2021 FA and Trade Talks

JetsandI

15 minutes ago, xenajets said:

Completely disagree. Any player that starts for us next year at any position needs to be a starting calibre player. At what position group we currently have is that good where we don’t need replacements?

Qb, Rb, Og, Te, Wr, Edge, Lb, Cb, S, K. All areas where our current starter or starters can be improved. If we sign players in these positions they need to be of starting calibre. You add depth pieces when you have starting calibre players already. Like LT with Becton or DT with Q. 

You missed my point. Of course every starter should be a starting caliber player. But we’ve had rosters full of guys that shouldn’t even be in the league.  Joe’s job is not just to get the best starting unit possible (though it’s the priority) but to build an entire roster. 

I’m not satisfied if any of these guys are starting but I’d argue they make the roster better. If it’s your opinion guys like Jeff Smith, Connor McDermott or Mathias Fairley are better thats a different argument. You can build your starting unit, bench and special teams simultaneously. That’s all I was trying to say. 

3 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

There’s only so many “starters” out there though and we aren’t the only team they can sign with.

Im sure we will add a corner (we need to) and I’d be willing to bet he tried to do better with the o line but free agency is to supplement the roster and he’s done a decent job of that. I know if the money was about equal there’s very few teams in the league I’d pick the Jets over. Especially if I was an offensive player.

Not really. There’s plenty of talent out there that can help a 2-14 team. Like I said I’m not saying go stupid and sign older players to ridiculous deals. But we were a 2 win team last year. Minimal improvement will only yield minimums results. I agree with the offensive free agents. We’d be a tough sell no doubt. That’s why armed with more money than every other team bar one you maybe need to spend a little more than say a team like KC or GB. 

3 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

Remember when Mikey Mac won “executive of the year” for the “competitive rebuild?”

Was that the year we won 10 games? Showed his ineptitude how he didn’t improve that roster that was pretty talented. His drafting sucked though. Can’t imagine we have many of his players left now?!? 

7 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

I don’t understand the Joyner signing 

According to Rotoworld, he will be playing S. He was much better as a S than slot CB. Saleh’s defense presumably will utilize 3 S looks.  

5 minutes ago, JohnnyHectorFan said:

You missed my point. Of course every starter should be a starting caliber player. But we’ve had rosters full of guys that shouldn’t even be in the league.  Joe’s job is not just to get the best starting unit possible (though it’s the priority) but to build an entire roster. 

I’m not satisfied if any of these guys are starting but I’d argue they make the roster better. If it’s your opinion guys like Jeff Smith, Connor McDermott or Mathias Fairley are better thats a different argument. You can build your starting unit, bench and special teams simultaneously. That’s all I was trying to say. 

Okay I get you my man. Yeah I’m all for retaining squad depth and such. My point is if we are signing a cornerback for example make him the #1 guy. It’s probably our weakest group right now and without doubt our youngest. No point adding an okay talent who might not start because in fairness we have young guys who can give us depth. Sorry for any crossed lines there 😬

Just now, xrade said:

According to Rotoworld, he will be playing S. He was much better as a S than slot CB. Saleh’s defense presumably will utilize 3 S looks.  

Yeah Raider fans say he played well at safety but not good in the slot. Got to imagine he will add that veteran presence at the safety position and rotate with Davis. 

4 minutes ago, xenajets said:

Okay I get you my man. Yeah I’m all for retaining squad depth and such. My point is if we are signing a cornerback for example make him the #1 guy. It’s probably our weakest group right now and without doubt our youngest. No point adding an okay talent who might not start because in fairness we have young guys who can give us depth. Sorry for any crossed lines there 😬

No lines crossed at all. I’m just a 52 year old guy typing with his thumbs on a screen I can barely see. I’m not the best at getting my point across in my posts. 👍🏻

1 minute ago, JohnnyHectorFan said:

No lines crossed at all. I’m just a 52 year old guy typing with his thumbs on a screen I can barely see. I’m not the best at getting my point across in my posts. 👍🏻

Nah man I get you now. All good 🙌🏼

17 minutes ago, xenajets said:

Yeah Raider fans say he played well at safety but not good in the slot. Got to imagine he will add that veteran presence at the safety position and rotate with Davis. 

Sounds like a combo of Maye and Joyner will play deep with Davis closer to line according to speculation.  Kind of like a big dime defense.

Sounds like they want to high end ballhawks in the cover 2 with Davis using his athletic ability down in the box more covering TEs.

I think before FA is over we need a starting caliber CB like Fuller or Jackson plus another OG.  I think FA would be a success if we do that.  We'd still need help at LB, RB, OG and maybe TE depth but overall I think JD had a good FA period if he can get 1 or 2 more starting spots lockdown before the draft.

Edited by Rockice_8

8 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Sounds like a combo of Maye and Joyner will play deep with Davis closer to line according to speculation.  Kind of like a big dime defense.

Sounds like they want to high end ballhawks in the cover 2 with Davis using his athletic ability down in the box more covering TEs.

I think before FA is over we need a starting caliber CB like Fuller or Jackson plus another OG.  I think FA would be a success if we do that.  We'd still need help at LB, RB, OG and maybe TE depth but overall I think JD had a good FA period if he can get 1 or 2 more starting spots lockdown before the draft.

Yeah I like that. Davis may just be the best athlete we have. Just need that crossing over to his game because he was very hit and miss last year. He’s still young so I expect him to get better. 

As far as FA goes now it’s just a wait and see approach. Before FA I was 90% sure we would go Wilson/Fields at #2 and trade Sam. With the emphasis on draft picks, FA philosophy and the fact we’ve still kept Sam I’m starting to shift my thinking towards JD keeping Sam and trading down. 

26 minutes ago, xenajets said:

Yeah I like that. Davis may just be the best athlete we have. Just need that crossing over to his game because he was very hit and miss last year. He’s still young so I expect him to get better. 

As far as FA goes now it’s just a wait and see approach. Before FA I was 90% sure we would go Wilson/Fields at #2 and trade Sam. With the emphasis on draft picks, FA philosophy and the fact we’ve still kept Sam I’m starting to shift my thinking towards JD keeping Sam and trading down. 

Na I'm not convinced Sam is staying.  Still think after the Wilson pro day he is going to be the guy.

Yeah the 3 safety look I like as well.  Just hopefully Davis and his ability gets caught up by his understanding of the game which was lacking last year.

1 minute ago, Rockice_8 said:

Na I'm not convinced Sam is staying.  Still think after the Wilson pro day he is going to be the guy.

Yeah the 3 safety look I like as well.  Just hopefully Davis and his ability gets caught up by his understanding of the game which was lacking last year.

Fields might be the pick too. He ran a 4.41 and says he will get it down to a 4.3. If Fields runs a 4.3 I thnk it puts him ahead of Wilson. I still hope we keep Sam Darnold. 

13 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

10 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

Fields might be the pick too. He ran a 4.41 and says he will get it down to a 4.3. If Fields runs a 4.3 I thnk it puts him ahead of Wilson. I still hope we keep Sam Darnold. 

I love both guys and would be happy with either. Just feel like maybe trading down and adding more premium picks will be too tempting for Joe. Either way we are in a fortunate position. 

Just now, KBS756 said:

Know we won’t be interested but we should bring in Marriota and give him a shot 

If we keep Sam then absolutely. Just let them battle for the starting job. I want a qb at #2 but if we stick with Sam bringing in a young talented player like Mariota would be a great motivator for Sam.