2021 FA and Trade Talks

JetsandI

1 hour ago, xrade said:

I thought I rad somewhere, just a blurb really, that all teams were under the cap. If you are looking at OTC, they typically don’t change anything until they have all the details. That is why they are not indicating Lawson to us. They probably don’t know all the details. 

Yeah... Website is not always up to speed of real business.    Saints had successfully done to ensure the cap compliance after Armstead restructure yesterday.

We were 2-14 last year. A laughing stock around the league. Was always going to be tough signing free agents without overpaying stupidly. I’d of hoped the mantra around players wanting to play for Saleh would of helped but maybe actions speak louder than words and we need to show improvement before we can start enticing better players to sign for us in FA. 

With that being said I’m interested to know the plan JD has moving forward in regards to the qb position. If the FA route in general is something JD doesn’t like then trading down from #2 and gathering lots of picks seems to be the best option. Would of preferred drafting Wilson but would he be in a position to succeed? Probably not.  

Still some players out there that can help us. Not difference makers. But guys to fill holes.

Just by the pure lack of signings so far though. We need too much in the draft. But some of those holes will be filled in the coming days still. Nothing ground breaking. But some just “ehhhhhhhh” signings 

16 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Still some players out there that can help us. Not difference makers. But guys to fill holes.

Just by the pure lack of signings so far though. We need too much in the draft. But some of those holes will be filled in the coming days still. Nothing ground breaking. But some just “ehhhhhhhh” signings 

It’s going to be another season of crap there’s no getting around that. I think the evidence shown is JD will focus his squad building through the draft. By year three and four if he’s hit on his draft picks we should have a good team. This is his third year but only 2nd draft so we have to give him time. 

I really don’t like this approach as I feel we’ve not done enough but at this point I’m resigned to the fact we are slow building and as a fan I just have to support that. 

*Same was said for Idzik and Mac though so il not as optimistic as some but JD is his own man and it will either rise with him or stay ****e. Not really much else to say! 

37 minutes ago, xenajets said:

It’s going to be another season of crap there’s no getting around that. I think the evidence shown is JD will focus his squad building through the draft. By year three and four if he’s hit on his draft picks we should have a good team. This is his third year but only 2nd draft so we have to give him time. 

I really don’t like this approach as I feel we’ve not done enough but at this point I’m resigned to the fact we are slow building and as a fan I just have to support that. 

*Same was said for Idzik and Mac though so il not as optimistic as some but JD is his own man and it will either rise with him or stay ****e. Not really much else to say! 

There’s still some moves that can happen. So I’ll hold back judgement. But as I said... it would just be bad business to have the money we did and to go into the draft with lots of holes. We can’t need big time upgrades for example at both OG spots, TE, RB, CB, Edge, LB and WR. We won’t be getting starters with every pick we draft.

I know we’re not a 1 offseason fix. But with they money in FA we have and picks. A lot could get done. And through the 1st 3 days plus. We have 2 players that are upgrades. But as I said I’ll hold back judgement until more signings are done.

25 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

Yeah... Coaching is always the vital key to team success.   You shouldn't be whining about FA activity if you believe in Saleh.  

My issue with the complaining is that it just assumes Douglas and the team aren’t working. Like if a guy doesn’t sign here like what more can they do? 

We can complain about draft picks or waiver wire pick ups because we’re in more control.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, xenajets said:

I agree with you, sure looks like Douglas wants to get most of his players thru the draft. The first day of FA he grab four players three of the four were good players the one I am not crazy about is Jarrad Davis, he was bench by Detroit for poor play last year. And nothing the last three days.

2 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

There’s still some moves that can happen. So I’ll hold back judgement. But as I said... it would just be bad business to have the money we did and to go into the draft with lots of holes. We can’t need big time upgrades for example at both OG spots, TE, RB, CB, Edge, LB and WR. We won’t be getting starters with every pick we draft.

I know we’re not a 1 offseason fix. But with they money in FA we have and picks. A lot could get done. And through the 1st 3 days plus. We have 2 players that are upgrades. But as I said I’ll hold back judgement until more signings are done.

Well it’s two offseasons by the end of the draft really isn’t it. Like JD has been in the job nearly two years. 

A lot could get done but I’d be surprised if the issues were addressed now. Just seems against what we’ve seen already and I’m okay with that as this is clearly the JD plan. Time will tell. 

1 hour ago, JetsandI said:

Yeah... Coaching is always the vital key to team success.   You shouldn't be whining about FA activity if you believe in Saleh.  

I don’t agree this time my friend. The best coaches in all sports need talent. I can think of 1 or 2 coaches across all sports who have won with little talent. Saleh is not close to that level I’m talking about. He’s a first time HC for gods sake. 

51 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

My issue with the complaining is that it just assumes Douglas and the team aren’t working. Like if a guy doesn’t sign here like what more can they do? 

We can complain about draft picks or waiver wire pick ups because we’re in more control.

I’m more than outspoken on the fact I felt we had a really poor offseason last year and so far I’m not liking it much this year either. 

However I don’t think JD is sat off somewhere having a beer and not trying to get better. I’m sure he is. But time will tell like I keep on saying. But it goes both ways...

There were people on here saying the same with Idzik and Mac. That’s facts. Others were saying Gase was a good hire and was still riding with him after the joke of last season. 

56 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

I agree with you, sure looks like Douglas wants to get most of his players thru the draft. The first day of FA he grab four players three of the four were good players the one I am not crazy about is Jarrad Davis, he was bench by Detroit for poor play last year. And nothing the last three days.

Building through the draft is great. Getting a qb#2 and having him on a rookie deal is even better. But because we aren’t shelling out $40m on a qb why not get an elite o-line and several proven playmakers. By the time their contracts are up and we have to pay the rookie you’ve built a foundation through the draft. 
Also relying on rookies and 2nd year players may be too much of a burden I feel. 

Edited by xenajets

7 minutes ago, xenajets said:

I’m more than outspoken on the fact I felt we had a really poor offseason last year and so far I’m not liking it much this year either. 

However I don’t think JD is sat off somewhere having a beer and not trying to get better. I’m sure he is. But time will tell like I keep on saying. But it goes both ways...

There were people on here saying the same with Idzik and Mac. That’s facts. Others were saying Gase was a good hire and was still riding with him after the joke of last season. 

I mean its a results business. If we got 10-6 instead of 2-14 then no one has issue with his offseason and so on and so forth. I don't think there's a clear answer right now out there, its going to take a combination of things to turn this around. 

What we do know is he added an EDGE, WR and top Special Teams ace and a solid Linebacker and brought back two guys who we can use as depth pieces. 

When I look around the league there isn't a team that I think is currently blowing anyone out the water right now. The market is very stagnant, teams seems to be locked on offers and some players seem to want more than what's out there.