2021 FA and Trade Talks

JetsandI

15 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Normally contracts these days like that make the player able to be cut after 2 years. But I do agree with you. I do think we tag him to by us some time before signing him to a longer deal.

What we do with our OGs will be interesting. Both Lewis and GVR should be cut. But if we don’t have for sure guys to replace them, we can’t really do that. I do expect us to resign Elf to make us able to cut 1 of them. We sign Thuney in FA... then we cut the other.

Yup I agree

Elf will resign and he can start or backup 3 spots like LG, RG, C. I really want to move on from GVR and Lewis. 

So Douglas is trying his best to keep Darnold's trade value at a reasonably high level. Saying things like he has "no doubt Darnold can reach his potential." But he is also saying he is fielding calls for him. This is good. 

It leads me to believe the organization is solidly thinking of moving on. We need to move on. Cut the chord, start over and pretend the Adam Gase era never existed.

49 minutes ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

But he is also saying he is fielding calls for him. This is good.

He will listen to offers about any player. That is his job. IIRC, he said he wanted to keep JA a Jet for life but the right package came along and poof. 

13 minutes ago, xrade said:

He will listen to offers about any player. That is his job. IIRC, he said he wanted to keep JA a Jet for life but the right package came along and poof. 

You always want this in a GM. You should listen to ever trade offer no matter what player is involved. 

The worrisome part of JDs press was them once again saying FA isn’t a priority. If we are in fact drafting a QB at 2... how are we getting that guy talent? We’ve failed our QBs for the last 20 years by giving them no talent. So what will change with a new QB if we aren’t willing to bring in the AR15, Godwin type guys to help that QB? Nothing.

If we are resetting the young QB clock... we have to change our approach on building around a QB. 

36 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

The worrisome part of JDs press was them once again saying FA isn’t a priority. If we are in fact drafting a QB at 2... how are we getting that guy talent? We’ve failed our QBs for the last 20 years by giving them no talent. So what will change with a new QB if we aren’t willing to bring in the AR15, Godwin type guys to help that QB? Nothing.

If we are resetting the young QB clock... we have to change our approach on building around a QB. 

I would not get to worked up over GM speak. Is there little doubt he will improve the OL via FA?  He wanted Thuney last year. Why would that change now?  As for WR, the big three may all get tagged so they may not even be an option. There are still others. I would also presume drafting a WR in round 1 or 2 will take place if we don’t get one of the big 3 WR. I further think he will get a FA TE. There are a few that won’t break the bank and offer better TE play. Same at RB with the added benefit that there will be a couple of 3rd round prospects that may offer good play.

The O will be upgraded to allow any QB to be successful. It will probably not be considered a “high octane” offense, but it will be good step in the right direction. 

4 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I’m patient but Joe has to understand that he’s not just communicating with the media during these press conferences but also fans and after last season even if he wants to go the value route he should at least say something along the lines of we’re going to be aggressive but patient and smart with our resources but if we identify a guy we like we’re going to do everything in our power to bring him here. That way if a player doesn’t sign with us at least it doesn’t look like we were cheap or passive.

14 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

I’m patient but Joe has to understand that he’s not just communicating with the media during these press conferences but also fans and after last season even if he wants to go the value route he should at least say something along the lines of we’re going to be aggressive but patient and smart with our resources but if we identify a guy we like we’re going to do everything in our power to bring him here. That way if a player doesn’t sign with us at least it doesn’t look like we were cheap or passive.

That’s fair. I happen to believe in actions and not words so I do not pay to much attention to what he says but what he does. 

Everyone has given JD the benefit of the doubt but his first year he produced the second worst team in the league. Can’t dress it up anymore than that. We can all blame Gase and the coaches but this year it’s all on JD. He’s picked Saleh and will have two full offseasons.

If I hear the BS about not the right market or anything of the kind then il go mad. We can’t pussyfoot around and hope we can get players in on cheap deals. We are the Jets. We’ve been out of the playoffs for over 10 years. After a few more cuts we will have over $90m in space so I hope we go out and invest heavily in FA. 

There’s a difference from giving a 33 year old a four year deal compared to a in prime 25-26 year old. 

14 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

No question this is key to all our offensive problems. You have to stop and think the last time we drafted a top WR or RB it has been so long I have to look it up. And how can FA players not be a priority. Two year in a row we have plenty of money to spend in the FA market, are we going come up short again this year?

18 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

No question this is key to all our offensive problems. You have to stop and think the last time we drafted a top WR or RB it has been so long I have to look it up. And how can FA players not be a priority. Two year in a row we have plenty of money to spend in the FA market, are we going come up short again this year?

We’ve been so bad. People think Enunwa and Shonn Greene were hits for us at those positions in the draft. That’s embarrassing