2021 FA and Trade Talks

JetsandI

Just now, KingOfNewYork said:

I hate this mindset. It isn't like we aren't trying, we cant just sign whoever we want this isn't Madden. 

Agreed to some extent

The market isn't moving at all across the league - is another sign that Joe isn't out here spending money o spend money, but is offering these guys what they seem to be worth to all teams

With that said, I really want Samuel

9 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

I’m referring to the Colts under Ballard. They have a team that is good regardless of the QB. They can properly evaluate a QB on their team as well. Now it’s about finding the QB. It wasn’t Brisset. It wasn’t Rivers. Now they’ll give Wentz a try.

These top QB prospects aren’t guaranteed. So they’re giving themselves many chances without emptying their ammo. If Wentz hits, they’re gold.

Im not sure what I’d do personally. I just see both sides and would support whichever route we take. 

I can understand that. The Colts have just not been in a position to draft a QB high enough, I guess. I just don’t want to have a good team and perpetually come up short because we are lacking a QB.

1 hour ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

Sorry, but this is not a two-horse race. You can easily trade down and trade Darnold, which would give us more assets and more options.

For a team that needs everything, THAT is what a smart GM would do. Forget about Ozzie Newsome's philosophies. None of those had to deal with Sam Darnold and the New York market and the Jets curse.

Not singling this post out directly, I just chose from the multitude of suggestions overall which seem to have garnered majority consensus that:

A) A Quarterback should be chosen at #2

B) Darnold needs to be traded

So if A happens, but not B, it's a lost offseason because they did not maximize their assets. And if B happens, but not A, they are making a bad decision for the future of this franchise because Darnold hasn't shown he can be a franchise Quarterback so far. For those jumping off the Darnold train (or were never on it), how can it reasonably be expected that fair value will be obtained when most here have given up on him and wouldn't trade any amount of compensation to obtain him to have the guy on their team if rolls were reversed?

I'm wondering because I don't see how Darnold being traded is an absolute must for this off season. For one, this team will never get back what it gave up to acquire him, everyone knows that. Two, Carson Wentz was just traded for only a 3rd this year and a conditional pick that can become a 1st if he meets some markers but he is a proven starter who bordered on elite prior to his injury. Darnold hasn't established that yet, so what kind of splash deal is expected by trading him? I guess my point is, I don't see why the absolute demand has to be getting rid of him when he's not a locker room cancer and still has upside. Draft a QB at 2, keep him to compete. If he wins, maybe you have a Drew Brees/Phillip Rivers scenario where instead of letting Brees walk, you trade him for fair compensation. If he loses, his value isn't any more diminished then because he'll still be 24 and have lost out to a talented player chosen number 2 overall. Maybe that version is only worth a 5th round pick, but I find it difficult to believe that he'll fetch more than a Wentz trade this year anyways. Also, if they draft a QB at 2, having him battle Darnold for the starting spot seems like better competition than having him compete against James Morgan. 

Btw, I'm in the camp of keeping him and not drafting a QB at 2 but I still believe the team will draft a QB at 2. If he's still on the team beginning of April, then I think they're going to pass on a QB. I just want to hear the thoughts on why he has to be traded when I don't think he's going to get the compensation that constitutes a splash. 

Edited by skhurst0398

3 minutes ago, xrade said:

I can understand that. The Colts have just not been in a position to draft a QB high enough, I guess. I just don’t want to have a good team and perpetually come up short because we are lacking a QB.

Right. That’s the big concern. We never pick in the top 2.