Playoffs - Cleveland at Kansas City

onejayhawk

1 hour ago, BigTrav said:

Do you think Fisher will need replacing soon? Should we be looking at major prospects on the OL for first round consideration?

...two different questions, I guess

I'd definitely look at the inside OL. Not necessarily 1st round, but definitely on day two. Outside they have Niang waiting in the wings. Rankin may provide depth. And both Fisher and Schwartz have a year left on their contracts.

Edited by KC_Guy

Not just IOL, specifically C. It comes down to how much Reiter wants. He's not cheap, but he is rating in the top ten. Several posters here would not agree, but clearly the staff prefers him to Kilgore. We drafted a plug and play successfully once, but not so successfully the second time. Other than that, we also need to look at returning players like Rankin and LDT, maybe Osemele.

J

17 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

Not just IOL, specifically C. It comes down to how much Reiter wants. He's not cheap, but he is rating in the top ten. Several posters here would not agree, but clearly the staff prefers him to Kilgore. We drafted a plug and play successfully once, but not so successfully the second time. Other than that, we also need to look at returning players like Rankin and LDT, maybe Osemele.

J

Said it before - I have a hard time to believe LDT will return.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KC_Guy said:

Said it before - I have a hard time to believe LDT will return.

That is entirely possible, but it is just one factor in the mix.

We have promising young players in Allegretti and Durant. We have potentially returning players in Schwartz, Niang, LDT, Rankin, Osemele. We have potentially re-signable players in Kilgore and Reiter. We have developmental players in Williams and Witzman. All of these issues must be weighed before we commit major resources to new OL personnel.

J

Edited by onejayhawk

2 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

maybe Osemele.

Not with both knees damaged.

I watched Ohio St. last night. Needed to see Wyatt Davis. Frankly I came away unimpressed. What I saw was bad angles on block attempts, missed blocks, letting his man get around him on pass attempts. He was stood up constantly where his strength finally redeemed him. Maybe it was just a bad game. But i'm not so inclined to be fervent in his support.

Edited by mayanfootball

Chiefs currently have 52 players on the active roster. What to do for the playoffs?

1. Hitchens is coming back from Res-Covid, taking the 53rd slot.

2. Schwartz and DOD should probably be available from IR - but who to cut?

I'd go with Dieter - if he's picked off waivers - so be it. He's a fringe NFL player, at least for a team as deep at WR as the Chiefs. The other one would be one of the old farts on the OL: Kilgore or Wisniewski. Pretty sure noone would pick them up, and if needed they would be ready to come back immediately. Would even pay them an appartment for the playoff period to keep them around.

Wouldn't like to expose any of the young guys on the roster to waivers now (albeit, I'm not sure how that procedure works during the playoffs). 

Edited by KC_Guy

26 minutes ago, KC_Guy said:

Chiefs currently have 52 players on the active roster. What to do for the playoffs?

1. Hitchens is coming back from Res-Covid, taking the 53rd slot.

2. Schwartz and DOD should probably be available from IR - but who to cut?

I'd go with Dieter - if he's picked off waivers - so be it. He's a fringe NFL player, at least for a team as deep at WR as the Chiefs. The other one would be one of the old farts on the OL: Kilgore or Wisniewski. Pretty sure noone would pick them up, and if needed they would be ready to come back immediately. Would even pay them an appartment for the playoff period to keep them around.

Wouldn't like to expose any of the young guys on the roster to waivers now (albeit, I'm not sure how that procedure works during the playoffs). 

The way Reid has been speaking,     I don't think Schwartz will be available for the playoffs.     I sure hope so,  but unless something has happened in the past few days..  it didn't sound promising.

On 1/2/2021 at 9:37 AM, onejayhawk said:

That is entirely possible, but it is just one factor in the mix.

We have promising young players in Allegretti and Durant. We have potentially returning players in Schwartz, Niang, LDT, Rankin, Osemele. We have potentially re-signable players in Kilgore and Reiter. We have developmental players in Williams and Witzman. All of these issues must be weighed before we commit major resources to new OL personnel.

J

Allegretti, Niang, and possibly Rankin  are the only ones I'd considered promising.     The rest are guys we can "get by" with since Mahomes helps them out.    It's way overdue to put some resources into this OL,  not cast offs from other teams.   Our 7-8 minute offense with a lead desperately needs a better OL.

On 1/2/2021 at 2:23 AM, BigTrav said:

Do you think Fisher will need replacing soon? Should we be looking at major prospects on the OL for first round consideration?

...two different questions, I guess

I think we need to be heavily investing into the OL, whether that be Tackle or otherwise. Mahomes is gonna start getting expensive and we need cheaper options(and hopefully better) there. 

Draft a few of them I don’t care, 1st round should definitely be on the table.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, samsel23 said:

Allegretti, Niang, and possibly Rankin  are the only ones I'd considered promising.     The rest are guys we can "get by" with since Mahomes helps them out.    It's way overdue to put some resources into this OL,  not cast offs from other teams.   Our 7-8 minute offense with a lead desperately needs a better OL.

Good Lord, that's enough. I have no problem spending one premium pick on OL. Guys like Kilgore are available for one year, so day three picks on IOL also make sense. 

Snap counts are in. As you might have expected, Durant, Wisniewski, Kilgore, Omameh and Rankin played the whole game. Nick Keizer with only 40% was the odd man out. Yelder had 82%. 

On defense, it was the same suspects, but not. Willie Gay had only 2 snaps but Armani Watts had all 70. No wonder we gave up 31 points to a team that was not trying hard. 

Update on DeAndre Baker: the surgery went well. He's up on crutches. Far a broken major bone, things are as good as it gets.

The playoff rankings make it impossible for us to play the Bills or Steelers in round two. If either loses, we play the team that beat them. If both lose, we play the Colts. If both win, we play the winner of the Titans/Ravens game. Oddly, the most likely team is also the lowest rated. Using the 538 ELO rankings, this is the breakdown.

Ravens 26%
Titans 20%
Colts 36%
Browns 26%

The Colts are more likely than the Browns because we only play Cleveland if they win and the Indy lose. About 12% of the time, both win, in which case we play the horse's shoe. How's that for Luck? ;) 

J

Edited by onejayhawk