2021 FA and Trade Talks

JetsandI

Interested to see what we do at RB. Not sure who was calling the shots... but JD was part of a regime that drafted Miles Sanders before he left for us in Round 2 and drafted Perine in Round 4 for us. 

The trends you saw with Philly with JD there was OL and CB being addressed early. So I expect a lot of that still. Now we did just draft Becton, signed McGovern to a decent deal and I think get 1 of Thuney or Scherff. I do think JD will also resign Elf to compete for the RG spot as well as depth at C and LG. Fant didn't do enough for me for his job to be safe. Lets remember that he has a very cuttable contract as well. So I wouldn't put it past us to got after a RT as well somehow.

At RB SF didn't not necessarily value RB. After all they spent a decent amount of money on both McKinnon and Coleman the last few years. And yes they did get a good amount of production out of some rather no names in Mostert and Wilson... but I think they do still value the position. That's not me saying I think we draft a guy in Round 1. Its just me thinking that they just don't think they can put any guy back there and have 1000 rush yards and 500 receiving yards. I think if the value is there, we get a good player at RB. I see no way they think Perine and Ty are who should be getting a good amount of snaps. I'd even think we might bring in 2 guys here via FA and draft.

21 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Interested to see what we do at RB. Not sure who was calling the shots... but JD was part of a regime that drafted Miles Sanders before he left for us in Round 2 and drafted Perine in Round 4 for us. 

The trends you saw with Philly with JD there was OL and CB being addressed early. So I expect a lot of that still. Now we did just draft Becton, signed McGovern to a decent deal and I think get 1 of Thuney or Scherff. I do think JD will also resign Elf to compete for the RG spot as well as depth at C and LG. Fant didn't do enough for me for his job to be safe. Lets remember that he has a very cuttable contract as well. So I wouldn't put it past us to got after a RT as well somehow.

At RB SF didn't not necessarily value RB. After all they spent a decent amount of money on both McKinnon and Coleman the last few years. And yes they did get a good amount of production out of some rather no names in Mostert and Wilson... but I think they do still value the position. That's not me saying I think we draft a guy in Round 1. Its just me thinking that they just don't think they can put any guy back there and have 1000 rush yards and 500 receiving yards. I think if the value is there, we get a good player at RB. I see no way they think Perine and Ty are who should be getting a good amount of snaps. I'd even think we might bring in 2 guys here via FA and draft.

If we don’t get Watson which is obviously unlikely and roll with either Sam or a rookie qb then I think the need to get a quality running back stable is massively important. like I wouldn’t be upset us using #23 or #34 on one. 

However if we were to get Watson then bringing in low cost guys who can all do the little bits well we don’t need that superstar at RB. 

3 minutes ago, xenajets said:

If we don’t get Watson which is obviously unlikely and roll with either Sam or a rookie qb then I think the need to get a quality running back stable is massively important. like I wouldn’t be upset us using #23 or #34 on one. 

However if we were to get Watson then bringing in low cost guys who can all do the little bits well we don’t need that superstar at RB. 

Agreed. If we roll with Sam we just can't throw regular guys around him and hope the system alone makes him better. There has to be an influx of new legit talent. And with rolling with Darnold... the likes of big time skill guys wanting to come here might be slim, unless we vastly overpay, which isn't very JD like. Meaning it has to be done via draft. Which can be done with the picks we should have. We could very easily in a trade back get Smith or Chase, a star RB like Harris, Etienne or Williams, a OLineman as well as Edge and CB. In my mock I had us trading back with ATL. That would allow us to still draft Smith or Chase at 4. Get an edge or CB maybe at 23. Go Harris or Etienne at 34 and go edge or CB at 35. That's getting 4 legit talents in the top 35 all while still holding 3 3 rounders in my trade back scenario.

That all being said... I'd love a trade scenario as Jeremiah said of 3 1st rounders in the next 3 years. #2 this year, either ours or SEA 1st next year and our 1st in 2023. That still gives us a 1st these next 2 drafts still all while getting a top 5 QB in here whos still 25 years old. Which in turn will help with adding FAs and still having draft capital. That's the ideal scenario for me.

So my top scenarios are....

1. Trade a 1st the next 3 years for Watson pre FA.

2. Stick with Darnold. Trade back just a tiny bit in the draft and add a haul of picks and still able to draft Smith or Chase and prioritize Harris, Etienne or Williams in the draft. Get talent around Sam.

3. Draft one of Wilson or Fields at 2.

I mean imagine a scenario where we do make a trade with HOU for Watson with that Jeremiah trade. We do add Thuney and AR15 in FA. Go CB or Edge at 23 and draft 1 of Harris, Etienne or Williams at 34. Talk about a totally revamped offense in 1 year. And we'd still have draft capital in a Sam trade and 2 3rds to address other spots. 

12 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Agreed. If we roll with Sam we just can't throw regular guys around him and hope the system alone makes him better. There has to be an influx of new legit talent. And with rolling with Darnold... the likes of big time skill guys wanting to come here might be slim, unless we vastly overpay, which isn't very JD like. Meaning it has to be done via draft. Which can be done with the picks we should have. We could very easily in a trade back get Smith or Chase, a star RB like Harris, Etienne or Williams, a OLineman as well as Edge and CB. In my mock I had us trading back with ATL. That would allow us to still draft Smith or Chase at 4. Get an edge or CB maybe at 23. Go Harris or Etienne at 34 and go edge or CB at 35. That's getting 4 legit talents in the top 35 all while still holding 3 3 rounders in my trade back scenario.

That all being said... I'd love a trade scenario as Jeremiah said of 3 1st rounders in the next 3 years. #2 this year, either ours or SEA 1st next year and our 1st in 2023. That still gives us a 1st these next 2 drafts still all while getting a top 5 QB in here whos still 25 years old. Which in turn will help with adding FAs and still having draft capital. That's the ideal scenario for me.

So my top scenarios are....

2. Stick with Darnold. Trade back just a tiny bit in the draft and add a haul of picks and still able to draft Smith or Chase and prioritize Harris, Etienne or Williams in the draft. Get talent around Sam.

3. Draft one of Wilson or Fields at 2.

Yeah I think for maybe once we have flexibility and actually several scenarios which will mean we can turn this team around. In the past we’ve had picks and cash but idiots drafting/signing which led to disaster. I like what JD has done his first year. Not only has he hit more than missed but he’s done so as a first year GM in the middle of a global pandemic. I have also researched Robert Saleh in much greater detail since the hire and you can’t come away anything other than impressed and excited he’s our coach. 

The good thing moving forward is the fact our franchise is now spoken about in greater light in the media too which in turn helps with FA and the appeal of the franchise. With Gase and Macgagnan it was looked as like a joke shop.    

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

I don’t think we need to spend 3 FRP, nor should we. We should negotiate from a position of strength.  What teams will be able to afford Watsons cap in 2022?  Since going that far out is difficult I am basing my assumption on 2021 cap space. Then ask what teams need a QB? What we are left with is Ind., Wash., Pats, and maybe Denver. As many have said, our #2 this year is worth a ton. Denver at 9 is the next closest. If we also assume that out of those teams, the Jets will be picking higher next year (maybe Den and Wash will be close) we can offer our first next year which will likely be in the top 15.

We are about the only team Houston can deal with and get the best deal. We know it, Houston knows it and JD damn well knows it. Do not cave. Two FRP and a SRP in 2022 max. If Houston wants to hold out for that third FRP walk away. Chances are they will be back because no other team can offer what the Jets can, even if that team is willing to go to 3 FRP. 

Edited by xrade

12 minutes ago, xrade said:

I don’t think we need to spend 3 FRP, nor should we. We should negotiate from a position of strength.  What teams will be able to afford Watsons cap in 2022?  Since going that far out is difficult I am basing my assumption on 2021 cap space. Then ask what teams need a QB? What we are left with is Ind., Wash., Pats, and maybe Denver. As many have said, our #2 this year is worth a ton. Denver at 9 is the next closest. If we also assume that out of those teams, the Jets will be picking higher next year (maybe Den and Wash will be close) we can offer our first next year which will likely be in the top 15.

We are about the only team Houston can deal with and get the best deal. We know it, Houston knows it and JD damn well knows it. Do not cave. Two FRP and a SRP in 2022 max. If Houston wants to hold out for that third FRP walk away. Chances are they will be back because no other team can offer what the Jets can, even if that team is willing to go to 3 FRP. 

Say what you want... but we need him almost as bad as HOU needs to trade him. Yes they have leverage and don't have to trade him and we have Darnold still and have the 2nd pick. So neither team HAS TO do anything. But this franchise is starving for a franchise QB and he'd be that.

24 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Say what you want... but we need him almost as bad as HOU needs to trade him. Yes they have leverage and don't have to trade him and we have Darnold still and have the 2nd pick. So neither team HAS TO do anything. But this franchise is starving for a franchise QB and he'd be that.

I think @xrade was on the money to be fair. Houston would not even entertain trading Deshaun away in normal circumstances so they are being forced into action due to their own errors in player management. Then it comes down to getting the best compensation possible. 

If any of the other teams mentioned traded their first round pick even just this year it massively pales in comparison to the #2 overall pick. We are by far the best option to trade with....Miami I believe is the only team that near on matches us although I’m unsure of their cap heading into 2021 and beyond. 

3 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

If Jets actually traded for Watson then JD had to collect talents real well as Saleh had to coach the team up to standard. Otherwise, it will be a huge bust.

The current projected parameters of the deal are essentially Watson for Adams and a 1st. We really aren’t losing anything asset wise. We’re essentially using a 2023 first on our QB now and just paying him top 5 money.

1 minute ago, KingOfNewYork said:

The current projected parameters of the deal are essentially Watson for Adams and a 1st. We really aren’t losing anything asset wise. We’re essentially using a 2023 first on our QB now and just paying him top 5 money.

If thats it then good.  Still, Texans can game salary cap by waiting until June 1st.

51 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Strongly is agree here. We don't need Watson when we have all kinds of paths to take. We can draft a QB at 2, keep Sam, get a QB in FA like a Mariota, Winston type guys. The Texans have no choice but to move him if the realtionship is that bad.