sans injury.   We have 2 CB’s playing very well,   Along with Ward being solid.   Fenton is hardly getting any snaps and he’s been solid as well.     No use messing with the chemistry of our best unit on D,  unless injuries happen

I think the opposite. Ward and Breeland have played 100%. Give them some time off and let Keyes, Fenton and Baker play. 

J

Edited by onejayhawk

10 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

I think the opposite. Ward and Breeland have played 100%. Give them some time off and let Keyes, Fenton and Baker play. 

J

In the playoffs?  Definitely agree for this week.  Was more talking about what Baker could provide in the playoffs,  I’m not even sure I’d put him above Breeland, Ward, Sneed, or Fenton If he balls out this week.   Sure if one gets injured, but no reason to mess with the rotation if they all are playing well above him.  

18 minutes ago, samsel23 said:

In the playoffs?  Definitely agree for this week.  Was more talking about what Baker could provide in the playoffs,  I’m not even sure I’d put him above Breeland, Ward, Sneed, or Fenton If he balls out this week.   Sure if one gets injured, but no reason to mess with the rotation if they all are playing well above him.  

Yes, this week.

In the playoffs, I expect the trio to play 90% or more of the CB snaps. I'm hoping Baker is able to assist on ST and maybe in dime coverage.

J

pretty good video on our recent struggles despite the winning streak. Home run hitters that strike out a lot sounds about right.

Hopefully Patrick cleans up the drifting to far back thing with this three weeks off. although at this point that’s probably not happening. 

It is true that PM's deep drop mean that the OL have more space to cover, but it also gives Mahomes more room to maneuver. Still, I foresee some tweaking in the coming weeks and the offseason. If nothing else, shorter drops work with shorter passes and we have guys that can do that. 

J