2021 FA and Trade Talks

JetsandI

22 minutes ago, jetjuice said:

Sure we might, but you're now referring to a backup QB. That's not more important than filling the two starting spots on our o-line that are currently vacant. We currently have Sam Darnold and James Morgan and very well may take a QB 2nd overall. If that's how things play out and we don't trade Sam, we don't need another QB on this roster.

Right now I'm more worried about who's blocking for whoever is back there. And I guarantee you JD does too. We all thought Thuney was a lock, now what?

Well, you may view it as a backup but if Darnold is still here the guy we get can easily outplay Darnold and become the starter, or at least push him for the job. If we draft somebody (at No. 2 or later), the guy we get is important because he could start for us as a bridge to the young guy. 

Either way, it is a very important position for this team and Alex Smith is still out there. We need to get him, imo.

I am not saying we should ignore guard help. On the contrary, we need to get two offensive guards as well. No doubt.

1 minute ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

Next year at this time, Darnold will be signing a contract to be somebody's pure backup and people here are going to be saying, "say what?"

Ha very well could be true. Forgive me if I’m wrong but you are against keeping Sam and against going qb at #2. I know you liked Winston. What would you do now at qb with what’s left? 

6 minutes ago, xenajets said:

Ha very well could be true. Forgive me if I’m wrong but you are against keeping Sam and against going qb at #2. I know you liked Winston. What would you do now at qb with what’s left? 

I am not 100% against picking a QB at 2, but I don't think that would be ideal asset management for an organization that needs talent everywhere. Plus, my pick at No. 2 (in terms of a QB) would be Fields. But if we stay at 2, I would want Sewell above all.

So, I believe either Sewell or Fields could be had after pick No. 3, so why not explore a trade down? If we can't, fine. But I think we should definitely try. This, of course, assumes the Jets have already gotten word from the inside that Trevor Lawrence is 150% the player Jacksonville wants to take No. 1 overall. If there is even a slight chance that they are wavering (I am sure they are not), then we need to stand pat until it becomes a certainty.

Not a huge Winston fan either, to be honest. Not for this offense. I want Alex Smith. I am also starting to like the idea of signing Marcus Mariota if the Raiders release him.

I would definitely draft a quarterback this year. It is just a matter of when. My first two picks that I want are Sewell and Etienne. I'd go quarterback after that. If we can get a pick earlier than 34 for our third choice (perhaps by trading down, perhaps by trading Darnold, perhaps a combination of the two, perhaps by including a Mosley, et al), then that would be ideal.

In my view, Douglas wins the draft (and even the entire off-season) if he can land Sewell, Etienne and one of the five QBs that everybody has rated highly. Probably Lance or Jones, which would be more than fine by me.

But my Week 1 starter is Alex Smith or Marcus Mariota right now.