2021 FA and Trade Talks

JetsandI

55 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

Anyone who comes on as a guest on ESPN/radio says Sam can get a 2nd round pick.  If that happens that would be amazing! I just don't see it.

Ya I have to see it to believe it. I think its key to get him in the NFC just in case he does succeed. We cant have him haunting us for a decade.

9 minutes ago, Bianconero said:

I also can't see us getting a 2 for Sam, but sure!

That would give us two picks in each of the first 3 rounds - amazing

If we get a 2nd for Sam we are an extremely attractive team.  I think because we have the potential for huge roster turnover that in itself is attractive to a coach.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

If we get a 2nd for Sam we are an extremely attractive team.  I think because we have the potential for huge roster turnover that in itself is attractive to a coach.

I agree there will be a huge roster change.  We all pulled hard for Darnold for three years, and if he does go this whole thing leaves a lousy taste in my mouth. He is different from other players we had to release. This will be the first time in 63  years as a Jet fan I felt that way about a player we had to move on from

My current top 2 FA at every position

QB- Dak Prescott, Ryan Fitzpatrick

RB- Kenyan Drake, Tevin Coleman

WR- Allen Robinson, JuJu Smith-Schuster

TE- Hunter Henry, Robert Tunyan

OT- Trent Williams, Russell Okung

OG- Joe Thuney, Brandon Scherff

C- David Andrews, Matt Skura

EDGE- Trey Hendrickson, Haason Redick

DL- Leonard Williams, Ndamukong Suh

LB- Avery Williamson, BJ Goodson

CB- Patrick Peterson, Richard Sherman

S- Anthony Harris, Justin Simmons

3 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

My current top 2 FA at every position

QB- Dak Prescott, Ryan Fitzpatrick

RB- Kenyan Drake, Tevin Coleman

WR- Allen Robinson, JuJu Smith-Schuster

TE- Hunter Henry, Robert Tunyan

OT- Trent Williams, Russell Okung

OG- Joe Thuney, Brandon Scherff

C- David Andrews, Matt Skura

EDGE- Trey Hendrickson, Haason Redick

DL- Leonard Williams, Ndamukong Suh

LB- Avery Williamson, BJ Goodson

CB- Patrick Peterson, Richard Sherman

S- Anthony Harris, Justin Simmons

Mine is this...

QB: Dak, Fitz if looking for a starter (don't see this as the case). (If looking for a backup) Flacco, Dalton

RB: Jones, Conner if looking for a lead back (don't see this happening). (If looking for a guy that can mix in and plan on drafting a guy) Carson, Williams

WR: AR15, Godwin

TE: Tonyan, Henry

OT: Robinson, D.Williams

OG: Thuney, Scherff

OC: Karras, Andrews

Edge: Dupree, Barrett

DL: Tomlinson, Butler

LB: Singleton, Wilson

CB: Davis, Griffin

S: Simmons, Neal

We WILL get at least a 2nd round pick plus for Sam. There are too many teams out there that want a good backup QB with all the injuries that have happened to the QB. Sam would be a great backup project guy. I have read reports that they took a survey with the GM's and the majority see no problem getting at least a 2nd round pick plus for him. There are coaches and GM that think they can fix him into a good starting QB. I see teams like the 49ers, Steelers, Saints, KC and Colts taking a look at him. There will be teams lined up to get him. Remember he is better than most of the QB coming out this year and he is almost the same age but has starter experiance. 

1 hour ago, jetfuel34 said:

We WILL get at least a 2nd round pick plus for Sam. There are too many teams out there that want a good backup QB with all the injuries that have happened to the QB. Sam would be a great backup project guy. I have read reports that they took a survey with the GM's and the majority see no problem getting at least a 2nd round pick plus for him. There are coaches and GM that think they can fix him into a good starting QB. I see teams like the 49ers, Steelers, Saints, KC and Colts taking a look at him. There will be teams lined up to get him. Remember he is better than most of the QB coming out this year and he is almost the same age but has starter experiance. 

On the surface you're right. But once you dig in deeper to it... it's not that simple. 

And here's why.

He's going into the 4th year of his contract and whatever team he's on has to decide on his 5th year option this offseason (before the draft this has to be decided). As the 3rd pick that's quite a bit of money. So a team would have to be committing to him for 2 years and paying him a good amount a whole year from now. When in reality he hasn't earned that salary to date. Teams with aging QBs I think are more likely to draft their own guy in the 2nd and 3rd rounds, rather than give up a 2nd for Sam. They get that guy on a rookie deal for 4 years. Where Sam in 1 year is making a good amount if they pick up that option.

At the end of the day I think we trade him for a 3rd and a conditional pick in 2022 that can be up to a 2nd-3rd rounder depending on starts this next season.

I think we will continue for awhile (until he's traded) say that we will stick with Sam. We can't say we want to trade him, bc that kills his trade value. Listen to offers once they come in and go from there. We don't HAVE TO trade him is the thing. We very possibly can just not pick up his 5th year option (or maybe we do pick it up) and see what happens this year and still draft a QB at 2 (I highly doubt this happens). But the point is we don't HAVE TO trade him. It would be wise to, to gain extra picks for a rebuild. This isn't like Adams where Darnold is a distraction right now. Just wait and see what JD and a new HC want and they will let us know with a corresponding move. More than likely bc the way JD will operate we will just hear out of the blue one day that we have traded Sam or that we've picked up his 5th year option. 

Darnold's trade value won't benefit Jets.

Darnold's 5th year option will be announced after the draft. Problem is that once 5th year option is exercised, his 4th and 5th year salary will be fully guaranteed.  Declining the option is the smartest thing to be done for any team that possesses his contract.  Hence, his trade value is shot.

12 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

Darnold's 5th year option will be announced after the draft. Problem is that once 5th year option is exercised, his 4th and 5th year salary will be fully guaranteed.  Declining the option is the smartest thing to be done for any team that possesses his contract.  Hence, his trade value is shot.

What do you mean? He's getting traded for sure

• Like 1

I wonder what the asking price for Lattimore and Ramczyk will be for NOLA.

For Ertz from Philly (I think this is something we need to keep an eye on) There's the relationship with JD and Philly and several guys they might have to trade. OL they have a lot of money tied up in as well as Edge. 2 positions we need besides a guy like Ertz at TE.

Dante Fowler and Julio in ATL (Julio is one of my fav players, but he's aging and not sure he makes sense for us).

Either Smith edges for GB

PIT is in bad shape, but no sure how they will fix that. But we should be listening to who they are ok with trading.

Woods and Havenstein from LAR.

Mercilus, Cooks and Cunningham from HOU

Hunter and Barr from MIN

These are names to keep an eye on with teams over 20 mill in cap next year.

1 hour ago, JetsandI said:

His 5th year option is not getting exercised regardless of his team. A team can still tag him for about the same money. I agree, the prudent thing to do is decline the option.

Edited by SDotNova