2021 Patriots Draft

m haynes

2 hours ago, Crimmage said:

Do you see him as a #1 receiver? I think you could have a lot of realllly high potential guys available at this pick still

Yes, Plays inside and out and he from LSU. He was their #1.

• 4th round. 110th overall. ------------------   Tyler Shelvin  NT

Awesome if he is still there, I feel like he will go earlier

I used a draft simulator to get a feel where they would fall. I was a shocked as you are.

Andre Cisco  S

Same. It nuts how many times I see him in later RDs.

Don't know the player but fine with the pick .. surprised you didn't go more DL though

Two way player CB/S in college. I like those type.  I wanted to draft more DTs however they were to small or didn't fit what we need. Big people! DTs list at 6'2 and under 290 are a waste of time so I passed.

New Vid came out. It will save me from typing👍

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnBAZLXf50g

My only advice is that every year there is always a player everyone thinks the Patriots are going to pick, and we don't. Last year I think it was Zach Baun. This year it is Shi Smith. Previously it has been Lauletta, Jordan Love, Irv Smith...etc etc

We won't draft him.

• Like 1

On 12/31/2020 at 2:57 PM, m haynes said:

I made the draft selections in the forum mock offseason so far of Baron Browning and Ihmir Smith-Marsette. Just picked Michal Menet too.

After the Ihmir pick, I did a forum search for that name and found your list. I was happy to see Browning on there too. I guess you and I have a similar eye for draft prospects. Browning was a second round pick which I am pumped about because he is a first round talent, and Ihmir I got in the fourth which again is a great value. Wide outs are supposed to be deep this year yet again and Ihmir in years past could easily be a mid/late first round pick.

Michal Menet in the fifth round was a good get too. Happy with the draft so far.

6 minutes ago, biggie. said:

Is it weird I'm kind of hoping for a boring draft where it's nothing but trade downs, offensive line and defense?

Nope, I've kind of thought the same .. all of the talk is about trade ups to get one of the top 5 QBs .. it sure seems like you could take advantage of that situation and trade back to stack picks. 

I really like the depth in this draft personally and would be more than happy to have 4+ picks in the first 3 rounds. You wouldn't get that one ELITE player everyone talks about.. but you have sooo many holes on this team that you could make much more of a long term impact trading back imo

55 minutes ago, Crimmage said:

Nope, I've kind of thought the same .. all of the talk is about trade ups to get one of the top 5 QBs .. it sure seems like you could take advantage of that situation and trade back to stack picks. 

I really like the depth in this draft personally and would be more than happy to have 4+ picks in the first 3 rounds. You wouldn't get that one ELITE player everyone talks about.. but you have sooo many holes on this team that you could make much more of a long term impact trading back imo

The only quarterback I'd take in the first is Lawrence, who we have zero shot at.

Wilson is Jimmy Clausen 2.0 and I'm not a fan of Fields either.

I'd like Lance in the later rounds, but he will likely go in the top 10 and he's too risky to take in the first, especially in a trade up. I love his potential, but he's a major project.

I wouldn't mind Jones in the later rounds either, but he bores the living crap out of me and will likely be long gone by then. Trask wouldn't be bad.

Edited by biggie.

10 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

Michal Menet in the fifth round was a good get too. Happy with the draft so far.

Solid, but can he play guard that's my concern. Reason, he will be a backup at center for (signed) Andrews.  I love versatility on the OL.

8 hours ago, biggie. said:

Wilson is Jimmy Clausen 2.0

I don't see that at all. Clausen was a robot, mechanical and the complete opposite to Wilson. He moves with ease, throw from different arm angles, i just don't see it.

9 hours ago, biggie. said:

he bores the living crap out of me

Also your boring comment on Jones.  I not sure how to take that. He can bore the heck out of me if he wins!!!!

Trask wouldn't be bad.

Now I can see using a Clauson comparison.

10 hours ago, biggie. said:

Is it weird I'm kind of hoping for a boring draft where it's nothing but trade downs, offensive line and defense?

Nah that would be cool. And the media and NFL Gen will have us in the bottom 5 of 'who won the draft', and I'll be sniggering. 

The only quarterback I'd take in the first is Lawrence, who we have zero shot at.

Wilson is Jimmy Clausen 2.0 and I'm not a fan of Fields either.

I'd like Lance in the later rounds, but he will likely go in the top 10 and he's too risky to take in the first, especially in a trade up. I love his potential, but he's a major project.

I wouldn't mind Jones in the later rounds either, but he bores the living crap out of me and will likely be long gone by then. Trask wouldn't be bad.

I nearly agree. I'd take two - Lawrence and Wilson (I disagree with your comp).

But yeah the rest are going to be overdrafted. Lance is going in top 15 for sure, which is hilarious. Jones and Trask will go R1 too. 

I'd rather trade down, and figure out a way of getting QBOTF a different way 

2 hours ago, m haynes said:

Solid, but can he play guard that's my concern. Reason, he will be a backup at center for (signed) Andrews.  I love versatility on the OL.

Not sure Andrews is back. Ted Karras is a free agent and did fine in his place so at a reduced cost I could see that option being pursued.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

Not sure Andrews is back. Ted Karras is a free agent and did fine in his place so at a reduced cost I could see that option being pursued.

I get more and more concerned about Andrews with each passing day.. they could resign him at any moment.. but it seems like he may be less likely to take a team friendly deal than I thought. If he were, wouldn't he be resigned by now? They are probably letting him test the market then come back and match a deal like they did with Hightower a few years back. I figured he would sign something like 3 yr 21 million or 4 year 28 million. Teams may be scared of his condition that caused him to miss a year and not want to give him a long term deal. 

Karras at 3 million would be fine.. but he played pretty well and may command closer to 5 now? If Andrews is gone I'd 100% sign him so that you aren't forced to draft someone really high. 

If you lose Andrews and Thuney you're in trouble imo.. because they could easily be looking to draft a LT too. I don't know the OL market at all this offseason but I think BB is much happier drafting OL than signing a free agent given how successful they have been. 

My ideal scenario would be: 

LT -> Day 2 Draft Pick

LG -> Wynn 

C -> Andrews

RG -> Mason

RT -> Onwenu 

Swing -> Herron 

Supposed to be a bunch of good LT prospects in this draft.. if you can trade back and gather up 2nd rounders you can fill a lot of needs.