2021 Patriots Draft

m haynes

Ha, I think I would be one of the only people happy with that (they would need to offer more than that for it to be worth though.. maybe add a 3rd/4th or something). 

GM and Zaven Collins at 25 would be a heck of a day 1 for me. 

I'll note that I would still want a QB to be taken in the draft even if that were to happen. I think he COULD turn into Ryan Tannehill.. but i'm not 100% counting on it. I would still want Trask / Mond / someone else to develop behind him 

6 minutes ago, Crimmage said:

Ha, I think I would be one of the only people happy with that (they would need to offer more than that for it to be worth though.. maybe add a 3rd/4th or something). 

GM and Zaven Collins at 25 would be a heck of a day 1 for me. 

I'll note that I would still want a QB to be taken in the draft even if that were to happen. I think he COULD turn into Ryan Tannehill.. but i'm not 100% counting on it. I would still want Trask / Mond / someone else to develop behind him 

I think he's better than RT who has Henry to save his butt. The only way they take Mond is that they can help him to be  accurate. He will be a washout if they can't fix this major problem with his game.

Mond comes to mind primarily because of how much emphasis they put on the Senior Bowl last season. Not having a combine / typical offseason with Covid I think they will put a heavy emphasis on the senior bowl week / game. 

I say Tannehill primarily because I think that's a scheme that BB will want to go with for the future. Strong run game with heavy play action passing, which is an area that both of them excel. With a strong defense, good running game and play makers on the outside you can win a super bowl with a Tannehill level player. It wont be easy going against the Mahomes of the world, you'll need your defense to be great but I think you can do it. 

That's also why I think BB will put a heavy emphasis on finding at least one young LB/DL/CB to help be foundation pieces going forward. If Micah Parsons is somehow available BB will forget QB exists and draft him.. if they trade back a few spots in the 1st then I think Zaven Collins is highly likely to be the pick as well.

2 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

I think he'll go CB at 15, I really do. 

If Surtain / Farley are there.. you very well could be right. Especially if Gilmore gets traded before the draft. 

I'm not convinced either will be available at 15 though, I think you'd have to trade up. Parsons may be more likely to be available given his year off and character concerns. 

1 hour ago, Crimmage said:

If Surtain / Farley are there.. you very well could be right. Especially if Gilmore gets traded before the draft. 

I'm not convinced either will be available at 15 though, I think you'd have to trade up. Parsons may be more likely to be available given his year off and character concerns. 

You reckon? I hope so...

I think at least one of the 3 are there. Possibly 2 given how many QBs and WR will go

7 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

I think he'll go CB at 15, I really do. 

You could be right. The draft so call experts are now saying 5 QBs could be taken higher than 15 that pushes down great players. Your looking at Parson, Surtain and Farley.  you have to figure Dallas goes for one of the CBs.

Shet I should of read further. Basically what @crimm said

Edited by m haynes
  • Like 2

The interesting thing is that top two rounds DB is pretty stacked too. 

The biggest area of weakness in this draft imo is LB. That's a major need on this team given Hightowers age. 

It would be a major success story if this offseason you can get your QB's of the future on offense and defense. Researching more I can def see why people have fallen in love with Parsons / Collins.

14 hours ago, Crimmage said:

The interesting thing is that top two rounds DB is pretty stacked too. 

The biggest area of weakness in this draft imo is LB. That's a major need on this team given Hightowers age. 

It would be a major success story if this offseason you can get your QB's of the future on offense and defense. Researching more I can def see why people have fallen in love with Parsons / Collins.

Parsons was my first love of this entire class

Now I am seeing Collins too...

I'd be over the moon if we got one of these

2 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Parsons was my first love of this entire class

Now I am seeing Collins too...

I'd be over the moon if we got one of these

Why am I Leaning more to Collins? Even I'm not sure

Some of the things that turn in his favor. He's more of a middle guy. He's really big (6'4 260) for someone  that's moves like he does.  He fits better with BB (history) defense. He's smart and reads the field.

Some thing that I here sways me in Collins direction.  Parsons has major baggage which if true, would be hard for me to root for him.  Some say the strength of his game is sideline to sideline as well CAN play in the middle.

Maybe this is easier Colins is  better in the middle (do your job thing ) and Parson can play middle with S to S range. If we have guys that can set the edge that leaves Collin to shore up the middle.

I see Big Willie when I look at ZC.

Edited by m haynes

I admittedly didn't look at Parsons or Collins much because I was so focused on offense and hearing the LB depth in this draft were trash. But from what I've seen so far here is some info on them: 

Micah Parsons: 

• Opted out this year, which I have a feeling BB won't draft any of these guys
  • I believe multiple off field issues, including a hazing incident at school ( may lack leadership qualities BB desires?)
  • Seen projected anywhere from 6-15
  • Compared to peak Jamie Collins by some evaluators 
  • 6'3 245lb
  • Sideline to Sideline athleticism is ELITE which is why many see him as a top 10 guy
  • Doesn't seem to be a big run stopper, more of a pass rusher who wants to be around the football .. but he athletically should be able to do it all      
  • BB would def use him all over the defense given how athletic he is 

Zaven Collins

• Didn't opt out of 2020
  • Projected anywhere from 20-32 from what I've seen 
  • 6'4 260lb (Dont'a Hightower is 6'3 260lb as a comparison)
  • high school QB and LB which BB would probably like
  • Versatile player as well, profile reference his ability to drop into coverage, rush the passer as well as stop the run.

If you want either one, I think BB would have to take them at 15. I'm not sure you could risk trading back into the 20's and still get Collins. You 100% couldn't trade back and still get Parsons, but I think BB will more highly rate Collins than Parsons given his opt out/off field issues. Collins seems like an ideal Hightower replacement, even better when you can have Hightower still here for a year to help him transition to the NFL. 

The really interesting decision will be if they are sitting at 15 and you have top CB and LBs still on the board. I feel like CB is the more important position but Patriots were decimated at LB, so if players grade out the same you may want to go LB. 

The more I watch Amari Rodgers the more I want this team to draft him.

He isn't going to be a pure burner but he can make plays. My initial concern was that he would only be a slot receiver at the next level and we wouldn't have any place for Meyers.. but the more I see his highlights the more I think he could be the next Deion Branch. 

How is this guy projected to be picked in the 3rd/4th round!? He seems like a Hunter Renfrow type no brainer for the Patriots.. hopefully they actually draft him. 

You'd still probably need at least one competent taller WR but I think he would do really well with the Pats and be a steal in the 3rd round. 

4 hours ago, Crimmage said:

The more I watch Amari Rodgers the more I want this team to draft him.

He isn't going to be a pure burner but he can make plays. My initial concern was that he would only be a slot receiver at the next level and we wouldn't have any place for Meyers.. but the more I see his highlights the more I think he could be the next Deion Branch. 

How is this guy projected to be picked in the 3rd/4th round!? He seems like a Hunter Renfrow type no brainer for the Patriots.. hopefully they actually draft him. 

You'd still probably need at least one competent taller WR but I think he would do really well with the Pats and be a steal in the 3rd round. 

Kiss of death. " hopefully they actually draft him." He's better than HR. He killed it at the SR Bowl he's a 2nd RD pick,early 3rd.  That what we need in this offense.