2021 Patriots Draft

m haynes

3 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Yeah maybe has to be this year

Although next season you have to think there would be fewer QB needy teams. I'm not ruling out another 7 or 8 win season which would see us in a similar position. 

I'm still unsure if I'd go all in this draft or next

Its not about not having a QB, teams are very willing to draft a QB when they already have one, the Cardinals drafted QBs in the first round on back to back years. This year the 49ers moved up and they have Jimmy G, last year the Packers Drafted Love and they had the League MVP. Just because teams have a QB doesn't make them less desirable as draft targets.

41 minutes ago, The Third Rider said:

Its not about not having a QB, teams are very willing to draft a QB when they already have one, the Cardinals drafted QBs in the first round on back to back years. This year the 49ers moved up and they have Jimmy G, last year the Packers Drafted Love and they had the League MVP. Just because teams have a QB doesn't make them less desirable as draft targets.

That's true. But I do still think this year will represent only the 3rd time 4 QBs are taken in top 10. I don't expect that next season

I have a major problem trading up for Fields using up draft capital when you can get Mond later. My problem with this strategy is Mond could go in the 20s and you are now screwed.

I see the same QBs when I look at the two. They each have different strength however they even out if I were to grade them. EX Mond goes through progression and Field has better physical traits.

This is the problem we all have, we can only look at the two on the internet and we don't have the knowledge to truly evaluate them.  We can only hope the Pats pick the right one and not the bust of the draft.

My concerns is that Fields played for OHS and is a product of the system. What happen when he faces the NFL's defenses, does he have the ability to read the defense.

Mond major concern in his speed going though his progressions and holding on to the ball to long.

I would go with Mond however many would consider him a reach at 15, but the Pats have to take him. You just cant afford to mess around with the last QB or you have to choose on a guy IMO that have a slim chance to become a starter. Fields my problem is wasting a crap load of draft capital on a boom or bust prospect.

Someone mentioned trading in this year draft and getting picks into the 2022 draft. EX trade 46 for 55 and get a 2022 pick in the trade. IMO that s a great strategy. You draft Mond and if he doesn't work out you trade the farm in 2022 to get a QB.

You can't do it this year because it to late and the teams at the top all need QBs. This years draft has two QB that are elite and the rest all have faults in their game. EX Jones physical traits.

PS The forfeited 3rd RD pick really kills us in so many ways trying to trade for a QB.

13 hours ago, m haynes said:

I have a major problem trading up for Fields using up draft capital when you can get Mond later. My problem with this strategy is Mond could go in the 20s and you are now screwed.

I see the same QBs when I look at the two. They each have different strength however they even out if I were to grade them. EX Mond goes through progression and Field has better physical traits.

This is the problem we all have, we can only look at the two on the internet and we don't have the knowledge to truly evaluate them.  We can only hope the Pats pick the right one and not the bust of the draft.

My concerns is that Fields played for OHS and is a product of the system. What happen when he faces the NFL's defenses, does he have the ability to read the defense.

Mond major concern in his speed going though his progressions and holding on to the ball to long.

I would go with Mond however many would consider him a reach at 15, but the Pats have to take him. You just cant afford to mess around with the last QB or you have to choose on a guy IMO that have a slim chance to become a starter. Fields my problem is wasting a crap load of draft capital on a boom or bust prospect.

Someone mentioned trading in this year draft and getting picks into the 2022 draft. EX trade 46 for 55 and get a 2022 pick in the trade. IMO that s a great strategy. You draft Mond and if he doesn't work out you trade the farm in 2022 to get a QB.

You can't do it this year because it to late and the teams at the top all need QBs. This years draft has two QB that are elite and the rest all have faults in their game. EX Jones physical traits.

PS The forfeited 3rd RD pick really kills us in so many ways trying to trade for a QB.

I can't claim to be an expert, but I'm hearing all throughout their respective careers so far up to about a week ago - Lawrence and Fields were the country's 1 and 2.

"Lawrence (Cartersville, Cartersville, Ga.) had a 0.999 rating, which was one-one thousandth better than Fields (Harrison, Kennesaw, Ga.), who had a 0.998. Lawrence committed to Clemson, and Fields chose Georgia.  "

Trevor Lawrence (24 games)-Justin Fields (20 games) comparison since 2019:

~Lawrence: 58 TD passes, 16 rushing TDs, 12 INTs, 7,192 total yards, 67.2 completion percentage.

~Fields: 56 TD passes, 14 rushing TDs, eight INTs, 5,552 total yards, 68.9 completion percentage.

All of a sudden this stopped being a two-horse race and somehow Fields is dropping? 

Like I said, I'm not expert, but so I rely on so called experts to inform me. I've seen no comparisons of Mond and Fields. No idea what Mond is like even, but I've not seen anything to suggest Mond will be anything earlier than day 2

Schofield's Mock;

1. Lawrence

2. Wilson

3. Fields

4. Pitts

5. Sewell

6. Chase

7. Waddle

8. Lance

9. Jones

10. Surtain

11. Slater

12. Smith

13. Darrisaw

14. Vera-Tucker

15. TRADE BACK 

in this scenario, all QBs are off board before we could come up. No dice at 8 or 9 because they want QBs. No dice at 4 and 5 because they want their generational talents

Working on a mock draft, got something like this going so far...

1. JAX - Lawrence

2. NYJ - Wilson

3. SF - Fields

4. DEN (trade 9th pick to ATL) - Lance

5. CIN - Sewell

6. MIA - Pitts

7. DET - Chase

8. CAR - Jones

9. LV (trade 17th pick to ATL) - Slater

10. DAL - Surtain

11. NYG - Waddle

12. PHI - Horn

13. LAC - Darrisaw

14. MIN - Vera Tucker

15. NE (Parsons is on board, as is Devonta Smith. Thinking a trade back and take Stokes or Farley later. Davis, Trask or Mond in 2nd)

Or a nicer scenario for us...

1. JAX - Lawrence

2. NYJ - Wilson

3. SF - Lance

4. ATL - Pitts

5. CIN - Sewell

6. MIA - Chase

7. DET - Waddle

8. CAR - Slater

9. NE (trade 15th, 46th and 2022 2nd round rounder to Denver) - Jones or Fields *

*this trade still ends up in more value for DEN, but if it's still too cheap for them, take out 46th and use next year 1st

Edited by Hunter2_1

11 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

That would be such a Belichick thing to do and I would strongly dislike both that pick and what it represents in the process.

🤣

Is there any other state to be, as a Patriots fan on draft night?

Edited by Hunter2_1

Do you like either of these trades?

(Patriots to 7): New England trades 15th overall, 46th overall, 139th overall and the 2022 1st round pick for Detroit's 7th overall and 153rd. (Probably for Jones, NE may feel need to jump Denver)

(Patriots to 4) New England trades 15th overall, 46th overall, 2022 first round pick, 2023 first round pick for Atlanta's 4th overall, and a 4th round pick (Atlanta make ideal swap to get into middle of draft for pass rushers, NE get best possible position for QBotF. NE also now have four 4ths, and will package these up to move back into late 2nd or 3rd)