Playoffs - Cleveland at Kansas City

onejayhawk

16 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

Cleveland remains the most likely. Still using the 538 ELO numbers.

Baltimore - 35.5%
Cleveland - 38.1% 
Tennessee - 26.4%

J

So they basically calculate that Cleveland beating Pittsburgh is statistically more likely than Baltimore beating Tennessee. 

I wonder how they do this, given Tennessee's defense is abysmal and Baltimore has the best points diff in the league?

20 hours ago, KC_Guy said:

Weird end of the game  ... but it won't be Indianapolis. Not sure which outcome I favored  ... but sticking it to Rivers again would have been nice ... 

We would have smashed Indianapolis. I think they'd do well enough on D, but not quite enough to overcome their offense which is a chore to watch

2 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

With their HC out I don’t think they’re gonna get it. Always a chance though 

I'd honestly have it...

Baltimore - 45% chance

Tennessee - 35%

Cleveland - 20%

Cannot see Browns beating Pittsburgh in Pitt in the playoffs. Only team in playoffs with a - points diff overall

Edited by BigTrav

23 minutes ago, BigTrav said:

I'd honestly have it...

Baltimore - 45% chance

Tennessee - 35%

Cleveland - 20%

Cannot see Browns beating Pittsburgh in Pitt in the playoffs. Only team in playoffs with a - points diff overall

And the reason for that point differential? Pittsburgh and Baltimore lol

Just now, Chiefer said:

And the reason for that point differential? Pittsburgh and Baltimore lol

Yep

They do genuinely have a good RZ offense though and if we played them, I'd be worried of their run game. That's it though, I think Patrick would light them up for 45

57 minutes ago, BigTrav said:

So they basically calculate that Cleveland beating Pittsburgh is statistically more likely than Baltimore beating Tennessee. 

I wonder how they do this, given Tennessee's defense is abysmal and Baltimore has the best points diff in the league?

Not exactly. Nate Silver's statistics site has game probabilities, but you could use any source. The numbers have changed slightly since Friday.
https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2020-nfl-predictions/games/?ex_cid=rrpromo

It works like this.

Baltimore - 57%
Cleveland - 38%
Cleveland loses - 62%

Cleveland is not contingent. If they win, then they are our next opponent. So it's 38%.
Baltimore is contingent on Cleveland losing, so the probability is the product of two things which both must happen. That's the win probability times the probability of Cleveland losing, 57% X 62% = 35.34%. Likewise Tennessee is 43% X 62% = 26.66%. Then you round to tidy things up.

Before the Indianapolis game, thee things needed to happen for us to play Baltimore--all three other teams needed to lose. The probability of each event was better than 50%, but for all three to happen, the probability was only a 26.8%. 

J

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BigTrav said:

I'd honestly have it...

Baltimore - 45% chance
Tennessee - 35%
Cleveland - 20%

You have Baltimore a 9 to 7 favorite, or 56.25% to win their game. The oddsmaker says 57% so that's quite close. Where you disagree is Cleveland, 20% vs 38%. 

I give Cleveland better chances because they have an edge on offense, with better running game and a better QB. Pittsburgh has a much better defense, but on balance I thing the Browns have good chances.

J

• Like 1