2021 Patriots Draft

m haynes

10 hours ago, biggie. said:

I get Clausen vibes from Wilson beause he's an arrogant rich kid with a sense of entitlement; stuff like that is a major turn off for me.

Wilson and Clausen certainly look alike.

A list of my favorite players during my time researching this draft. Keep in mind I don't have many 1st round players because my ideal scenario would be trading back multiple times to stack up as many 2nd/3rd round picks because I think this draft is stacked there. 

LB: ( Need a future leader at LB)
Zaven Collins -> He is everything BB wants in a LB, one of the few players I could see him falling in love with in the 1st round. He could go anywhere from 15-25 but I def think he's a 1st rounder. 
Nick Bolton -> A little small for a BB LB but he's got a lot of potential. Could maybe be there early 2nd

CB: (Need a future #1 CB)
Jaycee Horn -> I think he has the highest ceiling of all CB in class .. likely going to be drafted 10-20

WR: ( Theme I want is fast, shifty and tough players .. anti Harrys)

D'Wayne Eskridge -> Older, ready to jump in and contribute. FAST
Elijah Moore -> Fast, shifty, some cuts literally caused DB's to fall over, fun to watch .. can take a hit and hold onto the catch
Jaelon Darden -> Would be YAC monster on this team, so shifty .. PERFECT for this team .. small and under 180lb so should be available in the 3rd-5th and people will regret not drafting him
Amari Rodgers -> He's not a burner.. but he just seems like he will have a great NFL career. Don't feel like he would be a good combo with Meyers though

QB: 

Kellen Mond -> He has all the tools and he fits into my dream of trading for Minshew and giving him 1-2 seasons with BB to potentially develop into a top 15 QB ( or pass the offense on to developmental guy)

TE:  (Would love 2 receiving threats at TE)
Brevin Jordan -> I'm not sold on Keene... and would love seeing Asiasi and Jordan in 2 TE sets. Claims to have consistently heard from the Pats already. 

Safety: (I realllllly pray JoeJuan has an amazing offseason/camp and steps up to not need a safety..but I doubt it)
Andre Cisco
Jevon Holland 
Trevon Moehrig 

DL: (Need guys who can control the line and let LB make plays)
Tyler Shelvin -> This man would be PERFECT for the Pats who really need help on the DL

Edited by Crimmage

15 hours ago, Crimmage said:

I get more and more concerned about Andrews with each passing day.. they could resign him at any moment.. but it seems like he may be less likely to take a team friendly deal than I thought. If he were, wouldn't he be resigned by now? They are probably letting him test the market then come back and match a deal like they did with Hightower a few years back. I figured he would sign something like 3 yr 21 million or 4 year 28 million. Teams may be scared of his condition that caused him to miss a year and not want to give him a long term deal. 

Karras at 3 million would be fine.. but he played pretty well and may command closer to 5 now? If Andrews is gone I'd 100% sign him so that you aren't forced to draft someone really high. 

If you lose Andrews and Thuney you're in trouble imo.. because they could easily be looking to draft a LT too. I don't know the OL market at all this offseason but I think BB is much happier drafting OL than signing a free agent given how successful they have been. 

My ideal scenario would be: 

LT -> Day 2 Draft Pick

LG -> Wynn 

C -> Andrews

RG -> Mason

RT -> Onwenu 

Swing -> Herron 

Supposed to be a bunch of good LT prospects in this draft.. if you can trade back and gather up 2nd rounders you can fill a lot of needs. 

Crimm I would go with your Gilmore view when it comes to center. Andrews if the price is right or a C/G in the draft. Say bye to Karras. Who i look at as a JAG.  The draft is loaded with centers you can get quality in the 4/5th rds.

https://www.si.com/nfl/draft/news/first-take-top-center-prospects-for-the-2021-nfl-draft.

Drake Jackson 6-1, 313 Kentucky

Alec Lindstrom 6-3, 290 Boston College ( Love BC OL players. They never fail! at the next level)

https://texansunfiltered.com/read/2021-nfl-draft-profile-11-alec-lindstrom-boston-college-center

Mike Novitsky, Buffalo - 91.2

Michal Menet 6-3, 313 Penn State

Edited by m haynes

1 minute ago, m haynes said:

Crimm I would go with your Gilmore view when it comes to center.

The difference is I believe Andrews offers a leadership quality to the offensive line that is important to retain. 

You can only replace so many people in one offseason through the draft. Unless of course BB is comfortable replacing him with a late round player ( Wasn't Andrews undrafted and started all his rookie season?). 

I would be concerned having Mason be the only veteran on the offensive line, it's important to have a really good OL when you've got an average QB imo. Look at the Browns last season, they upgraded their OL and Mayfield suddenly looked good again.. when the year before everyone hated him when his OL sucked. 

Every QB is 10x better throwing in a clean pocket with 3+ seconds to throw

I say this especially because I have a feeling they will want to draft a LT in the first two rounds as well.

4 minutes ago, Crimmage said:

The difference is I believe Andrews offers a leadership quality to the offensive line that is important to retain. 

Sorry I didn't make my self clear. I want Andrews back for this reason.   I'm not concerned with going young. IMO we have a young veteran line. I also am optimistic that Yodny Cajuste is finally healthy. Who I loved when we drafted him.

https://www.clnsmedia.com/source-patriots-ot-yodny-cajuste-is-fully-healthy-full-go-for-2021-season/

I still would look at OT however only if the rating is so high you can't pass. I'm talking specifically these OT in the 2nd.

Christian Darrisaw

Jalen Mayfield

Teven Jenkins

There is no way in heck they fall to the Pats in the 2nd however I would have Usain Bolt run the card up if it did happen !!!!!😁

• Like 1

I'm alright with over drafting a bit if you like a player, especially if it is outside of the 1st round. If a guy is rated as a 3rd but you really want to make sure you get him, drafting him in the middle of the 2nd isn't so bad. 

This is also why I think BB will push for value and trade back a lot with the 1st round pick: My Mock

• Patriots trade Gilmore to Titans for 53 (They cut Butler and Patriots resign McCourty and another vet for 1yr) 
  • Patriots trade 15 to Bears for 20 & 84
  • Patriots trade 20 to Browns for 26 & 90
  • Patriots trade 26 to Denver for 40 & 71

Assuming no other trades you "could" have a draft kind of like: 

• 2nd, 40: Nick Bolton LB
    • He's smaller than BB wants at LB but that's the direction of the league, this guy is legit
  • 2nd, 47: Liam Eichenberg LT 
    • I was really high on Cajuste too.. but doubt they trust him to take over LT and move Wynn to LG
    • Idk much about OL but he's rated as a late 1st / 2nd rounder in most mocks
  • 2nd, 53 : Kellen Mond QB
    • Really good developmental QB, i'm happy to draft him a little earlier due to having so many picks in the 2nd
    • He is a good bridge QB candidate, give him at least 1 year to improve and learn the system
  • 3rd, 71 : Tyler Shelvin DT
    • Desperately need a player like him on this DL 
  • 3rd, 84 Brevin Jordan TE
    • I'm not huge on taking another TE but if he is here I think the value is way too good to pass up
    • I would love to have more 2 TE sets with him and Asiasi running wild .. but doubt they carry 4 TE ( Asiasi/Keene/ Jordan / Veteran)
  • 3rd, 90: Paris Ford S
    • Could be gone earlier than this but he has awesome potential. Give him a year behind McCourty and he can do great things 
  • 3rd comp: Kenneth Gainwell RB
    • Would be a great pairing for Harris when Sony is gone, he can run and catch the ball
  • 4th, 110: D'Wayne Eskridge
    • 4.33 speed, undersized which is why he will fall and a bit older .. he would be a start on this offense day 1
    • Gives Harry a chance to step up one last time as the X receiver / sign one in free agency
  • 4th comp: Jaelon Darden WR
    • Fast, shifty and will make the league regret not picking him earlier 
    • I think he could play in and outside of the slot 
  • 4th comp: Michal Menet C
    • If Andrews is gone, need options at C 
  • 5th, 142: Quinn Meinerz C/OG
    • Blew up the senior bowl and is huge
  • 6th, 171 Evan McPherson K
    • Yay another kicker
  • 6th, 173 : Ali Fayad OLB
    • Special teams
  • 7th, 205: Zech McPhearson CB
    • Special Teams

42 minutes ago, Crimmage said:

I'm alright with over drafting a bit if you like a player, especially if it is outside of the 1st round. If a guy is rated as a 3rd but you really want to make sure you get him, drafting him in the middle of the 2nd isn't so bad. 

This is also why I think BB will push for value and trade back a lot with the 1st round pick: My Mock

• Patriots trade Gilmore to Titans for 53 (They cut Butler and Patriots resign McCourty and another vet for 1yr) 
  • Patriots trade 15 to Bears for 20 & 84
  • Patriots trade 20 to Browns for 26 & 90
  • Patriots trade 26 to Denver for 40 & 71

Assuming no other trades you "could" have a draft kind of like: 

• 2nd, 40: Nick Bolton LB
    • He's smaller than BB wants at LB but that's the direction of the league, this guy is legit
  • 2nd, 47: Liam Eichenberg LT 
    • I was really high on Cajuste too.. but doubt they trust him to take over LT and move Wynn to LG
    • Idk much about OL but he's rated as a late 1st / 2nd rounder in most mocks
  • 2nd, 53 : Kellen Mond QB
    • Really good developmental QB, i'm happy to draft him a little earlier due to having so many picks in the 2nd
    • He is a good bridge QB candidate, give him at least 1 year to improve and learn the system
  • 3rd, 71 : Tyler Shelvin DT
    • Desperately need a player like him on this DL 
  • 3rd, 84 Brevin Jordan TE
    • I'm not huge on taking another TE but if he is here I think the value is way too good to pass up
    • I would love to have more 2 TE sets with him and Asiasi running wild .. but doubt they carry 4 TE ( Asiasi/Keene/ Jordan / Veteran)
  • 3rd, 90: Paris Ford S
    • Could be gone earlier than this but he has awesome potential. Give him a year behind McCourty and he can do great things 
  • 3rd comp: Kenneth Gainwell RB
    • Would be a great pairing for Harris when Sony is gone, he can run and catch the ball
  • 4th, 110: D'Wayne Eskridge
    • 4.33 speed, undersized which is why he will fall and a bit older .. he would be a start on this offense day 1
    • Gives Harry a chance to step up one last time as the X receiver / sign one in free agency
  • 4th comp: Jaelon Darden WR
    • Fast, shifty and will make the league regret not picking him earlier 
    • I think he could play in and outside of the slot 
  • 4th comp: Michal Menet C
    • If Andrews is gone, need options at C 
  • 5th, 142: Quinn Meinerz C/OG
    • Blew up the senior bowl and is huge
  • 6th, 171 Evan McPherson K
    • Yay another kicker
  • 6th, 173 : Ali Fayad OLB
    • Special teams
  • 7th, 205: Zech McPhearson CB
    • Special Teams

I would do something like that as well if QB Jones is off the board. I'm not sure I would trade 20 if Collins is still on the board. Where do you project Trask , drafted before 53. I would take Trask over Mond.

Mond is inaccurate as heck and is to long in the pocket. The biggie is accuracy you can only fix it to a point.

Also I'm am not in the camp that say we need a certain type of QB in today's game. To me its crap, the only reason they say that is because its easier to find them in the college game and their legs cover up their/offense mistakes Love, Lance and Fields are prime examples. They can run til the cow come home, they will never carry a team to a SB. Just like Lamar Jackson. Tick Toc, Tick Toc what happens when "old man" sets in!!

It amazes me that teams take a QB when their number one asset are their LEGS !!! Everyone wants the next PM however they over look his game in 99% above the shoulders!!!!!!! Take away his legs and he's still awesome, take away Jackson's legs. Hey Lamar bring your playbook the coach wants to see you.

I have a feeling that one of New Orleans / Pittsburgh will fall in love with Trask .. and either surprise people and draft him in the 1st or trade up in the 2nd and get him... but my feeling is that he will probably get drafted really early in the 2nd round by one of those teams ( or maybe Denver in the 2nd)

• Like 1

On 3/7/2021 at 3:16 AM, Crimmage said:

A list of my favorite players during my time researching this draft. Keep in mind I don't have many 1st round players because my ideal scenario would be trading back multiple times to stack up as many 2nd/3rd round picks because I think this draft is stacked there. 

LB: ( Need a future leader at LB)
Zaven Collins -> He is everything BB wants in a LB, one of the few players I could see him falling in love with in the 1st round. He could go anywhere from 15-25 but I def think he's a 1st rounder. 
Nick Bolton -> A little small for a BB LB but he's got a lot of potential. Could maybe be there early 2nd

You got to think Parsons goes first, some people have JOK as the 2nd best LB too. Good chance Zaven is there at the back of the round. Instead of waiting or moving for Parsons, maybe a trade to the early 20's would be good to grab Zaven. I think it's unlikely we draft him though. I got him going to New Orleans at the end of 1st

WR: ( Theme I want is fast, shifty and tough players .. anti Harrys)

Oh yes. Me too. Speed with route running ability. Chase is ideal for that, but he'll be gone

TE:  (Would love 2 receiving threats at TE)
Brevin Jordan -> I'm not sold on Keene... and would love seeing Asiasi and Jordan in 2 TE sets. Claims to have consistently heard from the Pats already. 

Yeah I also want a tight end. I don't trust BB here though, and one draft of selecting Tight Ends doesn't erase 10 years of neglecting it, for me. I don't expect one, but if I did - Hunter Long would be the one, for me, in something like the 3rd or 4th. Raw, but Boston guy, 6'5 and 255, good all-rounder. Good size and effectiveness at blocking, good route running and hands.

Edited by Hunter2_1

It's rather overwhelming to even process everything that has happened today and how it relates to the draft .. but it looks like the Patriots will be in a good position to move up if they wish. 

Top Needs right now look like: 
- QB

- C

- WR

- 3rd down RB

Whatever happens with Gilmore will determine a lot with a potential need at corner

Imagine adding Jaycee Horn to the secondary at corner? Of Zavon Collins to the front seven? Baron Browning perhaps? I expect the interest to be in Trey Lance and Mac Jones at 15 if available, possibly Jaylen Waddle if there still. But more than likely Kyle Trask will be the only QB left they feel comfortable taking in the first. In that case, maybe they trade down a few spots from 15.

They've put themselves in a good position for the draft. 

I would love Horn in the first to solidify the corner position given how much uncertainty will be there in the next year or so. If they want to trade up and draft Lance i'm alright with that and if they want to trade back and take Collins i'm alright with that too. 

Imo the first round needs to be a replacement for Newton, Gilmore or Hightower. 

QB would be great if they see someone they feel will be the franchise, otherwise I think you need to go with Horn/Surtain/Farley. Gilmore and Jackson could be gone next season.. leaving you with nothing at corner, BB needs a high end corner for an elite defense and after this season you'll be drafting too late to get one. 

Hightower can be effective for one more season then you can spend next years 1st on his replacement to step in right away and take over. 

WR is still too much of a luxury pick, especially given how many guys you can go after in the 2nd / 3rd round. 

40 minutes ago, Crimmage said:

They've put themselves in a good position for the draft. 

I would love Horn in the first to solidify the corner position given how much uncertainty will be there in the next year or so. If they want to trade up and draft Lance i'm alright with that and if they want to trade back and take Collins i'm alright with that too. 

Imo the first round needs to be a replacement for Newton, Gilmore or Hightower. 

QB would be great if they see someone they feel will be the franchise, otherwise I think you need to go with Horn/Surtain/Farley. Gilmore and Jackson could be gone next season.. leaving you with nothing at corner, BB needs a high end corner for an elite defense and after this season you'll be drafting too late to get one. 

Hightower can be effective for one more season then you can spend next years 1st on his replacement to step in right away and take over. 

WR is still too much of a luxury pick, especially given how many guys you can go after in the 2nd / 3rd round. 

I agree with everything here. Only thing is Zavon Collins at 15 is reasonable to me. So if Horn, and so is Trask if Jones/Lance/Waddle are off the board.