2021 FA and Trade Talks

JetsandI

2 hours ago, xrade said:

The question is will he get top talent or just a lot of “value” guys?  Chances are a bit of both but we really need talent and not just a bunch of bodies. 

Good question. I think we're going to aim for top talent and let the draft handle everything else. A top WR, IOL, and CB or DE. 

3 hours ago, xrade said:

The question is will he get top talent or just a lot of “value” guys?  Chances are a bit of both but we really need talent and not just a bunch of bodies. 

Value approach is always the best approach but obviously you have to pair that with drafting well and developing talent. 

• Like 1

For sure following what CHI does with AR15 in the next 24hrs. I hope they just let him walk. But I do think they might tag and trade him. Then I have no clue what it will cost to get him... but we need a guy like him. But ARa15 will command a ton of money. And I don't think JD values WR enough to do that. Which obviously I disagree with him on. 

26 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

For sure following what CHI does with AR15 in the next 24hrs. I hope they just let him walk. But I do think they might tag and trade him. Then I have no clue what it will cost to get him... but we need a guy like him. But ARa15 will command a ton of money. And I don't think JD values WR enough to do that. Which obviously I disagree with him on. 

Agree but I would add that it could also depend on what Saleh and LaFleur think. If JD has the working relationship with the coaches that we think he has he may listen to them and go against his mantra. If LaFleur convinces JD that having Robinson is necessary for development of a rookie QB or Sam, then JD may relent. Not saying he will vastly overspend but he may be willing to compromise. 

1 hour ago, xrade said:

Agree but I would add that it could also depend on what Saleh and LaFleur think. If JD has the working relationship with the coaches that we think he has he may listen to them and go against his mantra. If LaFleur convinces JD that having Robinson is necessary for development of a rookie QB or Sam, then JD may relent. Not saying he will vastly overspend but he may be willing to compromise. 

I’m torn on this. Bc JD did have to admit that he was wrong on penny pinching with Robby last year. And as we all saw, that hurt us bad. Does he learn from that? We will see. When you have young QBs... going cheap on OL and WR will ruin that QB as we all know

On 3/7/2021 at 9:02 PM, KingOfNewYork said:

Value approach is always the best approach but obviously you have to pair that with drafting well and developing talent. 

This is true and has been proven. But I will add that this approach is excellent when you have a team with few holes. We are not that team. We still need a lot of talent that will take a long time if we just relied on the draft. I am not suggesting going all in on 4 or 5 really good FA’s. But we should get at least two.  Imagine if we sign Henrickson and Linsley/Thuney. We could then draft a WR and CB/OLB at 23 and 34.  We would certainly add a “value” WR in FA and probably a TE and RB. Now this team is starting to look good. The following offseason we can add more value FA’s and less top money FA’s. We still have a number on high draft picks to further fill in the, hopefully, few holes and start getting those talented backups that can be brought along slowly to start when a contract comes up. Sustainable and good. That is our goal. 

For the last two years we have had a ton of money to spend on FA players, Last year was far from a success, and this year there is to many questions marks. The last nine years our record is 51 wins & 92 losses and that includes the 2015 season when we were 10 & 6.the  stars of that team we all FA & pick ups like Marshall who had over 1500 yards in pass receptions, Decker had over a 1000 yards is pass receptions & Chris Ivory who rushed for over 1000 Yards. And Fritz who passed a few yard short of 4000 yards passing with 31 td passes and 15 ints. You don't build a team thru FA Players you just hope to fill a couple of holes with good players. If we don't come up offensive help in the FA market this year it will affect jour draft picks.

On a side note I know you can't win a championship with Fitz., but he is the best backup QB in the history of the NFL, his numbers are insane his problem was INTS. I can't think of one backup who put up numbers like he did'.