2021 FA and Trade Talks

JetsandI

3 hours ago, jetfuel34 said:

Mitch never had the talent that Sam has first off

The Bears had Robinson whom the Jets would live to have. They have Tarik Cohen. There OL is better than the Jets. I think Mitch had the better weapons and OL than Sam has ever had. 

2 hours ago, Phillenium said:

Nick Martin was just released by the Texans. Looks like he only allowed 1 sack last year. Maybe worth a look with McGovern's ability to switch over to guard.

What little I have read is that he a good pass blocker but less so in the run game. Regardless, sign him. As long as it not a replacement to signing Thuney or Lindsley. Sign Thuney AND Martin and forego iOL in the draft this year. 

22 hours ago, jetfuel34 said:

I see your ponit but the Jets and Bears are really not the samething. Mitch never had the talent that Sam has first off. The next point is why do you have too sign is 5th year? Let him play it out and if he does great you sign him back to a long term deal. If he does the same you just let him go and move on. JD took this job beacsue he likes Sam. Saleh and JD must have talked about Sam a lot and I feel that they are on the same page with Sam. Also it is not a PROBLEM to sign a vet. All NFL teams want a good backup now beacsue the QB have been going down a lot. Having a good backup should always be on the list no matter who your QB is. 

Yes, I agree. Backup quarterbacks are important. Let's just hope that this time we won't trade the backup QB away because we have to preserve Darnold's fragile psyche...or something.

I am still mad about the Bridgewater trade all these years later, because our plight could have been avoided and our current situation could have been a lot better. 

Make no mistake, if we keep Darnold then the veteran QB we sign will become the starter here. 

22 hours ago, ekill08x said:

What team that went 2-14 traded for a 32 year QB that also needed a new contract and then won a super bowl? Our roster is terrible. Enough with the Madden scenarios. This is real life. 

When was the last time a perennial also-ran signed a legendary 43-year-old quarterback and went on to win the Super Bowl? And yet, we just saw it happen. Stuff happens in sports.

My main point is, IF (huge if, and probably not even a long shot at this point, more like a miracle) Russell Wilson had interest in playing for us, we should not discount it immediately based solely on his age. Teams can be rebuilt quickly, especially in football.

11 minutes ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

When was the last time a perennial also-ran signed a legendary 43-year-old quarterback and went on to win the Super Bowl? And yet, we just saw it happen. Stuff happens in sports.

My main point is, IF (huge if, and probably not even a long shot at this point, more like a miracle) Russell Wilson had interest in playing for us, we should not discount it immediately based solely on his age. Teams can be rebuilt quickly, especially in football.

Let’s not act like his playing style is the same as these older QBs though. He doesn’t stand in the OL key and throw like TB and Brees. His game is being mobile. And that fades as he ages.

1 minute ago, Bobby816 said:

Let’s not act like his playing style is the same as these older QBs though. He doesn’t stand in the OL key and throw like TB and Brees. His game is being mobile. And that fades as he ages.

OK, but he is coming off arguably his best NFL campaign. So we are not talking about a Cam Newton situation here. 

There is a ton of football left in Russell Wilson, especially if he is reenergized after a trade.

53 minutes ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

OK, but he is coming off arguably his best NFL campaign. So we are not talking about a Cam Newton situation here. 

There is a ton of football left in Russell Wilson, especially if he is reenergized after a trade.

No way. Sorry. About 5 yrs too late on Wilson. Besides big ben hes the most beat up QB in the league. 

He isnt worth a trade, especially since we are so many pieces away from being competent 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

For sure. But I don’t think it’s smart to give up a huge package for a huge that could decline a ton in 2-4 years.

Investing that draft capital for a 32yr old just isn’t smart. It’s smart for a 25yr old QB