2021 FA and Trade Talks

JetsandI

2 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

but quite frankly he didn’t do enough to be guaranteed a starting spot

Could it be that the excuses made for Sam could be used here as well?  Could it be that his QB was not good and the play calling even worse?  He was a rookie who only played half the season.

And nobody should be guaranteed a starting spot on a 2 - 14 team but they will be and Mims is just as deserving. 

2 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Thuney needs to be a priority. And I do think we bring back Elf. I know some are down on him. But I like him. Versatility to play C or G. And with the line being better as a whole... it makes everyone better. Becton, Thuney, McG, Elf, Fant is a good OL. Put a talented RB like Williams or Mack behind that and we have something. Then it’s just getting receiving weapons to keep defenses not able to just stack the box.

I LOVE Mims... but quite frankly he didn’t do enough to be guaranteed a starting spot. I wouldn’t put it past us to bring in a legit guy on the outside and then a guy to compete with Mims. Let the best man get snaps and if nothing else we are covered depth wise. Which killed us last year at WR.

Elf starting would be a huge disappointment starting the season.  I don't even want him on the roster let alone starting.  He's terrible don't care about his versatility.  I'd prefer to keep GVR over him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rockice_8 said:

Elf starting would be a huge disappointment starting the season.  I don't even want him on the roster let alone starting.  He's terrible don't care about his versatility.  I'd prefer to keep GVR over him.

This. I cant stress it enough how $#%@ing abysmal he is. 

23 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

I still don't understand Elf being abysmal.  Lightyears ahead of Alex Lewis and GVR.  Did very well with Aaron Donald.  Has played very well next to Becton.  I really don't get what you guys are seeing.  Is it some stupid PFF rating?

Idc about the rating (its horrible though). He would have 1 highlight reel play and then get blown up for several plays. I would be really disappointed if we didnt upgrade at RG. 

I'll admit I was pounding my fist on the table to draft him. I was pounding my fist on the table to pick him up on waivers. I understand why the Vikings cut him though. He can run block okay, but when it comes to pass blocking, I worry hes going to get our rookie QB killed. 

1 hour ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

I still don't understand Elf being abysmal.  Lightyears ahead of Alex Lewis and GVR.  Did very well with Aaron Donald.  Has played very well next to Becton.  I really don't get what you guys are seeing.  Is it some stupid PFF rating?

Being better than already average players doesn't mean we shouldn't try and get the best possible player at the spot. 

11 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

I think we get Samuel, use the whole Carolina brought in Robby because they thought he was better than you but we think you're better and we'll pay you more. 

Problem is he isn’t. And we have Crowder for the slot.

11 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

I think we get Samuel, use the whole Carolina brought in Robby because they thought he was better than you but we think you're better and we'll pay you more. 

Would love him, he’s young and can play the Deebo role in this offense. Would have to move on from crowder but I’m cool with that, Crowder is strictly a slot guy whil Samuels can play in the Slot, Backfield, out wide.

18 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

A Zeitler, Thuney OG combo sounds amazing.

It needs to happen. Legit no reason not to. Zeitler just played in NY so no need to move, Thuney wanted to come last offseason and obviously only moving from NE.

We allocated $12m or whatever it will cost for Thuney and by cutting Alex Lewis that money will probably secure Zeitler (if we need a few more dollars just cut GVR)

Bring back Elf for depth and we have ourselves a really good oline. We have Clarke and Edoga two young draft picks getting better and learning from some quality vets and that’s how you start the pipeline that good teams do on their oline. 

14 hours ago, xrade said:

Could it be that the excuses made for Sam could be used here as well?  Could it be that his QB was not good and the play calling even worse?  He was a rookie who only played half the season.

And nobody should be guaranteed a starting spot on a 2 - 14 team but they will be and Mims is just as deserving. 

Plus, I think the excuse is a little bit more valid when you don't have the ball in your hands all the time, as opposed to the quarterback. 

Mims is entering year 2. Darnold is entering year 4. 

I think it is perfectly logical to give Mims more time to prove himself as a starting wide receiver, and at the same time cut the chord on Darnold. 

If Mims was the fourth pick in the draft in 2018, it would definitely be time to move on. Heck, he wouldn't even be here anymore.

11 hours ago, ekill08x said:

Idc about the rating (its horrible though). He would have 1 highlight reel play and then get blown up for several plays. I would be really disappointed if we didnt upgrade at RG. 

I'll admit I was pounding my fist on the table to draft him. I was pounding my fist on the table to pick him up on waivers. I understand why the Vikings cut him though. He can run block okay, but when it comes to pass blocking, I worry hes going to get our rookie QB killed. 

I'm OK with whatever they decide to do with the interior of the O line. I assume both Lewis and Van Roten will be gone. I also assume they will bring in one high-priced guard and likely keep Elflein at the other spot. I would also be OK with bringing in two free agent guards. But I think giving a 26-year-old lineman another chance is not a terrible idea. He was a good prospect and he still has time to get it together...ESPECIALLY under a new coaching staff in a new offense.