2021 FA and Trade Talks

JetsandI

1 hour ago, Rockice_8 said:

Sounds like a combo of Maye and Joyner will play deep with Davis closer to line according to speculation.  Kind of like a big dime defense.

Sounds like they want to high end ballhawks in the cover 2 with Davis using his athletic ability down in the box more covering TEs.

I think before FA is over we need a starting caliber CB like Fuller or Jackson plus another OG.  I think FA would be a success if we do that.  We'd still need help at LB, RB, OG and maybe TE depth but overall I think JD had a good FA period if he can get 1 or 2 more starting spots lockdown before the draft.

I think that’s right. I was initially confused because I assumed we’d be more of a cover 1/3 press team like SF and Seattle. I’m sure we’ll probably mix it up. But we’re probably playing more cover 2 with Maye and Joyner deep like you said.

Edited by SDotNova

14 minutes ago, Sandwhich2 said:

Saleh ran two high pretty often the last couple of seasons. I wouldn't think of our safeties the same way you would for the classis Seattle cover 3. Less Kam-Thomas defined roles and more so do-everything types.

Thanks. Looks like I’m a couple years behind what Saleh prefers to do on defense. 

I think Saleh only changed his defense once guys started to go down to injury. I am pretty surprised that we are going with the two-deep safety system, and not the SS/FS route.

I'm starting to wonder whether we have more moves in store. We signed Joyner (but we already have Maye and Davis), we signed J. Davis (but we already have Mosley) and we signed Cole (but we already have Crowder).

I think there are more moves coming.

Edited by Jag68Sid87

11 minutes ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

I think Saleh only changed his defense once guys started to go down to injury. I am pretty surprised that we are going with the two-deep safety system, and not the SS/FS route.

I'm starting to wonder whether we have more moves in store. We signed Joyner (but we already have Maye and Davis), we signed J. Davis (but we already have Mosley) and we signed Cole (but we already have Crowder).

I think there are more moves coming.

2019 was when Saleh started mixing up coverages with Cover 4 (two high safeties) to mix in with the cover 3. Everyone was healthy that season, he just knew he needed to adapt. That was also when he made the switch to a wide 9 DL scheme. Last year he mixed in more man coverage looks when players went down, seemed like a healthy mix of all sorts of coverages.

The Bucs ran a lot of cover 4 (quarters of you will) in the Superbowl against Mahomes. I've also read the Bills had played it a lot last season. I could be wrong but it seems that the league is starting to trend towards MOFO rather than the MOFC defenses that have been so popular in the NFL the last 10 years or so. Seems like Jets are going to be part of that trend.

If anyone has the time and patience, perhaps a brief breakdown on what the DB’s assignments are?  I have little understanding of MOFO (****?) and quarters and all the jargon used here. Help out a bother, will ya?

14 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

If your QB is running a 4.3 think Lamar Jackson but fatser. Then you add he has a good arm and throws a good ball. Ya that makes a huge diffrence. 

There’s a lot more to playing QB than just how strong your arm is and how fast you can run

4 minutes ago, Dr.O said:

There’s a lot more to playing QB than just how strong your arm is and how fast you can run

For sure. But beating Lawrence in a BIG game has my attention, that's for sure.

What has Zach Wilson done to earn a higher draft slot?

The Jets seem to have a plan at least. They are signing high character football guys who won't be cancers and also rate highly on metrics. This FO seems to put a lot of emphasis on metrics. 

Carl Lawson rates really high as a pass rusher, hopefully that turns out into a 10+ sack pass rusher because 5.5 is too low for how many pressures he gets.

Corey Davis reminds me of a Eric Decker signing, good football player. I like that we added a big body WR, but the plan seems to be also getting WRs who can block and are physical. 

Cole was a nice pickup, good depth. 

Obviously we can't fill every hole, we have too many holes. But they are doing good in not overspending and looking like they know what they are doing. The draft is huge for us. 

39 minutes ago, xrade said:

If anyone has the time and patience, perhaps a brief breakdown on what the DB’s assignments are?  I have little understanding of MOFO (****?) and quarters and all the jargon used here. Help out a bother, will ya?

I know things on a rudimentary level so if anyone has corrections hit me. 

MOFO=middle of field open MOFC= middle of field closed.

Basically whether or not there's a player occupying the deep middle of the field MOFC examples: Cover 3 where the FS has middle third responsibility, Man Free where it's man coverage everywhere but a "center fielder."

MOFO is your coverages where the field is split so there isn't a guy roaming the middle. Cover 2 has two safeties splitting the field. Cover 4 can look a lot like cover 2 (or even man coverage with 2 high safeties) but it's really split into quarters with the CBs have deep boundary assignments.

EDIT: there's all kinds of variances and mix matches that can occur where often half the field is playing one type of coverage and the other half is playing something else. But that's the basics.

Edited by Sandwhich2

24 minutes ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

For sure. But beating Lawrence in a BIG game has my attention, that's for sure.

What has Zach Wilson done to earn a higher draft slot?

Arm talent, Processing, Athleticism, his ability to throw off and on base consistently for Wilson. Fields beat Clemsons defense. Not Lawrence.

• Like 1