2021 FA and Trade Talks

JetsandI

I have a HUGE no on Russell Wilson. To take him on that huge contract and then give up at least 3 first round picks for a guy that is 32. No way would I do that. The best deal I would give them is pick 23 and a first round pick next year and that would be it. By the time this team gets the talent Wilson will be 35 and looking to get done. He will be on the decline too. Please don't say "Well look at Brady" That just does not happen. Most QB ae done by 35. 

3 hours ago, jetfuel34 said:

If we get a good edge guy that would make Q even more of a beast. 

I think Q is going to see a lot of double teams this season since we'll be sending 4 more often than not. Someone will get doubled on the interior but thats okay if we add a legit EDGE and JFM steps up even more this coming season. Q will still be disruptive but he's gonna need some help up front.

1 hour ago, jetfuel34 said:

I have a HUGE no on Russell Wilson. To take him on that huge contract and then give up at least 3 first round picks for a guy that is 32. No way would I do that. The best deal I would give them is pick 23 and a first round pick next year and that would be it. By the time this team gets the talent Wilson will be 35 and looking to get done. He will be on the decline too. Please don't say "Well look at Brady" That just does not happen. Most QB ae done by 35. 

I agree with you the idea of giving up all those  1 draft picks for a 32 year old QB is insane.

• Like 1

On 2/18/2021 at 1:22 PM, xrade said:

So if 180.5 is the max, we need to spend at least 162 (90%). Regardless, I think JD will spend more than he normally would this FA period. 

I think I heard the cap next year will be like 220M so even if we do max it out this year we'd still have plenty of room next year.  There is no reason not to be aggressive for the guys we want.

I mentioned this in another thread or early in this one but this FA class is going to be loaded.  Once these cap cuts start it's going be be stacked.  Just wait to see some of the names that shake free it's going to be great.  

We have a real shot to make a quick transition this season if we get good QB play from Wilson 😉

According to Rotoworld, Aaron Jones may be seeking $15M. Nope.

Isaiah Wilson wants out of Tenn. I may think about it if I knew why he behaved the way he did but I would not trade for him. I would wait until he is cut.

Carlos Dunlap may be a cap casualty. At 32, if he wanted a 1 year deal I am good. More than that and it would have to be a cuttable contract.

Godwin wants to get paid. Will be interesting in TB. If Godwin does get paid by TB, would that free up Barrett? What would be a reasonable contract for the 29 year old player?

51 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

I think I heard the cap next year will be like 220M so even if we do max it out this year we'd still have plenty of room next year. 

It won’t be $220M if the league operates like last year. Even if it does, I thought I heard the cap this year is more than what was agreed to in the CBA and that they would spread the losses over a period of a couple of years. I am not even sure they have this years final cap numbers set so how could anyone predict next years cap. 

The cap will not go up 40mill. I think the cap will be go up some but not much. The NFL and owners have lost money and they want to make it up somewhere. The TV contracts are still good so they will have too take the money somewhere so it will be the players or add a 17 game. 

J.D. for the single year he's been involved in the process used a wait and see in FA and basically went for what he perceived to be bargain deals. Especially on the OL and to be fair to J.D. although he miscalculated on the WR position, I doubt signing someone other than Perriman would have made a difference.

The Jets WR corps is that bad! Much of that had to do with injuries, rookie play, and an inept coach.

So lets look at FA in light of J.D.'s track record and what was learned by him from Ozzie Newsome.

FA is not the route that J.D. took to upgrade his team last year, will that change this year? Perhaps.

He could spend wisely and sign one of the top G/T in FA then draft a top WR/TE in this years draft, especially

if the Jets decide to keep Darnold and trade out of the 2nd overall pick.

So lets go with that scenario, the Jets trade out with Atlanta or Philadelphia, and Carolina

Respectively that would be either the 4th pick in the draft, the 6th pick in the draft, and the 8th pick in the draft.

The Jets could get 2-3 picks this year, and another 2nd next year if this were to transpire depending how far down the draft board they decide to drop.

So from this perspective, and should the Jets sign say a Thuney to shore up the line, pass on a FA WR.

Depending on how far they fall the Jets could make the first pick of the draft Kyle Pitts TE who is being touted as the second best player not a QB in the draft.

Which besides being compensated with 2nd and 3rd round picks this year from either one of the afore mentioned teams, the would still have their 23rd pick.

Which I would use on another OL to completely overhaul the most important positional group on the team. History has shown us that if your line is less than overwhelming so are your chances of winning.

So if we keep in mind that J.D. has in the past has used few monetary assets to build his team, I think based on that we can expect him to follow the same pattern or logic going forward.

This edge class has the potential to be very good. There's good players at all levels. And I actually don't dislike the 2nd tier of guys lie Lawson, Okwara and others. So I wouldn't be surprised if this is a position that JD doesn't go after the Barrett, Yannik, etc type guys in FA. That he only targets that tier down from them.

I'd still take Wilson, but not over Watson. We're in such a great position right now. We're either drafting a good QB or we're going to trade for a top QB. Also, the Wilson rumors might help with leverage in the Watson deal if the Texans feel like they don't want to miss out on our deal that could get them the #2 QB in this draft. 

44 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

I'd still take Wilson, but not over Watson. We're in such a great position right now. We're either drafting a good QB or we're going to trade for a top QB. Also, the Wilson rumors might help with leverage in the Watson deal if the Texans feel like they don't want to miss out on our deal that could get them the #2 QB in this draft. 

I think neither team has listened to offers yet. They still stand by that these QBs are there guys.

I would have major interest in Russell Wilson. Because of his age, you might be able to get him for less than what you would have to fork over to Houston for Watson, and let's be real here: Russell Wilson is significantly more proven than Deshaun Watson. I love the latter, but come on. Wilson is the man.

Thirty two is not too old for a rebuilding team. He would also be the undisputed leader and face of the franchise. Nothing wrong with that.

Lastly, you could probably get more FAs to come to us with someone like Wilson on board.

Sign me up for #3.

How does trading for a 32 year old Russel Wilson, who would cost us multiple picks, and then cost us 40mil in cap, make sense for a rebuilding team? Not to mention he’d never waive his no trade clause to come to a significantly worse team and now one of which whose assets and more than half its cap space disintegrated. Jets fans are going off the rails this offseason I swear to god. Come back down to earth guys. It’s getting just silly around here lately. 

2 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

How does trading for a 32 year old Russel Wilson, who would cost us multiple picks, and then cost us 40mil in cap, make sense for a rebuilding team? Not to mention he’d never waive his no trade clause to come to a significantly worse team and now one of which whose assets and more than half its cap space disintegrated. Jets fans are going off the rails this offseason I swear to god. Come back down to earth guys. It’s getting just silly around here lately. 

Well, according to The Athletic today, Wilson's agents are broaching Seattle on potential trades with the Jets, Dolphins, Saints and Raiders. For whatever that is worth, but it is not as far-fetched as you make it sound.

As for your first question, the best way to rebuild a team is to rebuild the team with top-tier talent! How is 32 years old ancient for a quarterback???

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

I think neither team has listened to offers yet. They still stand by that these QBs are there guys.

Of course. I'm referring to if/when things pick up about the two Qbs. If they can't repair things by the time the draft hits, they have to decide if they are willing to miss out on drafting the next best replacement this offseason. Neither team have a first round pick this year. They can try to wait for 2022, but they have to decide if they're willing to miss out on the 3-4 other QBs who finished with a higher PFF grade than Lawrence. It's a very interesting situation.