2021 FA and Trade Talks

7 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

You can sign free agents based off of your projected time of contention.

It is not just about contention but also player development. Case in point, our iOL was not very good last year. We know we need 2. Protecting our young QB should be a priority so he can learn and grow. If we spend more to sign a top end iOL it is not so much about whether he will be there when we are playoff bound but rather being a key piece to help with the growth of the younger players. We could then draft a young iOL to compete for the other spot or sign a lower level FA and take one a little later to compete.  Now our OL is set for that young QB.  In couple of years when the older guy is done, replace him with a draft pick.  You could also use WR in this scenario.

Football is one of the ultimate team sports. 

59 minutes ago, Dr.O said:

What time does the fun start tomorrow 

all i found was march 15-17 is the "legal tampering" period.  i assume it starts at midnight?  don't forget - the jets got burned by Barr during the tampering period - nothing is set in stone until pen is to paper on 3/17!

3 hours ago, xrade said:

It is not just about contention but also player development. Case in point, our iOL was not very good last year. We know we need 2. Protecting our young QB should be a priority so he can learn and grow. If we spend more to sign a top end iOL it is not so much about whether he will be there when we are playoff bound but rather being a key piece to help with the growth of the younger players. We could then draft a young iOL to compete for the other spot or sign a lower level FA and take one a little later to compete.  Now our OL is set for that young QB.  In couple of years when the older guy is done, replace him with a draft pick.  You could also use WR in this scenario.

To add to this point, professional sports are hard enough without projections about when you may be contenders. To waste time trying to figure out when exactly this team will get good is meaningless.

Change the culture. Bring in talent. Develop the talent you already have. Let the chips fall where they may.

1 hour ago, Heymangold said:

all i found was march 15-17 is the "legal tampering" period.  i assume it starts at midnight?  don't forget - the jets got burned by Barr during the tampering period - nothing is set in stone until pen is to paper on 3/17!

Best thing that ever happened to us. Wish Mosley did too.

• Like 1

Yes at 4pm Monday a handshake can be made and then signed on March 17. Look for Watson to be moved VERY soon. i think he is moved tonight or early tomorrow morning. If they hold onto him longer than this teams will not pay a high price because most teams will be all set at the top. Atlanta can go with Ryan and the Panthers can go with Bridgewater again. 

7 hours ago, xrade said:

We sign GVR and drafted Clark in the 4th. GVR plays year 1, the hope is Clark develops and takes over the next season and we cut GVR and allocate the cap elsewhere. If Clark isn't ready to go yet you keep GVR at his modest deal and get ready for contingencies if Clark doesn't pan out. 

2 hours ago, jetfuel34 said:

Yes at 4pm Monday a handshake can be made and then signed on March 17. Look for Watson to be moved VERY soon. i think he is moved tonight or early tomorrow morning. If they hold onto him longer than this teams will not pay a high price because most teams will be all set at the top. Atlanta can go with Ryan and the Panthers can go with Bridgewater again. 

Apparently it’s noon.  So the gossip can start a bit earlier.

2 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

We sign GVR and drafted Clark in the 4th. GVR plays year 1, the hope is Clark develops and takes over the next season and we cut GVR and allocate the cap elsewhere. If Clark isn't ready to go yet you keep GVR at his modest deal and get ready for contingencies if Clark doesn't pan out. 

My point is that GVR will be a weak link. If we have a rookie QB, first and foremost is to have a good OL. He will play better, learn quicker, and gain confidence. We can sign a good iOL in FA like Thuney or Lindsley. Yes they will cost a little more but it will be worth it in this situation. We can also sign a mid level OG and/or spend a day 2 pick. Now we have a decent line. If we had a vet QB it would not nearly as critical. 

18 minutes ago, Dr.O said:

Jeremy Fowler saying we’re interested in Kendrick Bourne. Would love this move, experience in the offense and an ascending young player

Me too. The negative nancys on here will slam it but its a solid addition. 

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, Dr.O said:

Jeremy Fowler saying we’re interested in Kendrick Bourne. Would love this move, experience in the offense and an ascending young player

21 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

Me too. The negative nancys on here will slam it but its a solid addition. 

It would be a strange signing though. We have a solid ascending #2 receiver in Mims. We have a quality slot receiver in Crowder. Would Bourne be the #4 option or would he be the #1 receiver we need?  

6 minutes ago, xenajets said:

It would be a strange signing though. We have a solid ascending #2 receiver in Mims. We have a quality slot receiver in Crowder. Would Bourne be the #4 option or would he be the #1 receiver we need?  

I think we move on from Crowder, can save us 10.5 mill and we’ll probably sign another WR too(hopefully Curtis Samuel). Personally think Crowder is severely overrated by us, he’s a good slot WR don’t get me wrong but he’s strictly a slot guy and personally think playing in a slot oriented system like Gase’s helped him.