2021 FA and Trade Talks

5 hours ago, Rockice_8 said:

To each his own I suppose.  Again I'm against Watson because of the price tag so I guess we're on the same page but for that price I think it's a no brainier but carry on sir.

As for the 2nd pick what do you want to do with it then?  Please don't say draft Sewell.

D Smith 😉 Forget the trade down

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Rockice_8 said:

To each his own I suppose.  Again I'm against Watson because of the price tag so I guess we're on the same page but for that price I think it's a no brainier but carry on sir.

As for the 2nd pick what do you want to do with it then?  Please don't say draft Sewell.

Trade down and draft Devonte Smith. Hes the best wr prospect in a while. Out performed Jeudy last year too. Almost perfect route runner with amazing hands and burst.  Can catch 50/50's. Will make annimmediaye impact on WR core. 

In my estimate, we give Darnold another year but with weapons this time.  Starting over with an unknown rookie just doesn't seem to make sense.  A new coach, new weapons and we will see if he is gonna be a starter or a back-up somewhere else next year.  As of today, Robert Salah is the coach front runner, so I assume we switch to a 4-3 defense.  I think we will be playing a 4-2-5 defense 50% of the time, so DB's and DE are what we need on DEF. I would love to trade CJ Mosley, if anyone would take that huge contract, i'd take a 4th round pick.

We re-sign;

Marcus Mayes $8 million a yr / 5 yrs.

Brian Poole $5 million a yr. / 2 years

Hewitt, Jenkins, Flacco, Basham, Luvu, Langi, Josh Adams, Jeff Smith and Vincent Smith to short cheap contracts.

All salary estimates from Spotrac:

WR - JuJu Smith-Schuster or Chris Godwin @ $18 million per year /6 yrs - Both young great WR.  Instantly our #1 something we haven't had since Brandon Marshall in 2015 or earlier.  We desperately need a goto #1 WR.

TE - Hunter Henry @ $10 million per yr. / 5 yr. - Outside the 1 injured year, he's a top 10 TE every year he's been in the league.  

RB - Leonard Fournette @ $5 million per yr / 4 years - He is the 4th or 5th rated RB but still productive.  At this low salary, we can use committee and not break the bank.  

DE - Yannick Ngakoue @ $16 per year / 5 years - I worry about his keeping motivated, but if he gets paid, I think the attitude would go away.  8-12 sacks per year. Having Salah as his head coach should bring out the best in him, and I think on the high end he could get 16-17 sacks.

DE - Aldon Smith @ $6 million per year / 2 years (no Spotrac estimate) - Rotational DE, huge motor.  If he's only used in pass situations and on the other side of Ngakoue, he would thrive.  

I wish there were a great #1 CB available but maybe we draft one in the 2nd round.

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

What do people think the cost for Lattimore will be via trade. They need to get rid of a ton of salary. So they don’t have a lot of leverage.

I don't think they will move him. Brees is probably going to move on so that will open up a lot of cap space. Then they may go with Hill and Winston next year. 

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

What do people think the cost for Lattimore will be via trade. They need to get rid of a ton of salary. So they don’t have a lot of leverage.

I think we’d get him with our 3rd round pick. Maybe a conditional 2022 pick if he resigns with us next year. 

2 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Prior to this season it would have been a FRP plus. Realistically, I think he could be had for a SRP and a late day pick.  As you said,NO does not have much leverage and Lattimore had a down year. Same with Ramczyk without the down year. 

I wonder if it might be best to see if NO releases them. They are up a creek and both are two of the few without dead money implications. 

We have to wait and see what NFL has plan for salary cap and penalty.  I don't see NFL will punish Saints by stripping players.  Maybe marginalizing Saints somehow.  Don't forget Saints have been abusing voidable year method in contract.

1 hour ago, JetsandI said:

We have to wait and see what NFL has plan for salary cap and penalty.  I don't see NFL will punish Saints by stripping players.  Maybe marginalizing Saints somehow.  Don't forget Saints have been abusing voidable year method in contract.

Personally , I would hate that. Some teams (Jets) were responsible enough to plan  for this inevitablity. In a way, they would be getting punished if the NFL allows some teams to “get away with it”.

I could understand the NFL and the NFLPA doing something to raise the cap from $176M. After all, no one really saw this coming.  But it would have to be a universal plan that all teams are privy to.   IIRC, the cap reduction could be spread out over a number of years. Instead of $176M in 2021 it would be a bit higher with future years lower than the current combined NFL income %.   All that said, NO and Philly were going to be in cap hell even if the cap was raised to the $220M level (or whatever it was supposed to be).  Philly and NO should not be forgiven for poor cap management. 

6 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I was actually thinking about this the other day as I was reading into Staley. The way Ramsey talks about his ability to scheme around his best players and maximize their strengths - Lattimore would be a perfect target IMO. He and Q would be our version of Ramsey/Donald. Having said that, he has some serious technical issues that lead to far too many penalties, and so, not sure I'd feel comfortable handing him a massive deal without Staley in the picture.

A third seems awfully cheap for a player of his talent, but as you've alluded to, Saints may be in a tough spot.

2 hours ago, xrade said:

Personally , I would hate that. Some teams (Jets) were responsible enough to plan  for this inevitablity. In a way, they would be getting punished if the NFL allows some teams to “get away with it”.

I could understand the NFL and the NFLPA doing something to raise the cap from $176M. After all, no one really saw this coming.  But it would have to be a universal plan that all teams are privy to.   IIRC, the cap reduction could be spread out over a number of years. Instead of $176M in 2021 it would be a bit higher with future years lower than the current combined NFL income %.   All that said, NO and Philly were going to be in cap hell even if the cap was raised to the $220M level (or whatever it was supposed to be).  Philly and NO should not be forgiven for poor cap management. 

Yeah I am well aware of that.  And no, they don't deserve a break for salary cap issue.   If NFL/NFLPA found a way to make it easier for Saints and Eagles, it would also apply to all teams. Well, give or take.

18 minutes ago, NJC33 said:

I was actually thinking about this the other day as I was reading into Staley. The way Ramsey talks about his ability to scheme around his best players and maximize their strengths - Lattimore would be a perfect target IMO. He and Q would be our version of Ramsey/Donald. Having said that, he has some serious technical issues that lead to far too many penalties, and so, not sure I'd feel comfortable handing him a massive deal without Staley in the picture.

A third seems awfully cheap for a player of his talent, but as you've alluded to, Saints may be in a tough spot.

If Lattimore is actually on the trade market then Saints should expect to field more offers, meaning his value may be higher than 3rd or even 2nd.