2021 FA and Trade Talks

JetsandI

15 minutes ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

I think we should take advantage of the fact New England might not be hugely improved.

Then again, they are getting back eight guys who did not play last season and have already added Trent Brown. 

This is not the time to sleep on the Pats. 

The Pats are trash. They are really in a hard spot. BB wants to win now and not rebuild because he is to old to wait around. He oly has 2 maybe 3 more years in him. The team is older and don't have a good track record of draft picks. BB has missed several times on his first round pick and a lot on his second round picks. Now you add guys that have had a year off what will they be like coming back to BB hard nose camp. The best move for the pats is to move on from BB because players went to the Pats for Tom not BB. The pats will struggle to get FA in because these NFL players don't want that hard butt guy on them 24/7.

14 minutes ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

I think we should take advantage of the fact New England might not be hugely improved.

Then again, they are getting back eight guys who did not play last season and have already added Trent Brown. 

This is not the time to sleep on the Pats. 

This all true but they are also not the Pats of yesteryear. It is quite obvious that Brady made that team on O. They could get WR’s in FA that failed on their previous team but were stars with Tom (Welker at al). When the WR left the Pats the were not nearly as good (Brown et al). They are getting Trent but most likely losing Thuney. They will need top FA WR’s and/or expend high draft picks on WR. The running game sans Cam is nothing to speak of.

Bill is a defensive genius. Most of the players coming back are on D, IIRC. Their D is not the issue but the O needs a huge upgrade that most likely will not be accomplished in one year.

I won’t sleep on the Pats based on history but I do not worry about them as much as I used to. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Could see all those outside of Neal. No way we Tag Maye and then pay an outsider top Safety money. 

Maybe I’m underestimating how much Neal will get paid. I’m thinking Neal will have to take a 1 yr deal in the $4 million range. If that’s optimistic, then I don’t see it either.

But I do think we look for a box safety, if not in FA, then in the draft in mid rounds. Maye’s best position is FS. Same with Davis.

Edited by SDotNova
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, KingOfNewYork said:

If he's played 19 games in 3 years why are we even signing him lol

Potential first and foremost. He’s still young (26 at the start of the season) and his highs are high. He’s also familiar with the scheme and allows Maye to play FS.

It has to be a good price though. 

35 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

Potential first and foremost. He’s still young (26 at the start of the season) and his highs are high. He’s also familiar with the scheme and allows Maye to play FS.

It has to be a good price though. 

We don’t even know what type of coverage we’ll be using on the backend. Saleh hasn’t been exclusively Cover 3 the last 2 years, Ulbrich has but teams have caught on to how to beat that. I’d pass on Neal, I want versatility in our Safeties. Maye/Davis are here and I’d bring back McDougald as well. 

I know a lot of people dont like what JD did last year in free agency but think about this way, none of his decisions last year in FA are having a negative impact on the team this year and that's always valuable when it comes to team building. 

I'd sign Desir 10/10 times over Trumaine Johnson

However I wouldn't let a guy we developed go over 2M, I'd find a way to make it work but that wouldn't preclude me from bringing in others. We should have never chose between Robby and Perriman. We needed both. 

56 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

I know a lot of people dont like what JD did last year in free agency but think about this way, none of his decisions last year in FA are having a negative impact on the team this year and that's always valuable when it comes to team building. 

I'd sign Desir 10/10 times over Trumaine Johnson

However I wouldn't let a guy we developed go over 2M, I'd find a way to make it work but that wouldn't preclude me from bringing in others. We should have never chose between Robby and Perriman. We needed both. 

He’s got an opportunity to really get this squad improved massively this year though. I’m not talking throwing lots of money and long deals at older vets but there’s so many guys around the 24-27 year age mark who could be solid contributors to the future success of this team. 

Guys like Carl Lawson, Corey Davis, Julian Okawara, Trey Hendrickson, Joe Thuney, Shaquill Griffin, Aaron Jones. All guys you don’t mind spending a little more on as they are young enough to see out a 4 or 5 year deal. 

30 minutes ago, xenajets said:

He’s got an opportunity to really get this squad improved massively this year though. I’m not talking throwing lots of money and long deals at older vets but there’s so many guys around the 24-27 year age mark who could be solid contributors to the future success of this team. 

Guys like Carl Lawson, Corey Davis, Julian Okawara, Trey Hendrickson, Joe Thuney, Shaquill Griffin, Aaron Jones. All guys you don’t mind spending a little more on as they are young enough to see out a 4 or 5 year deal. 

They also have to wanna be here, players chase money 99% of the time so just because we have money doesn't mean we should just try and buy our way into contention. Like there's no way Aaron Jones should be on this team next year with the money he'll command. Bell taught us that. We got more out Gore on the minimum than Bell on a big money deal.

52 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

They also have to wanna be here, players chase money 99% of the time so just because we have money doesn't mean we should just try and buy our way into contention. Like there's no way Aaron Jones should be on this team next year with the money he'll command. Bell taught us that. We got more out Gore on the minimum than Bell on a big money deal.

Yeah that’s why I feel comfortable spending good money on the younger vets. I personally wouldn’t spend that type of money on a running back either i as just using Jones as an example.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, xenajets said:

Mostly all good names. I would throw Lindsley in there as well. If JD is smart, he needs to weigh how well the position ages vs the length of the contract vs potential cap space in the next couple of years.

52 minutes ago, xrade said:

Mostly all good names. I would throw Lindsley in there as well. If JD is smart, he needs to weigh how well the position ages vs the length of the contract vs potential cap space in the next couple of years.

Yeah I think we can’t be just ignoring guys with bigger prices because we want to ‘build through the draft’. Like we can still make smart splashes in FA bug at guys who will more than likely play out their deals not 30 year olds been given 5yr contracts. 

2 hours ago, xenajets said:

Yeah I think we can’t be just ignoring guys with bigger prices because we want to ‘build through the draft’. Like we can still make smart splashes in FA bug at guys who will more than likely play out their deals not 30 year olds been given 5yr contracts. 

You can sign free agents based off of your projected time of contention. No reason to hand out long term deals if we don’t see contention for 2 years out. About time we’re ready to go those contracts will be albatross and we won’t be able to fill holes we might have and we’ll end up cutting those guys. I think most players realize next year there will be way more money out there so I think we see tons of 1 year prove It deals.

5 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

You can sign free agents based off of your projected time of contention. No reason to hand out long term deals if we don’t see contention for 2 years out. About time we’re ready to go those contracts will be albatross and we won’t be able to fill holes we might have and we’ll end up cutting those guys. I think most players realize next year there will be way more money out there so I think we see tons of 1 year prove It deals.

That’s the thing though could we not contend now? Like with a healthy investment in free agency and JD hitting in his early draft picks could we really not be looking at hitting .500 and trying to get one of those extra playoff places?

I didn’t feel blown away watching games around the league and thinking ‘oh we are nowhere near this level’. Last year was horrible with injuries and the lack of quality anyway and we still could of had 4/5 wins plus there was a couple of other games that were close enough to where you think we could be beating these teams if we added more quality and better coaching.