NFLPA President JC Tretter calls for permanent end of offseason programs

pwny

1 hour ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

This is... kind of a good point. 

Agreed. I think the thing that mostly matters would be ensuring that they have ample time for their training camp. As opposed to mini camps, just give them a longer training camp. Gives guys longer time to vacation, while simultaneously giving them more time to ramp up on the other end for the OL and DBs.

Guys performed well, now its just about finding ways to keep more guys healthy from within the first few weeks of the season. Though I’d keep rookie mini-camps. Get young guys within the organization as soon as possible so they know the organizational standards.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, patriotsheatyan said:

All we need is worse technique and more players out of position...

Yeah, we saw it with the lockout and, without looking at the numbers, it definitely seems like we’re seeing it now. Football’s more of a mental sport that relies on chemistry (while also being physically demanding) than probably any other. 

Repetitions and practice aren’t a bad thing for the sport.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, D82 said:

I'd really be interested to see the number of injuries vs. the decline the offseason workouts over the years. Maybe include missed tackles and other performance measures in there as well.

Worth noting guys are getting bigger and faster as well. Case and point? Mekhi Becton. And we all know that mass × acceleration = hurt

2 hours ago, INbengalfan said:

I would say they need to be able to expand contact practices in the preseason. but not in spring mini camps

I'd agree, but somehow I doubt the NFLPA would agree to that trade-off, especially the bit about increasing the number of contact practices

Would this take away Training Camp...? That would be the dumbest thing ever. Basketball is 82 games and Baseball 162, they don't need camps.

Plus football is a sport where two units of 11 players need to practice together and learn the playbook together.

Edited by BayRaider

12 minutes ago, Xenos said:

So he wants more injuries?

He’s the head of the union and likely:

1. Speaking for all of the players and not himself

2. Using this as a negotiating starting point for salary, benefits, practice caps, etc.

I could be wrong, but I thought OTA’s + stuff outside of training camp was just more of building a bond between guys and establishing camaraderie. With social media and the business deals these guys do in the offseason, it’s not as important as it was in previous generations.

I think you need only 2 things to stay:

1. Rookie camps. Only because you can use this time to help rookies adjust to nfl life and learn nfl playbooks.

2. Training camp. This is a “no duh.”

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

There has been a copious amount of injuries this season. How is some of that not due to a lack of an off-season program?

Exactly. One of the worse things that could happen to the NFL was the CBA change in 2011 cutting practices down. It led to more injuries.

Now maybe there’s a way around this by making practices more efficient to help conditioning, and utilizing more sports science for injury issues especially for the soft tissue variety. But as it is, I don’t think using 2020 is a good example of what to do going forward.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, titansNvolsR#1 said:

Is there any actual data to support this? 

I think the way the season played out speaks for itself. I think the lack of conditioning and more injuries has been pretty evident, especially early on. But that's just an opinion. I haven't done the statistical analysis