2021 FA and Trade Talks

JetsandI

1 hour ago, Bianconero said:

What do you mean? He's getting traded for sure

Playing devils advocate a bit.

We’re going QB at 2. I’d be shocked if we didn’t. It’s the logical move.

But, in that scenario, why not just keep Darnold since we ourselves would still need a backup or bridge QB? He’s on the books for $10M which is not awful for bridge QB. Assuming of course we aren’t offered a 2nd or better. In that case, yes trade him.

It’s the Teddy Bridgewater scenario. We traded him for a 3rd. But could have kept him and eased Darnold in.

Edited by SDotNova

5 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

But, in that scenario, why not just keep Darnold since we ourselves would still need a backup or bridge QB? He’s on the books for $10M which is not awful for bridge QB. Assuming of course we aren’t offered a 2nd or better. In that case, yes trade him.

Bc Darnold offers no knowledge to pass down to the rookie. A vet like Flacco is cheap. And trading him allows us to add draft picks to continue a rebuild. Even if its a 3rd and a conditional 2022 pick. That's better than losing him for nothing in another year. It also would eliminate the distraction of Darnold vs Rookie QB. 

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

Bc Darnold offers no knowledge to pass down to the rookie. A vet like Flacco is cheap. And trading him allows us to add draft picks to continue a rebuild. Even if its a 3rd and a conditional 2022 pick. That's better than losing him for nothing in another year. It also would eliminate the distraction of Darnold vs Rookie QB. 

Even Flacco didn’t make sense - he said he didn’t want to be a mentor, that’s why Denver let him go, they were rolling with Lock.  Darnold has to go, bring back McCown for all I care. 

That’s fair. The mentor bridge QB is a good idea. I don’t really see Darnold being the type to cause distraction. But I guess our media will do it regardless.

1 hour ago, SDotNova said:

It’s the Teddy Bridgewater scenario. We traded him for a 3rd. But could have kept him and eased Darnold in.

I was thinking about Marcus Mariota contract of about 12m AAV (2 years).  The way he has played all teams will think of him being back up with second shot.

Declining 5th year option and extending 2 more years of about 12m with performance bonuses should make him attractive for trade today.  Once contract extension is recognized affirmatively his trade value may improve.   Nobody will trade for Darnold the one year left on rookie contract as he may be subjected to be on waiver wire some time next season.

Espn or other sport site said that there are a several teams that may interest in acquiring him but they will fade away once his trade value is growing. Nobody bites it. Guaranteed.

2 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

That’s fair. The mentor bridge QB is a good idea. I don’t really see Darnold being the type to cause distraction. But I guess our media will do it regardless.

Yes when I said distraction... I didn't mean Darnold causing it. I meant the media harping on it. 

Thuney and Scherff are the x factors for us. We need 1 or both of them to hit FA and go big after 1 of them.

At WR I think there will be several options. Where at OG there wont be as many.

So while I think WR is a bigger need for us. I think the WR pool will be deeper. 

2 hours ago, SDotNova said:

0% chance

45 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

A mentor from 23 years old qb?

tenor.gif

You may have misread my post. I’m not suggesting keep Darnold to mentor Fields. I’m suggesting we could possibly keep him to be a bridge QB until Fields is ready. That doesn’t mean he has to mentor him.

25 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Thuney and Scherff are the x factors for us. We need 1 or both of them to hit FA and go big after 1 of them.

So while I think WR is a bigger need for us. I think the WR pool will be deeper. 

We have to back up the Brinks truck for one of them. We apparently went hard after Thuney last year. Let’s hope we actually get him this year. Otherwise that Seattle second will likely have to be used to address the guard spot.

Edited by SDotNova

You have to look at WR like there isn't enough money, snaps, need for all those tops guys to avoid us. I think that means we end up getting someone below market value as well.

1 hour ago, SDotNova said:

We have to back up the Brinks truck for one of them. We apparently went hard after Thuney last year. Let’s hope we actually get him this year. Otherwise that Seattle second will likely have to be used to address the guard spot.

If Thuney hits FA I think thats the first call Douglas makes.