2021 FA and Trade Talks

JetsandI

23 minutes ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

Well, according to The Athletic today, Wilson's agents are broaching Seattle on potential trades with the Jets, Dolphins, Saints and Raiders. For whatever that is worth, but it is not as far-fetched as you make it sound.

As for your first question, the best way to rebuild a team is to rebuild the team with top-tier talent! How is 32 years old ancient for a quarterback???

It’s far from young considered all the other things it’s costs me. How are you building a team after trading for him? One that you can say with absolute certainty, “this is a super bowl contender”.

11 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

I see Isaiah Wilson is on the trade block. I wouldn't trade for him, but it would be fun to have two giant OT's. Screen passes would be terrible for DBs. lol 

Mental issues with him not physical. Pretty sure he’s a guy that just doesn’t get it

2 hours ago, rickyt31 said:

I see Isaiah Wilson is on the trade block. I wouldn't trade for him, but it would be fun to have two giant OT's. Screen passes would be terrible for DBs. lol 

You assume he would actually play. The dude may need to take a year off and get help. 

Perine saying the right things in saying Darnold is his guy. That he sees all he needs is some more pieces to be a great QB.

Obviously this is just smart for him to say. But I do think A LOT of people truly believe this. On this board there’s more who are done with Darnold than most people I talk to on a daily basis. Generally speaking... all who are done with him are actually in the minority in thinking Darnold should be done here.

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

Perine saying the right things in saying Darnold is his guy. That he sees all he needs is some more pieces to be a great QB.

Obviously this is just smart for him to say. But I do think A LOT of people truly believe this. On this board there’s more who are done with Darnold than most people I talk to on a daily basis. Generally speaking... all who are done with him are actually in the minority in thinking Darnold should be done here.

I for one is having a change of heart, I would rather build the Jets & keep Darnold. This year we have a great chance to do that. The longer we keep that #2 pick the more it is going to be worth on draft day. Douglas  has all the time in the world to make his decision he can either trade the #2 pick for more first round picks or draft a QB. last minute. Doing it that way we have everything to gain and nothing to lose.  I am very optimistic about the draft, but not to optimistic about the FA period sure we got the money but how do we get players to sign with the Jets with our current lousy roster and record?

Edited by doumeyer

1 hour ago, doumeyer said:

I for one is having a change of heart, I would rather build the Jets & keep Darnold. This year we have a great chance to do that. The longer we keep that #2 pick the more it is going to be worth on draft day. Douglas  has all the time in the world to make his decision he can either trade the #2 pick for more first round picks or draft a QB. last minute. Doing it that way we have everything to gain and nothing to lose.  I am very optimistic about the draft, but not to optimistic about the FA period sure we got the money but how do we get players to sign with the Jets with our current lousy roster and record?

I think Saleh is the selling point. i really do think guys like playing for him. The way players have come out talking about him. Watson said he wanted him as the new coach and would love to play for him. Richard Sherman loves this guy and will sign with the Jets to play for him. I think we do hit one big FA and get a bunch for second level guys like Sherman that will fill the roster nice and then trade down from 2 to grab some more first round picks for this year and next. Saleh is the selling point for these guys. 

46 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

I think Saleh is the selling point. i really do think guys like playing for him. The way players have come out talking about him. Watson said he wanted him as the new coach and would love to play for him. Richard Sherman loves this guy and will sign with the Jets to play for him. I think we do hit one big FA and get a bunch for second level guys like Sherman that will fill the roster nice and then trade down from 2 to grab some more first round picks for this year and next. Saleh is the selling point for these guys. 

I agree. And what helps is the amount of teams in bad cap.

I died laughing when I read Wilson being rumored to NO. They’re 66mill over the projected cap and are going to bring in a guy making 20mill on the cap this year? Ya ok.

20 hours ago, ekill08x said:

It’s far from young considered all the other things it’s costs me. How are you building a team after trading for him? One that you can say with absolute certainty, “this is a super bowl contender”.

The way every other Super Bowl team does it.

The problem with keeping Darnold is we are going to need a solid backup, because you can't go with Darnold and Mike White and James Morgan. You need to cover your tracks, much like how the Bears got Nick Foles to cover themselves with Mitchell Trubisky. 

And then the problem becomes no matter who you bring in to back up Darnold will likely outplay him, then what? It happened with Teddy Bridgewater and then it happened with Joe Flacco. 

So, if you bring in Cam Newton he will be our starter when we realize he is better than Darnold. Same with an Alex Smith. Same with Andy Dalton or Jacoby Brissett or whoever else is out there.

If we are not picking up his option, then why bother? Why not just cut the chord now? Otherwise, we will have a season just like the Bears did. Trubisky, then Foles, then back to Trubisky, and now they are seeking yet another "quarterback of the future".

And if you are all suggesting to pick up the fifth-year option, then I cannot get on board with that. That is the most disastrous of all ideas. We cannot commit to Darnold. He has shown nothing to suggest he has what it takes to be "the guy" moving forward.

We need to move on from the entire stench of the Gase era, including the QB.

5 minutes ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

If we are not picking up his option, then why bother? Why not just cut the chord now? Otherwise, we will have a season just like the Bears did. Trubisky, then Foles, then back to Trubisky, and now they are seeking yet another "quarterback of the future".

I agree with you. We should move on from Sam. But Chicago is not the best team to compare the situation. We have a new coaching staff with a new O being installed and we will improve our weapons to help whomever is under center. Sam will improve but not enough,IMO to justify extending him next season. 

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

I agree. And what helps is the amount of teams in bad cap.

I died laughing when I read Wilson being rumored to NO. They’re 66mill over the projected cap and are going to bring in a guy making 20mill on the cap this year? Ya ok.

Yup 100% correct. I think you will see some very shocking cuts that would NEVER take place but will beacsue of the cap drop and all those high price players. Some shock cuts 

Mike Thomas WR NO

Juilo Jones WR Atl

Von Miller Edge Den

Brandon Graham Edge Phi

Joe Haden CB Pitt

Anthony Barr LB Vikings (lol thanks for not signing with us.)

Tyron Smith LT DAL

19 minutes ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

The problem with keeping Darnold is we are going to need a solid backup, because you can't go with Darnold and Mike White and James Morgan. You need to cover your tracks, much like how the Bears got Nick Foles to cover themselves with Mitchell Trubisky. 

And then the problem becomes no matter who you bring in to back up Darnold will likely outplay him, then what? It happened with Teddy Bridgewater and then it happened with Joe Flacco. 

So, if you bring in Cam Newton he will be our starter when we realize he is better than Darnold. Same with an Alex Smith. Same with Andy Dalton or Jacoby Brissett or whoever else is out there.

And if you are all suggesting to pick up the fifth-year option, then I cannot get on board with that. That is the most disastrous of all ideas. We cannot commit to Darnold. He has shown nothing to suggest he has what it takes to be "the guy" moving forward.

We need to move on from the entire stench of the Gase era, including the QB.

I see your ponit but the Jets and Bears are really not the samething. Mitch never had the talent that Sam has first off. The next point is why do you have too sign is 5th year? Let him play it out and if he does great you sign him back to a long term deal. If he does the same you just let him go and move on. JD took this job beacsue he likes Sam. Saleh and JD must have talked about Sam a lot and I feel that they are on the same page with Sam. Also it is not a PROBLEM to sign a vet. All NFL teams want a good backup now beacsue the QB have been going down a lot. Having a good backup should always be on the list no matter who your QB is.