2021 FA and Trade Talks

JetsandI

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

True and lets be real its the motivation for nearly all of us. Most of everyone works hard to try and get the next step up for them. And that next step up means more money. Its no different than playing good and getting that next contract. 

By and large this is true but incomplete. For many, including FB players, there comes a time where money is NOT the most important factor. It could be getting a less stressful job, location, more time off, etc. Football players are no different. As their career progresses other issues become more important than dollars. Maybe a winning program, playing close to home, playing with a certain coach or teammate as examples. It is almost a natural human progression regardless of job. 

27 minutes ago, xrade said:

By and large this is true but incomplete. For many, including FB players, there comes a time where money is NOT the most important factor. It could be getting a less stressful job, location, more time off, etc. Football players are no different. As their career progresses other issues become more important than dollars. Maybe a winning program, playing close to home, playing with a certain coach or teammate as examples. It is almost a natural human progression regardless of job. 

Yes kit out of 53 players on a roster... maybe 1/4 of them have already had a big pay day. The rest are still hungry. And let’s not forget the age of these guys. Even if they’ve had a pay day and are 25... they’re still wanting more money. Bc they have 50 years ahead of them. When you compare it to regular jobs... most people don’t hit that point if not wanting more money until there mid 30s or later. 

Other issues will be important, but when your coach has your best interests in mind that can for sure impact how they play.  He's saying all the right things and I think he can back it up.

Then the other benefit is we may even be able to get a guy like Sherman on a cheaper deal because of his connection with Saleh.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, mattmanz91 said:

I know this sounds absolutely crazy, but could this really get to the point where Watson says trade me to to jets, that's the only place I'll go, I don't care how much money I lose, I'm never playing here again, I'll sit out.

Again, totally crazy but he's already made a lot of money and could continue making money with endorsements regardless of if he's playing or not. 

Saleh is already creating a winning culture. It starts from within and everyone buying into the program and so far he is saying all the right things. We have guys from OTHER teams buying into what Saleh is about, I have no doubt that we will be an attractive free agent destination because of him and that we'll make a splash this year.

Also, since the state of our roster is basically a ball of clay for molding, I could see us being able to have an NBA super-team effect with all our cap space. Watson coming here could influence who we target in FA (Allen Robinson seems interested, the Will Fuller connection from HOU) and being able to have a hand in building the team around him in the biggest market in the world for a coach he respects might be a dream for him.

8 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

AR15 seems committed to wanting to join us

Yeah I have a feeling something is brewing under the radar, where there's smoke there's almost always fire. I bet you these two are talking about teaming up in NY to play for a guy who empowers and motivates his players and coaches in Saleh. Watson and Robinson played against each other many times in the AFC South and again this year in the Bears vs. Texans game, I'm sure they have earned each other's respect. 

2 hours ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

Other issues will be important, but when your coach has your best interests in mind that can for sure impact how they play.  He's saying all the right things and I think he can back it up.

Then the other benefit is we may even be able to get a guy like Sherman on a cheaper deal because of his connection with Saleh.

I mean they still gotta play. One thing we know about our guys is they played hard and never gave up. on 3rd and 4 in the 4th quarter with 2:30 left and no timeouts and we need a stop to get the offense back I doubt they're in the trenches thinking about Saleh having their back. They just gotta go do the job and often times that's the difference between winning and losing. 

What I think Saleh will provide is a clear vision to his coaches and thus to the team and preparation will be good enough or improved enough to win those situations. I remember watching the Adam Gase show before the 49ers game this year and he was talking about the 49ers run game and the problems it creates and how we have to be technically sound in our pursuit to the ball and if not they will beat us for big plays. Gase clearly knew yet on the 1st play of the game Mostert takes it to the house and then on a huge 3rd and very long with a chance to close the gap McKinnon breaks off a huge run and gets a 1st down. 

I think Saleh will have these guys ready but they just have to produce at the end of the day.