2021 FA and Trade Talks

JetsandI

1 hour ago, doumeyer said:

This does not surprised me all I just said last week I was not Optimistic about the upcoming FA period. I will say it again why would  any WR want to come to the Jets with our current QB problem? For us the draft should come before the FA market.

It’s not so much that we have a QB problem. Bc let’s keep in mind... most the league doesn’t think Darnold is the problem. It’s that we haven’t made it clear who is our QB. I feel like JD needs to make a stand pre 3/15 to be able to tell FAs who will be our guy. Are we rolling with Darnold and helping the offense? Are we drafting a QB at 2? Are we making a trade for a proven guy? For me these questions need to be answered before being FAs in to entice them to sign with us.

19 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

It’s not so much that we have a QB problem. Bc let’s keep in mind... most the league doesn’t think Darnold is the problem. It’s that we haven’t made it clear who is our QB. I feel like JD needs to make a stand pre 3/15 to be able to tell FAs who will be our guy. Are we rolling with Darnold and helping the offense? Are we drafting a QB at 2? Are we making a trade for a proven guy? For me these questions need to be answered before being FAs in to entice them to sign with us.

One day I wake up and I feel we are sticking with Darnold, the next day I feel he is going to draft a QB at #2. None of us have clue what he is going to do, and you are right that is a major PROBLEM, for the FA period.

50 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

One day I wake up and I feel we are sticking with Darnold, the next day I feel he is going to draft a QB at #2. None of us have clue what he is going to do, and you are right that is a major PROBLEM, for the FA period.

I don't think it is a major problem. You are only talking one position WR. I think the Jets draft a WR in the first round anyways. I alos think that most of the WR will be tagged or signed back to their team. Godwin will end back in Tampa, Golladay will be back with the Lions, Allen Robinson is the only one I might see go but the bears might tag him so it would end that. Now you look at guys like Watkins, Hilton and Davis as the next group. I think these guys can be had just by giving them a little more money. 

In terms of the DL if we stick to the Wide 9 front Saleh had in San Francisco how do we feel about signing Haason Reddick to a role strictly as a pass rusher. I dont think he wants anything to do with not being a full time EDGE but obviously he cannot play in base packages because he isn't good in coverage and can get washed up in the run game. I think he can play the Dee Ford role for us in Saleh's defense, finding the "Bosa" will be the hardest part obviously.

Base

DE- ?????? (Bosa)

DT- Quinnen(Buckner)

DT- Fatukasi

DE- Franklin-Myers(Armstead)

Sub Package

DE- ?????? (Bosa)

DT- Quinnen(Buckner)

DT- JFM(Armstead)

DE- Haason Reddick(Ford)

7 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

In terms of the DL if we stick to the Wide 9 front Saleh had in San Francisco how do we feel about signing Haason Reddick to a role strictly as a pass rusher. I dont think he wants anything to do with not being a full time EDGE but obviously he cannot play in base packages because he isn't good in coverage and can get washed up in the run game. I think he can play the Dee Ford role for us in Saleh's defense, finding the "Bosa" will be the hardest part obviously.

Base

DE- ?????? (Bosa)

DT- Quinnen(Buckner)

DT- Fatukasi

Sub Package

DE- ?????? (Bosa)

DT- Quinnen(Buckner)

DT- JFM(Armstead)

DE- Haason Reddick(Ford)

I think Soloman Thomas will be a jet and I would love to get big Cat Williams back. These 2 as the starting DE would be nice. 

On 2/28/2021 at 2:03 PM, xrade said:

Do you mean draft a QB at 2 but sign a vet to start?  I think we went over this and I agree. The question is was vet? I don’t really see to many out there that are going to win us games. Fitz would be my favorite so would Flacco. Dalton would be good if he can accept his role.

Well, yeah. Sort of, I guess. I am not a big fan of drafting another QB with a 2-3 pick and putting all that pressure on him right away. Then we will have an instant QB controversy, which is probably to be avoided in Year 1 of the Saleh era. But trade down, I like. Drafting Sewell at No. 2 and then picking a QB with Seattle's pick or an early 2nd, I also like. Possibly trade down first, then trade back up to ****** somebody like Lance if he slips a bit. Something like that. Bottom line, draft our eventual QB of the future but do not draft him at No. 2, and go with a veteran in Week 1.

Now, the guys you mentioned are fine. Fitz is much better today than he was when he left us (imo). The talent was always there, but he seems to be making smarter decisions now. Some guys take a boatload of time to develop that element of their game. Anyway, I would not say no to Fitzpatrick but I doubt he has any interest in returning here. I could be wrong. Flacco and Dalton don't seem like ideal fits for the type of offense we want to use under LaFleur (though again, I could be wrong about that). 

I would definitely be targeting Alex Smith and Cam Newton, and maybe see if Drew Brees has any interest in continuing his career somewhere other than New Orleans. It sounds like he wants to play, but I am not so sure that Payton and co. want him back. It almost seems like they made the decision to move on from Brees long ago. Brees is close to washed up now, but his leadership is undeniable for a franchise that has lacked it in spades for decades.  

Then there are the younger guys like Winston, Mariota and Brissett (and maybe Garoppolo), although those guys are probably not just holdovers. They don't make as much sense for us at this time. Teddy Bridgewater might be in a category all on his own, as he seems like either a bridge or a longer-term option (depending on the team, the offense, the circumstances, etc.). I have always liked Bridgewater and would take him back, but not my first choice.

2 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

People around the league can talk glowingly about Darnold all they want, those who watch football know...he is either completely out of his element in New York and needs a change of scenery desperately, or he is just another high first-round draft bust. I highly doubt there are too many people around the NFL who think he is the next Brett Favre or Drew Brees or Steve Young or some other legend who needed to leave to become the player they became. Just like nobody believes Jared Goff is suddenly going to become a superstar in Detroit, or that Mitchell Trubisky is going to elevate whatever team signs him as a free agent to become a perennial Pro Bowler.

That is the company Darnold keeps...the high-end draft pick that has fallen on hard times and is at a crossroads.

If Douglas, Saleh and co. need to make a quick decision on the QB because of the free agency situation, then the choice is simple...move on from Darnold.

However, moving on from Darnold may ultimately make landing a Watson or a R. Wilson a lot harder (unless either Houston or Seattle is sold on Zach Wilson, Justin Fields et al). 

We are in a bit of a pickle, no thanks to those two stupid late-season wins. Perhaps one day I will be able to get over it, but for now it is keeping me awake at night.

7 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Base

DE- ?????? (Bosa)

DT- Quinnen(Buckner)

DT- Fatukasi

Sub Package

DE- ?????? (Bosa)

DT- Quinnen(Buckner)

DT- JFM(Armstead)

DE- Haason Reddick(Ford)

I would throw money at Reddick, I like his ability to play all over the field and rush the passer. He could fall back to an OLB in the base scheme 

4 hours ago, jetfuel34 said:

I don't think it is a major problem. You are only talking one position WR. I think the Jets draft a WR in the first round anyways. I alos think that most of the WR will be tagged or signed back to their team. Godwin will end back in Tampa, Golladay will be back with the Lions, Allen Robinson is the only one I might see go but the bears might tag him so it would end that. Now you look at guys like Watkins, Hilton and Davis as the next group. I think these guys can be had just by giving them a little more money. 

Its not??? How are we going to get that top WR we need, it sure not going to happen in the draft, by the time we pick at 23 all the top receivers will be gone. A LOT of top offensive & defensive players will think twice before coming to a 2-14 team with QB questions. WE DO HAVE A MAJOR PROBLEM.

14 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

Its not??? How are we going to get that top WR we need, it sure not going to happen in the draft, by the time we pick at 23 all the top receivers will be gone. A LOT of top offensive & defensive players will think twice before coming to a 2-14 team with QB questions. WE DO HAVE A MAJOR PROBLEM.

Justin Jefferson was selected at 22 last year and he was the most productive rookie WR. Pittman selected in round 2 had a good year.

This WR class is on par with last years, at least in the first 2 rounds. There WILL be a good WR for us at 23 or 34.

How did last years can’t miss, Uber talented WR’s Jeudy and Ruggs do?  Don’t get me wrong, I think they will have good careers but you mustn’t assume that after the top 3 or 4 WR prospects are chosen that we won’t get a good or even better WR.  Personally, I think Bateman and Marshall are in the top 5 and will probably be there for us.