2021 Patriots Draft

m haynes

4 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

15: TRADE - 15th overall + 46th overall + 2022 2nd round pick to Atlanta

moved to 4th: Zach Wilson, QB

I would trade for a QB every time. Overpay (within reason) if I have too.  2nd round picks only have 50% rate of success and trading a future 1st is like buying on credit.  A+. 

I wanted to note, I hate Lance however I would be thrilled with the type of move no matter what QB they take. . Go get the QB.

43; Walker Little, T (considered one of the best players, not just tackles, in football in 2018. It's a Gronk-like pick. Robbery in the 2nd round)

I hate this move. There are several  OL in the 2nd that are highly rated. Why role the "Easley" dice when you don't need to. I love when SW does this, if it blows up in there face who cares they are right back the next night in the makeup room preparing a story on how the Pats blew it picking a injured player again!!!

120; Marlon Tuipulotu, DT (Lawrence Guy comp)

Laugh, I would take him in the 7th rd. He is 6'3 305 body thats it. He was horrible at the SR bowl. Draft hype prospect. Here you will see why its a bad pick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4jF4ds-3DI

139; Hunter Long, TE

145; Shi Smith, WR

I will be shocked it these two make it to the 4th RD.

Smith in the 4th tells me two things,  Perry doesn't know crap or the draft is so loaded with  WR he goes in the 4th. I'll go with Phil "Mariota " Perry doesn't know crap!

PS Andy Hart made a great point to Perry last night.  Why would you want MM,  I would rather go with Stid. Reason, he plays well and you have your QB or he stinks and you are drafting in the Top 10. MM doesn't move the needle and you are stuck again picking in the middle of the pack. Perry blood started to boil than he spits out MM stats why he's better than we think. Harts response "eye test".  I was cracking up, Perry you should of saw your face!!!!!

MM numbers are based on HENRY being in the back field.

Edited by m haynes

MM is fine as a bridge guy the same way a bunch of these other QBs are fine as bridge guys. 

The difference is if you trade for MM you are giving up a pick and if he plays all season you're paying him almost 20 million. You can find much cheaper options to do the same thing. 

People see his age and assume he could be the future, I don't see it personally. I'd rather go in a different direction ( even start the rookie from day 1 and put that 10+ million into a WR / TE / OL to help the rookie)

1 hour ago, Crimmage said:

MM is fine as a bridge guy the same way a bunch of these other QBs are fine as bridge guys. 

The difference is if you trade for MM you are giving up a pick and if he plays all season you're paying him almost 20 million. You can find much cheaper options to do the same thing. 

People see his age and assume he could be the future, I don't see it personally. I'd rather go in a different direction ( even start the rookie from day 1 and put that 10+ million into a WR / TE / OL to help the rookie)

Exactly Crimm  I just don't get it. How can anyone want MM. He stinks and he will cost you valuable assets to DO NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had to comeback.

Can he take you to the SB, Nooooooooo, Can he take you to the playoffs Noooooooooooo and can he win the division, Noooooooooooooooooooo ! Than what are we doing (TV) Boston Sports Experts. Frigging MM, please.

Edited by m haynes

https://youtu.be/yHaafVQoMO4

I don't have a good opinion on Gregory Rousseau however I might have missed part of his game that did not stand out when I first looked at him.  I thought he was over hyped and his skills on the outside lacked at the next level.

Now  I see him on the inside on passing downs and he dominates. He has the size to take on OL and is fast and quick to blow by them.  Makes it look easy.  He's a nightmare on the inside and he could develop on the outside with coaching.  Inside you better double team him or he will blow up the play. 

Its funny this is a major part of his game and I have yet to see anyone mention this part of his game. I have heard he can go inside that's it. How about if he's inside he's nearly impossible to stop without a double team.

Check out this mock.  I don't see Jets trading to Pats however man this has some great moves with some great picks and some that I hate.

https://www.patspulpit.com/2021/2/23/22290365/nfl-mock-draft-patriots-quarterback-trade-sam-darnold

Love

• WR ---   Rondale Moore, Shi Smith , Josh Palmer
  • D  ---- Nick Bolton , Tyler Shelvin, Israel Mukuamu

Hate

• QB ---- Jamie Newman
  • RB ---- Javian Hawkins

I thought this was well thought out (trades) and it made me smile when I saw the haul of quality players. Lets say that this is better than 99.9% of the mocks done on the net.

1 hour ago, m haynes said:

Check out this mock. 

I like that it feels realistic for the most part ( yay trade backs forever!) 

• Only way Jets trade within division is if NOBODY wants him.. Bears / 49ers / Panthers / etc. would probably be interested for this same price
  • That's A LOT more than I expected the Jets to get for him ( which the poster states.. I would expect a 2nd to get it done alone)
  • I'm all for LB in the first if it's a top guy, I think Collins could be legit so I'd be happy with that
  • 10% or less chance that Moore is available that late.. so many people had him 25-35.. to fall to 53 seems very optimistic
  • Shelvin good pick, I think that's around where he would go too and is a huge need
  • Keep the OL in the 6th round, that's where we have been lucky ;) 
  • No way smith in the 4th.. so many WR this year tho so maybe it's possible
  • Newman in the 4th is way too early.. I think he is a 6th rounder

Idk anything about the rest of the names but overall it's solid.. especially getting the future pick

A trade up mock

This comes from Pats pulpit guys. What do you think?

NE trades S. Gilmore to Arizona for their 49th overall pick (they just lost PP)

- Trade 15th overall, 46th overall and 2022 1st round pick to Cincinnati for the 5th overall pick and 6th round pick*, 5th overall; Zach Wilson, QB, BYU

- 2:49; Jabrill Cox, LB, LSU (coverage LB)

- Trade 3:96 and 4:145 to Philadelphia for 3:70 to pick; Jevon Holland, CB, OR (met with him virtually, 20 picks in 2 years, ball hawk, 6'2)

- Trade 120 and a 5th to Atlanta to move up to 110 to pick; Tommy Tremble, TE, ND (in line blocker, good on edge, potential to be deadly up seam) 

- 4th round; D'Wayne Eskridge, WR, WM

- 5th round; Amari Rodgers, WR, CLEM

* these trades happen: 4 trades in the last 3 drafts from outside top 10 into the top 10. KC traded 27, 91 snd following 1st to BUF to move to 10th overall (Mahomes). Buffalo traded 12, 53 and 56 to TB for 7th overall (Allen). Arizona traded 15, 79 and 152 to Oakland for 10th overall (Rosen). Pittsburgh traded 20, 52, following year 3rd for Bush.

** The issue there may be that Cinci are locked on Sewell. But Miami may take him at 2nd, good tackles available at 15

Edited by Hunter2_1

14 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

A trade up mock

I think you have to love it for Wilson alone.. but overall super unrealistic but fun mock..If it worked out this way it would be a home run draft imo. I'm assuming they just didn't do the 6th/7th rounds? That's where you could see some OL drafted. 

You would hope in this scenario that BB heavily invested in the DL through free agency.. otherwise we will see another year of getting dominated on the ground. 

I agree that Bengals are going to want to take a LT.. who do they have the Jets / Dolphins/Falcons taking to make this happen? I assume Jets take Fields, Miami and Atlanta take a WR/LT forcing Bengals to want to trade back and not reach for the next available LT 

• Would be amazing to get Wilson for so little
  • Cox I think goes later than this.. but I could certainly see BB making that pick. He would continue to add to the injection of speed to LB
  • Idk anything about Holland but I would be fine with a DB here
  • HATE the idea of Tremble.. too much like a slightly better Keene.. don't need another young TE unless the are elite. I would much rather this be DT / DE personally as the run defense is a massive need that isn't addressed 
  • Eskridge this late is a steal .. you probably need to scheme him open but with the ball in his hands this guy is a huge home run threat
  • Rodgers in the 5th!? wow this would be another steal imo, he's going to be a solid Wr for years to come

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

A trade up mock

NE trades S. Gilmore to Arizona for their 49th overall pick (they just lost PP)

- Trade 15th overall, 46th overall and 2022 1st round pick to Cincinnati for the 5th overall pick and 6th round pick*, 5th overall; Zach Wilson, QB, BYU

- 2:49; Jabrill Cox, LB, LSU (coverage LB)

- Trade 3:96 and 4:145 to Philadelphia for 3:70 to pick; Jevon Holland, CB, OR (met with him virtually, 20 picks in 2 years, ball hawk, 6'2)

- Trade 120 and a 5th to Atlanta to move up to 110 to pick; Tommy Tremble, TE, ND (in line blocker, good on edge, potential to be deadly up seam) 

- 4th round; D'Wayne Eskridge, WR, WM

- 5th round; Amari Rodgers, WR, CLEM

* these trades happen: 4 trades in the last 3 drafts from outside top 10 into the top 10. KC traded 27, 91 snd following 1st to BUF to move to 10th overall (Mahomes). Buffalo traded 12, 53 and 56 to TB for 7th overall (Allen). Arizona traded 15, 79 and 152 to Oakland for 10th overall (Rosen). Pittsburgh traded 20, 52, following year 3rd for Bush.

** The issue there may be that Cinci are locked on Sewell. But Miami may take him at 2nd, good tackles available at 15

Hunter Do you have the link. I want to see the whole mock

Here's my 1st attempt. The picks I would make.

• 1st round. 15th overall.   ------------------   Mac Jones   QB
  • 2nd round. 47th overall. ------------------- Terrace Marshall Jr. WR
  • 3rd round (compensatory pick). -----------  Landon Dickerson OG/C
  • 4th round. 110th overall. ------------------   Tyler Shelvin  NT
  • 4th round (compensatory pick). ----------    Andre Cisco  S
  • 4th round (compensatory pick). ----------    Kelvin Joseph CB
  • 5th round. 142nd overall.   ----------------    Shi Smith WR
  • 6th round. 171st overall (via Cowboys). ----   Anthony Schwartz WR
  • 6th round. 173rd overall.Anthony Schwartz --  Tre’ McKitty TE,
  • 7th round. 205th overall. ---------------------  Chris Evans RB

55 minutes ago, m haynes said:

Here's my 1st attempt. The picks I would make.

• 1st round. 15th overall.   ------------------   Mac Jones   QB

Sure, I suppose

• 2nd round. 47th overall. ------------------- Terrace Marshall Jr. WR

Do you see him as a #1 receiver? I think you could have a lot of realllly high potential guys available at this pick still

• 3rd round (compensatory pick). -----------  Landon Dickerson OG/C

Idk anything about the player but i'm all about the position. Onwenu would do great at tackle and if this kid can start day 1 i'm all for it

• 4th round. 110th overall. ------------------   Tyler Shelvin  NT

Awesome if he is still there, I feel like he will go earlier

• 4th round (compensatory pick). ----------    Andre Cisco  S

Noooooo way he is available, this kid could be a 2nd rounder

• 4th round (compensatory pick). ----------    Kelvin Joseph CB

Don't know the player but fine with the pick .. surprised you didn't go more DL though

• 5th round. 142nd overall.   ----------------    Shi Smith WR

Yessss, id be surpised if he is still around this late though

• Like 1